PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NY Newsday - Mangini offered Jets HC Slot, will likely accept

Status
Not open for further replies.
We Jet fans dont know if Mangini is ready, but we also know that Tice, Fassell, Haslett and Sherman stink and we wanted no part of them. We are willing to take a shot on Mangini.

DefenseRules said:
I emailed Dan Pires to find out what he knew about all this. He said that money might be a sticking point because Mangini wants to be paid between 2.5 and 3 million a year. :eek:
That's a lot of money for a guy who hasn't really established himself in the league.
Especially considering Tice has been the lowest paid HC and, being from NY, would probably be willing to be so again.

JetsMan57 said:
We Jet fans dont know if Mangini is ready, but we also know that Tice, Fassell, Haslett and Sherman stink and we wanted no part of them. We are willing to take a shot on Mangini.

This goes to show how much you DON'T know.

Mike Sherman is a very solid coach. Its not his fault that the person buying the groceries in Green Bay is doing a lousy job.

DaBruinz said:
Mike Sherman is a very solid coach. Its not his fault that the person buying the groceries in Green Bay is doing a lousy job.

You are aware that he was the one buying the groceries until this season?

DaBruinz said:
If BB was having to "step in" and help with the front 7, is it really telling about Mangini or about Pepper Johnson and Dean Pees?

Good point. However, he didn't have to "step in" at all when Romeo was here.
Who knows? The truth is somewhere in between, IMO. It wouldn't surprise me if BB had to step in at times. Remember, he was a rooky DC learning on the job.
All I know is this defense struggled from September thru November. Why? We won't know until BB retires. :)

Yes according to profootballtalk.com, the sticking point is EM might be asking for too much with Jets management looking to lowball any coach coming in. So Tice might be their man. God, I'd love that.

Anyway, I think it would be a mistake for the Jets & EM both. I just can't imagine a 34yo with only 1yr of being a DC is ready for the NFL. But I guess Del Rio made the jump from positional coach to HC when he was around the same age.

As the Jets fan says on this thread though, they're prob. better off with an unknown potential turd than any of the confirmed turds available.

So who becomes our DC? Pees?

DefenseRules said:
Good point. However, he didn't have to "step in" at all when Romeo was here.
Who knows? The truth is somewhere in between, IMO. It wouldn't surprise me if BB had to step in at times. Remember, he was a rooky DC learning on the job.
All I know is this defense struggled from September thru November. Why? We won't know until BB retires. :)

DefenseRules - Come on. Its plainly obvious why the defense struggled from September through November. Lack of Continuity from injuries. Look at how damaged the defense was. Injuries forced the Pats to play Beisel and Brown when the Pats were really hoping to only have to play one or the other. Vrabel didn't make the move inside until the Denver game, which I think was a mistake by BB & Co. As soon as Vrabel was healthy, he should have been out there in the middle. Make Colvin earn his paycheck. Losing 6 DBs over the course of 6 weeks didn't help. Having Sanders and Seymour among the walking wounded didn't help either.

The lack of continuity killed this team early. And this isn't a complaint. Its fact. When you lose that many players (Pats had 5 new starters on defense at times) your team isn't going to play well.

thats the point, Sherman isn't bad, its just that the packers are cheap and stupid

The Jets are so desperate to emulate the Patriots that they hired a guy with very little experience to run their entire team. The guy has 1 year under his belt as a DC and gets their HC position. Thank goodness we don't have ownership like those idiots.

dhamz said:
You are aware that he was the one buying the groceries until this season?

No. I thought that someone else was buying them, honestly. If that is the case, I stand corrected.

good luck to mangini. And a lot of us saying its a bad move. Well , they said that when BB took the NE job as well so one never knows.

re:

Mangini does not have the experience. I can't believe he will probably end up with a head coaching job.

Belichick coordinated the defense of two championship Giants teams before moving on to Cleveland, and even then he still wasn't a complete coach.

The Jets are a mess, and Mangini will hurt his career by going there. It is a lose-lose situation if he takes the job.

That's too bad. I don't see EM being ready, but hey, who knows. If he becomes a Jesticle, I wish him years of mediocrity and failure in the AFCE.

I still contend losing Donnie Henderson as DC, which probably would happen if EM is hired, would be a huge blow to their D.

CTPatsFan said:
That's too bad. I don't see EM being ready, but hey, who knows. If he becomes a Jesticle, I wish him years of mediocrity and failure in the AFCE.

I still contend losing Donnie Henderson as DC, which probably would happen if EM is hired, would be a huge blow to their D.

He may not be ready but seriously, how much worse could the Jets be without Henderson than they were with him and winning 4 games ?

Cramden said:
He may not be ready but seriously, how much worse could the Jets be without Henderson than they were with him and winning 4 games ?
I guess not much, huh :) But I think much of their failure lays with the O (and losing their 1 and 2 QB).

Good luck, Eric. I appreciate all that you have done with the Patriots.

DaBruinz said:
This goes to show how much you DON'T know.

Funny how you criticize what I do not know, then you dont even know that Sherman was the GM for a few years before this past season.

Sherman is an average HC who road Favre's coattails. He doesnt suck, but not much to write home about either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3