PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Odell Thurman released

Status
Not open for further replies.

theONLYJerseypatsfan

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
He would come DIRT cheap and would be great in the inside linebacker position....one more quality ILB would give us IMMENSE depth.

To all those that would say no due to his past problems should remember that peer pressure can also make you an model citizen.

Re: Odell Thurmann Released.......

No.

Some people are turds no matter what.

P.S. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if/when someone posts a "Rae Carruth might be able to help this team" thread

No.

Some people are turds no matter what.

P.S. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if/when someone posts a "Rae Carruth might be able to help this team" thread

You kiss your mother with that sarcastic mouth?

i for one am impressed with Odell's maturity and fundamental understanding of the law.

.....would be great in the inside linebacker position....one more quality ILB would give us IMMENSE depth.

Huh? Are you his agent? Great? Quality? Has he even played the last 2 years?

Huh? Are you his agent? Great? Quality? Has he even played the last 2 years?

Thurmann was a good linebacker when he was in the league...and its not like he is 35 and wants one more crack at NFL stardom. And yes, adding a LB who would be a starter in most other clubs into your rotation is GREAT depth

Although Odell has been trouble, looks like the Bengals are still going to get some bad PR in this case.

BENGALS TO DUMP ODELL FOR MISSING VOLUNTARY WORKOUTS
Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2008, 10:22 a.m. EDT
A league source tells us that the Bengals plan to release linebacker Odell Thurman on Monday.

But we’re told that the move isn’t the result of any relapse of substance abuse or renewed misconduct by the talented-but-troubled defender, who missed most of the past two NFL seasons due to a suspension. Instead, the Bengals allegedly are cutting Thurman for missing voluntary workouts last week.

Thurman participated in a rookie minicamp. After his grandmother recently died, he had to travel to Georgia for the funeral. Betty Thurman raised Odell, whose mother died in 1993 and father died five years ago. Betty Thurman was seriously ill when Odell was reinstated last month by Commissioner Roger Goodell.

The Bengals, per the source, told Thurman to come back to town for so-called Organized Team Activities one day after his grandmother’s funeral. When he got to Georgia, however, Thurman realized that he couldn’t leave so quickly.

Advised that he couldn’t make it back, the Bengals said that he either had to return for the OTAs, or he’d be released. We’re told that his locker was cleaned out on Tuesday, May 13.

Bengals Public Relations Director Jack Brennan told us by phone that he’s not aware of any coming roster moves regarding Odell Thurman.

If the contention regarding the reason for the release is accurate, the move would be a clear violation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, since the workouts were voluntary in nature. Over the past several years, a chronic failure by the NFL Players Association to enforce this rule has contributed to an atmosphere in which teams often think that they can treat attendance at the voluntary drills as mandatory — and thus they often do.

It’s presently unknown whether Thurman will file a grievance due to the decision to cut him. His better move might be to try to latch on with another team, and continue his attempt to fulfill the promise that he showed as a rookie in 2005.

Also, he'd have to go through waivers.

Thurmann was a good linebacker when he was in the league...and its not like he is 35 and wants one more crack at NFL stardom. And yes, adding a LB who would be a starter in most other clubs into your rotation is GREAT depth

I'll be honest I don't remember all the details of Thurmann's transgressions off the top of my head except it was for breaking the substance abuse policy and that fight him and his brother were implicated in Georgia (though nothing came about from it).

However I think the fact that a LB starved team like the Bengals released him, speaks volumes as towards either his character, his dedication to football, or to his current playing ability.

EDIT: Read the post above this, and if its true well the Bengals are turds as well

Last edited:

I'll be honest I don't remember all the details of Thurmann's transgressions off the top of my head except it was for breaking the substance abuse policy and that fight him and his brother were implicated in Georgia (though nothing came about from it).

However I think the fact that a LB starved team like the Bengals released him, speaks volumes as towards either his character, his dedication to football, or to his current playing ability.

EDIT: Read the post above this, and if its true well the Bengals are turds as well

He (presumably) wasn't re-instated last season because he failed to meet with his probation officer in July - which shows pretty poor decision-making. But aside from that fight where no charges were filed, he hasn't had any run-ins concerning substance abuse, which is what I would be concerned with if I were the Patriots. He would come cheap and, provided he's taken the necessary steps to curb his problems, there's little doubting his talent. Who knows if football is important to him, though, considering all that's happened.

Does anyone know what kind of trouble he got into when he was at the University of Georgia? Granted, it's been a long time, but I'm curious.

I wouldn't mind bringing this guy into the fold if they could sign him to a "prove it" deal. Win/win for the Pats.

He seems like the kind of guy the Raiders, Cowboys and COLTS would fight to sign.

:D

The guy has had a lot of issues, but if Florio got it right that the cause of his release was missing a voluntary workout that was the day after his grandmother's funeral (the woman who raised him),

then the applause I would usually give to the Bengals for eliminating a problem guy from their roster becomes a definite boo.

nice fix, by the way!

Thurmann left Georgia after only his Sophmore year, at least a year early, so he is about the same age as some of the guys that were just drafted.

He wa an absolute beast at Georgia, however, he had serious drinking problems, which may or may not have hastened his departure from Georgia.

That being said, it is not like he is off shooting people with his expensive gun. Chris Carter almost drank himslef out of the league in Philly, and once he got himself straigtened out, he was a superstar.

I would love to see the Pats take a shot at him, what is it going to hurt their public image? I say imbrace the hate, bring in Odell, make Godell hand him the Lombardi next year.

How did that old song go? Oh yeah. "NO NO, NO, NO NO NO NO NO NO".

I'd have no problem with them taking a shot on him, the guy has talent. It isn't like it would be a huge risk.

I think the most interesting thing about this transaction is the Bengals are making Dhani Jones the starting MLB, and ex-Patriot ST'er Corey Mays the primary backup. All I can say is yikes.

I am kinda torn here.....I usually like to take low risk high reward chances on guys like these, it takes alot for me not to want to (see pacman), but I think we have a lot going into our LB position this year and I don't think there is much room for a flier guy like Odell.

Who would you rather odell or Seau because I am not sure the is much room for either and I doubt there is any room for both.

ILB? No thanks, I'd rather re-sign Seau and call it a day. Between Mayo, Hobson, Bruschi, Seau, (and AD if they want to play him inside) that's more than enough talent at ILB. :rocker:

Also, he'd have to go through waivers.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets pick him up. They're throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks and they're pretty high on the waiver list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe