PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offensive Line - scouting the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
We saw more of Vollmer at RT and Light at LT when Light came back because as said earlier BB said Light can't really play the right side and Vollmer can. That doesn't mean that Vollmer isn't a better LT, it means the preference is to play both Light and Vollmer and that's really the only way it could've been done.

There isn't really any WR that will be available at #22 that is worthy of the pick. I'd rather address WR in the first round in 2011 and possibly in the 2nd round this year. Again, I don't see Belichick using a first rounder on an OLB. A lot of people would love to see it, but we had a gaping hole there last year and we didn't take one. Maybe there is someone there that he likes this year, but I don't see anyone that BB would deem as a can't miss guy. A lot of these guys are often projects and I don't think Belichick likes drafting projects in the first round.

I'm not saying Bulaga is a stone cold lock at 22 and I'm not saying OL is our highest priority. There are plenty of guys I'd like to see us draft at 22 or higher if we possibly move up. If Bulaga is the best guy available when we pick, I'd take him rather than trading back. I don't have a problem with trading back, but if Bulaga is there I think he's worthy of the pick. I think he's going to have a very productive NFL career and would love to have Vollmer and Bulaga as our tackles for years to come.

I do think that OL is an undervalued need. OL don't fall off as quickly as RB's and such, but Light has always had trouble with speed rushers and it is only going to get worse as he gets older. I don't know how BB thought Kaczur was good enough to be extended because the guy continually gets burned when he faces an adequate threat. I think he's a better fit a guard.

We saw more of Vollmer at RT and Light at LT when Light came back because as said earlier BB said Light can't really play the right side and Vollmer can. That doesn't mean that Vollmer isn't a better LT, it means the preference is to play both Light and Vollmer and that's really the only way it could've been done.

There isn't really any WR that will be available at #22 that is worthy of the pick. I'd rather address WR in the first round in 2011 and possibly in the 2nd round this year. Again, I don't see Belichick using a first rounder on an OLB. A lot of people would love to see it, but we had a gaping hole there last year and we didn't take one. Maybe there is someone there that he likes this year, but I don't see anyone that BB would deem as a can't miss guy. A lot of these guys are often projects and I don't think Belichick likes drafting projects in the first round.

I'm not saying Bulaga is a stone cold lock at 22 and I'm not saying OL is our highest priority. There are plenty of guys I'd like to see us draft at 22 or higher if we possibly move up. If Bulaga is the best guy available when we pick, I'd take him rather than trading back. I don't have a problem with trading back, but if Bulaga is there I think he's worthy of the pick. I think he's going to have a very productive NFL career and would love to have Vollmer and Bulaga as our tackles for years to come.

I do think that OL is an undervalued need. OL don't fall off as quickly as RB's and such, but Light has always had trouble with speed rushers and it is only going to get worse as he gets older. I don't know how BB thought Kaczur was good enough to be extended because the guy continually gets burned when he faces an adequate threat. I think he's a better fit a guard.
NE has four picks in the first and second rounds, you state OL is an undervalued need, in order to assess the team's needs where do you rank them as of today? That will help outline priorities for using those picks. Meanwhile, here's another glowing paragraph on your boy: The Scouts Notebook
2-12-10

* Iowa LT Bryan Bulaga is basically the opposite of Davis. He does a great job of mirroring the DE. Excellent lateral agility. There are times when he looks flat out great in pass pro. Bryan uses his hands pretty well. He has good balance. Does an excellent job of walling off defenders on run plays so that there is a good running lane. There are a couple of factors that will really affect his value. We need to see how tall Bulaga is and how long his arms are. LTs in the NFL need to have good length so that they can cover a lot of space and can keep defenders away from their body. If Bulaga is more than 6'5 and has decent arm length he could solidify a spot in the Top 10. I really like him. I still have more tape to watch. Bulaga missed some time due to injury.

NE has four picks in the first and second rounds, you state OL is an undervalued need, in order to assess the team's needs where do you rank them as of today? That will help outline priorities for using those picks. Meanwhile, here's another glowing paragraph on your boy: The Scouts Notebook

I don't know why but for some reason I found myself watching a lot of Iowa's game this season. I think it was because I like watching Ricky Stanzi play, and because they played such barn-burner games. Anyway, I came away impressed with Bulaga time and time again. I think he'd make an elite RT and a pretty good LT. I was really impressed with his bowl game against GT, where he basically completely shutdown Derrick Morgan.

It's hard to assess draft needs before free agenct. I don't see the DL being as big of a need as you do. We still have Warren and will most likely have Wilfork (he will definitely be tagged if we can't reach a deal). I think Mike Wright is capable of starting at RDE and has earned the right to be given a chance. He's not a Seymour obviously, but he's a good player. Pryor, Brace, and Richard were all drafted last year and I'm curious to see where they are after a year in the NFL. I'd consider a Jared Odrick, but I don't know if I'd rather have him than a Bulaga. I don't think a first round pick has to be used on DL unless Wilfork is gone. I agree that WR is a need, but I see the 2nd round and free agency as the options there. There is no WR I can see us plausibly taking at 22. I'd have no problem if we were to use one the 2nd's on a Golden Tate or Arrelious Benn and/or address the need through a trade or free agency. OLB is our biggest need IMO. I still have high hopes for Crable and hope he can contribute, but after that there isn't anything to be excited about.

If I had to rank them right now, I'd go OLB, WR (only b/c of Welker's torn ACL), OL as my top 3. And I don't think OLB is very likely in round 1 just because a lot of guys are projects. I think we'd be more likely to see an OLB in the 2nd/3rd round like we did with Crable and maybe a FA brought in. I think Bulaga at 22 is a safe pick who can come in an contribute immediately if asked to. Light has one year left on his deal, Neal is contemplating retirement, and Kaczur can be upgraded. I doubt Light will be retained and expected to be a starting LT after 2010 at the age of 33, and giving Bulaga a year in the Pats offense would ease the transition even if Bulaga doesn't come in and start from day 1 this season.

I don't know why but for some reason I found myself watching a lot of Iowa's game this season. I think it was because I like watching Ricky Stanzi play, and because they played such barn-burner games. Anyway, I came away impressed with Bulaga time and time again. I think he'd make an elite RT and a pretty good LT. I was really impressed with his bowl game against GT, where he basically completely shutdown Derrick Morgan.

It's hard to assess draft needs before free agenct. I don't see the DL being as big of a need as you do. We still have Warren and will most likely have Wilfork (he will definitely be tagged if we can't reach a deal). I think Mike Wright is capable of starting at RDE and has earned the right to be given a chance. He's not a Seymour obviously, but he's a good player. Pryor, Brace, and Richard were all drafted last year and I'm curious to see where they are after a year in the NFL. I'd consider a Jared Odrick, but I don't know if I'd rather have him than a Bulaga. I don't think a first round pick has to be used on DL unless Wilfork is gone. I agree that WR is a need, but I see the 2nd round and free agency as the options there. There is no WR I can see us plausibly taking at 22. I'd have no problem if we were to use one the 2nd's on a Golden Tate or Arrelious Benn and/or address the need through a trade or free agency. OLB is our biggest need IMO. I still have high hopes for Crable and hope he can contribute, but after that there isn't anything to be excited about.

If I had to rank them right now, I'd go OLB, WR (only b/c of Welker's torn ACL), OL as my top 3. And I don't think OLB is very likely in round 1 just because a lot of guys are projects. I think we'd be more likely to see an OLB in the 2nd/3rd round like we did with Crable and maybe a FA brought in. I think Bulaga at 22 is a safe pick who can come in an contribute immediately if asked to. Light has one year left on his deal, Neal is contemplating retirement, and Kaczur can be upgraded. I doubt Light will be retained and expected to be a starting LT after 2010 at the age of 33, and giving Bulaga a year in the Pats offense would ease the transition even if Bulaga doesn't come in and start from day 1 this season.
I thought Bulaga had a good Orange Bowl, that's all I've seen of him. There's a lot to like. The Freshman DL they had playing RT wasn't bad on Morgan either.

Let's assume Wilfork is re-signed or tagged, we'll skip any hold out discussion and say NE makes no change from the DL currently on the roster: Warren, Wilfork, Wright, Pryor, Brace, Richard, Grady

Wright has been the #5 DL, last season he moved to #4, now you project him as a starter - that leaves Pryor, Brace, and possibly Grady as reserve NTs, Richard and Brace become the reserve DEs... That's very thin and part of the reason I rank DL as the #2 priority for the offseason. Perhaps Wilfork can kick out to DE more often and Pryor can carry a bigger load at NT, perhaps Brace is ready to play, but I don't think NE will have that answer before the draft. If BB does play a 4-3 more often, he'll want more DL.

Last edited:
WR, DL, and OLB (maybe CB too) need the help more than the OL, that's why I don't get excited about Bulaga or any other projected round one OL - the true value for NE lies later.

What do you think of Adam Ulatowski?

What do you think of Adam Ulatowski?
He's one of the reasons I'm not too concerned about taking a round one Tackle - he's currently projected to the 5-6 round range, has the size and in the National Championship game appeared to have the mobility NE likes. I have an ESPN replay of the Big 12 Championship game recorded to take a second look at him. I believe Ochmed has said good things about him, which is always a positive starting point.

I thought Bulaga had a good Orange Bowl, that's all I've seen of him. There's a lot to like. The Freshman DL they had playing RT wasn't bad on Morgan either.

Let's assume Wilfork is re-signed or tagged, we'll skip any hold out discussion and say NE makes no change from the DL currently on the roster: Warren, Wilfork, Wright, Pryor, Brace, Richard, Grady

Wright has been the #5 DL, last season he moved to #4, now you project him as a starter - that leaves Pryor, Brace, and possibly Grady as reserve NTs, Richard and Brace become the reserve DEs... That's very thin and part of the reason I rank DL as the #2 priority for the offseason. Perhaps Wilfork can kick out to DE more often and Pryor can carry a bigger load at NT, perhaps Brace is ready to play, but I don't think NE will have that answer before the draft. If BB does play a 4-3 more often, he'll want more DL.

I see your reasoning. I'd say DL needs to be addressed, but I think we have some pretty good depth there. I'd probably rank it 4th right behind OL, personally. I'm not throwing in the towel on Brace and I think Pryor and Richard provide nice depth. Wright seems like one of those blue collar hard working types, and was pretty good at getting pressure on the QB when he was used. He's not going to be as good as Seymour obviously but I think he can be a good starter for us. I'm not opposed to taking a guy like Odrick to play DE for us, but if him and Bulaga are both there, I'm taking Bulaga and maybe addressing DL in the 2nd round or later with Mount Cody or Carrington or even Lamar Houston.

You'd probably rather do the opposite. Take Odrick or Dan Williams in the first and a guy like Saffold or whoever in the 2nd.

Last edited:
You'd probably rather do the opposite. Take Odrick or Dan Williams in the first and a guy like Saffold or whoever in the 2nd.
As of today, pretty much, though I'd also be open to a trade back, Odrick and Cory Wooton are both kids I like carrying late first/early second projections. I think either of those kids platooning with Wright the way Warren did with Anthony Pleasant and Bobby Hamilton sets NE up for the length of Warren's contract.

As of today, pretty much, though I'd also be open to a trade back, Odrick and Cory Wooton are both kids I like carrying late first/early second projections. I think either of those kids platooning with Wright the way Warren did with Anthony Pleasant and Bobby Hamilton sets NE up for the length of Warren's contract.

You think Wooton can play 3-4 DE? I haven't seen him play but I've heard him compared to Mathias Kiwanuka who is more of a 4-3 DE. I'm not really a huge fan of either, but Odrick is starting to grow on me.

You think Wooton can play 3-4 DE? I haven't seen him play but I've heard him compared to Mathias Kiwanuka who is more of a 4-3 DE. I'm not really a huge fan of either, but Odrick is starting to grow on me.
He's listed as 6'6" 280, but he looked heavier in their bowl game against Auburn. They played Missouri over a year ago in a 2008 bowl game where he hurt his knee; in that game he looked like Crable with chicken legs. In the Auburn game a year later his legs looked thicker and he had more sand in his pants, it looked to me as if his rehab allowed him to bulk up and build up his legs. I'll be watching for his Combine weigh-in to see where he's at, but I think he can easily get close to 300 and play the RDE in NE's 3-4.

Scout.com: NFL Draft Q&A: Indiana OT Rodger Saffold
CS: During your time at the Shrine game, I’m sure you met with a number of teams. What teams did you meet with and were there teams that showed more interest in you than others?

Saffold: I basically talked with every team; they want to get your information, see what you can do on the field and critique you from those standpoints. The teams that showed the most interest in me were the Cleveland Browns, Chicago Bears, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots. There were a bunch of other teams I spoke with; it was just a pleasure to talk with every team, because they tell you what you should work on.

Hopefully Dante Scarnecchia works him out prior to the Draft. That would almost guarantee that the Patriots are very interested in him.

Hopefully Dante Scarnecchia works him out prior to the Draft. That would almost guarantee that the Patriots are very interested in him.
Dante was at last year's Shrine game and worked with Vollmer, which was why he worked him out again at his Pro-Day...Mankins, Kaczur, Koppen, & Wendell are all Shrine Game Alumni too. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back