PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offensive Line - scouting the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Veldheer sounds more and more like the 2010 verson of Vollmer to me. If all the hype from that article as far as athleticism goes it sounds like he would be a steal. Get him into a Pro strength and conditioning program and i bet he bulks up a bit more with that 6'8" frame. I don't think he makes the immediate impact that Vollmer did for us this year, but I'd say he breaks the starting roster by 2011. think he would fit inside for the pats with all the athleticism? Played center in HS...would leave me to believe he is versatile.

Veldheer sounds more and more like the 2010 verson of Vollmer to me. If all the hype from that article as far as athleticism goes it sounds like he would be a steal. Get him into a Pro strength and conditioning program and i bet he bulks up a bit more with that 6'8" frame. I don't think he makes the immediate impact that Vollmer did for us this year, but I'd say he breaks the starting roster by 2011. think he would fit inside for the pats with all the athleticism? Played center in HS...would leave me to believe he is versatile.
Vollmer's O-line coach in college was the same coach who developed Kaczur. Kac was a technically sound LT coming out of college and Vollmer had a similar foundation for Dante to build on. The question for BB and Dante: does drafting this kid make sense when you'll need to keep him on the roster to retain him while you get him up to speed on his skills? They did it for Orhnberger, so the answer may very well be yes - then again, as of today, the Pats don't have any great need at Tackle...

Yeah, I officially want Veldheer, with the right guidance he can be a monster and protect TFB for the next decade.

Maurkice Pouncey at 22! (If McClain, Kindle & Dez Bryant are gone, that is.) Who's with me?

While he's probably the better of the Centers available I wouldn't want to spend a 2nd round pick on him, I think there are several guys lower down on the draft charts who, with some work, could be very effective players.

At this moment I like Jerry Hughes, Tyson Alaula, and Alex Carrington in the 2nd, the problem is that we need more picks in rounds 3-6, there is PLENTY of talent down on the boards, the issue is getting them and then developing them.

At this moment I like Jerry Hughes, Tyson Alaula, and Alex Carrington in the 2nd, the problem is that we need more picks in rounds 3-6, there is PLENTY of talent down on the boards, the issue is getting them and then developing them.

This is a really solid 2nd round. Alaula played in the 3-4 at Cal and is a nasty disruptive force. I wish he were better against the run, but you helped cover that by bringing in Carrington to man the elephant backer slot outside of Alauha.

If Carrington runs a 4.6 at the combine and shows a little wiggle, he could be a solid OLB in our defense provided he gets down to 270 pounds.

Hughes is a guy I go back and forth with. The highlight tape says he is a beast of a pass rusher, a real playmaker and a guy that can take over games. The game tape says that when teams ran at him, they had success. Not something BB is likely to ignore.

If Hughes or Carrington learns to cover, then we could be gold at the OLB spot with these two.

This is a really solid 2nd round. Alaula played in the 3-4 at Cal and is a nasty disruptive force. I wish he were better against the run, but you helped cover that by bringing in Carrington to man the elephant backer slot outside of Alauha.

If Carrington runs a 4.6 at the combine and shows a little wiggle, he could be a solid OLB in our defense provided he gets down to 270 pounds.

Hughes is a guy I go back and forth with. The highlight tape says he is a beast of a pass rusher, a real playmaker and a guy that can take over games. The game tape says that when teams ran at him, they had success. Not something BB is likely to ignore.

If Hughes or Carrington learns to cover, then we could be gold at the OLB spot with these two.

At this point I might even opt for Veldheer in the 2nd instead of one of my other selections, although I really like Petrus (He'll be a Pro-Bowler within 3 years) I'm not sure he'll be available in to us in the 4th (damn Burgess trade), I think Eric Cook (OG) of New Mexico and Kevin Matthews (C) of Texas A&M would be servicable for their positions. I don't think any tackle south of Veldheer has the goods to be a true sleeper.

OG Mike Johnson only ran a 5.37. I think this puts him late 2nd, to mid 3rd? Possible Pats prospect.

Holy crap, Petrus with 45 reps!! The guy is strong!

Here goes Pouncey. He just registered a 5.23 40.

As of 12 Feb, NE's first round selection might better be directed at critical need areas such as Defensive Line, Outside Linebacker, or Wide Receiver.

BOR,

Great analysis ... thanks for keeping us informed. Watching the combine right now and several of OL look great in shorts and tees, but the film don't lie!

Interseting throw away line - Vlad Ducasse does not want to move inside to OG. Wants to play LT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back