PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Notes from Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.

neuronet

Homer Little
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from Charlotte: one of my less pleasant solo drives I have to admit. Some impressions (I have not read any threads or watched it on TV yet, so this is based on my watching the game in person 18th row, 15 yard line (awesome tic I got very cheap on craig'slist))...

First, Carolina fans were very classy, nobody was a jerk after the game: people actually patted me on the back (in a nice way) to say 'nice game.' Great people all around. Big Patriot fan turnout at the game, which was nice.

That stadium is *loud*. Much louder than I have experienced my one time at Gillette. It is built to encourage noise, even the seats are built so you can slam the seat against the back and make a very loud noise (which they encourage every third down).

Cam Newton is a beast. I knew this already, but by reading some of the commentators here the past week you'd think he was just an average QB. I hope nobody here makes that mistake again.

That PI call on McCourtey was complete freaking BS.He was going for the ball, it should have been offensive PI.

Talib did not seem healthy, seemed to be playing very soft and loose rather than tight, nowhere near the shut-down corner we saw before his re-injury. That was depressing. Gronk did not seem healthy, he was hobbling on the sidelines a lot, sitting out a lot of plays at the beginning it seemed; though his TD was awesome I got it on my cell phone with video I will post when I figure out how.

Our OLine play didn't protect Brady enough, as I had predicted based on our previous troubles with good 4-3 defenses. Brady rarely had much time to throw, he was just always in trouble.

Why did we try to pass it on 3rd and 1 when we were on their 8 and running the ball very effectively? That seemed a stupid play call. Our run game was really humming along.

Our defense could not stop them when we needed to, reminiscent of our last two super bowl losses. Pretty much the exact same situation.

This may sound simplisitc, but I actually put a lot on the Ridley fumble. And that Mankins penalty. Both huge momentum changers.

Carolina is simply the real deal. They are a really good team and deserve mad props. From where they were last year, to this year, it is impressive. NC is going crazy, this was like a playoff game for them. we seemed to come out a bit flat out of our bye, frankly. Second half we turned it around and it became a good game, but they flat-out outplayed us, looked like the better team for the most part. Frankly, seeing the Pats in person, especially our weakened defense, made me realize in more stark terms just how crazy it is that we came into this game 7 and 2. It's sort of a miracle.

Finally (really this time) it was great to see BB on the sidelines coaching up the defense. He did this all through the second half, and you can tell it is what he lives for. I kept waiting for the Talib or McCourtey interception to finish off the Panthers in the Panthers' last drive...to no avail. That drive home sucked. Gotta eat and get some sleep.....

Talib was on the sideline on the Panthers final drive...Arrington was playing corner and got massacred on that TD.

we are hurting in the secondary for sure.

thanx for the post, bro.

seeing the Pats in person, especially our weakened defense, made me realize in more stark terms just how crazy it is that we came into this game 7 and 2. It's sort of a miracle.

I felt the same way on my drive back from the Cincinnati game. Watching this team in person really gives you a whole new perspective on A)How incredible Brady is and B) How pathetic the Pats pass blocking has become.

On the plus side, our skill players are really coming into their own. KT made two huge plays and was open all game (if you can't see his talent then I don't know what to tell you), Gronk was well Gronk, Amendola did exactly what he is payed to do, and Vereen was dominant... Ridley is also great minus the fumbleitis (sigh).

But yea, our Oline is a major problem, and it's puzzling b/c we have a lot of talent there. What's become clear is that Mankiws contract will need to be restructured, b/c he is simply not performing at his old level.

Also, I hate to say it, but Brady simply doesn't deal well with inside pressure, its his achilles heel. This interior pressure that makes him get rid of the ball too quickly is the only reason we didn't score 40+ today, b/c our recievers were scorching their secondary.

Just got back from Charlotte: one of my less pleasant solo drives I have to admit. Some impressions (I have not read any threads or watched it on TV yet, so this is based on my watching the game in person 18th row, 15 yard line (awesome tic I got very cheap on craig'slist))...

First, Carolina fans were very classy, nobody was a jerk after the game: people actually patted me on the back (in a nice way) to say 'nice game.' Great people all around. Big Patriot fan turnout at the game, which was nice.

That stadium is *loud*. Much louder than I have experienced my one time at Gillette. It is built to encourage noise, even the seats are built so you can slam the seat against the back and make a very loud noise (which they encourage every third down).

Cam Newton is a beast. I knew this already, but by reading some of the commentators here the past week you'd think he was just an average QB. I hope nobody here makes that mistake again.

That PI call on McCourtey was complete freaking BS.He was going for the ball, it should have been offensive PI.

Talib did not seem healthy, seemed to be playing very soft and loose rather than tight, nowhere near the shut-down corner we saw before his re-injury. That was depressing. Gronk did not seem healthy, he was hobbling on the sidelines a lot, sitting out a lot of plays at the beginning it seemed; though his TD was awesome I got it on my cell phone with video I will post when I figure out how.

Our OLine play didn't protect Brady enough, as I had predicted based on our previous troubles with good 4-3 defenses. Brady rarely had much time to throw, he was just always in trouble.

Why did we try to pass it on 3rd and 1 when we were on their 8 and running the ball very effectively? That seemed a stupid play call. Our run game was really humming along.

Our defense could not stop them when we needed to, reminiscent of our last two super bowl losses. Pretty much the exact same situation.

This may sound simplisitc, but I actually put a lot on the Ridley fumble. And that Mankins penalty. Both huge momentum changers.

Carolina is simply the real deal. They are a really good team and deserve mad props. From where they were last year, to this year, it is impressive. NC is going crazy, this was like a playoff game for them. we seemed to come out a bit flat out of our bye, frankly. Second half we turned it around and it became a good game, but they flat-out outplayed us, looked like the better team for the most part. Frankly, seeing the Pats in person, especially our weakened defense, made me realize in more stark terms just how crazy it is that we came into this game 7 and 2. It's sort of a miracle.

Finally (really this time) it was great to see BB on the sidelines coaching up the defense. He did this all through the second half, and you can tell it is what he lives for. I kept waiting for the Talib or McCourtey interception to finish off the Panthers in the Panthers' last drive...to no avail. That drive home sucked. Gotta eat and get some sleep.....

The Panther fans in my section must have had a 10 beer minimum to get in. Prolly a dozen real asshats around me, only saw 2 fights. I thought the Pats did enough to win the game, obviously the Ridley fumble, kicking a fg on their last drive instead of a TD, the ridiculous call on McCourty and the non call on Gronk did us in .

Newton's athleticism was the difference this game. Game was evenly matched all the way til the end. Moving forward, if we can just be healthy, I like our chances. That was one of the best defenses in the league, and one that's typically given us problems. And we had them pinned all game.

Props to Carolina, they have a great team down their. Wouldn't surprise me if we see them again in February.

Thanks for the report. Didn't Arrington get torched on an almost identical play that cost us the SF game last year after that great comeback?

Where did you drive back to ? Meaning where do you live ?

Where did you drive back to ? Meaning where do you live ?

Durham, NC. Got home around 230...went to bed around 4. Luckily my 3 year old daughter woke me up at 615 am....:sleeping::sleeping:

I felt the same way on my drive back from the Cincinnati game. Watching this team in person really gives you a whole new perspective on A)How incredible Brady is and B) How pathetic the Pats pass blocking has become.

The pass-blocking has indeed become Pat-hetic. Solder is missing at least one assingment
every game, Mankin$ is an over-paid meat-head, Connolly & especially Wendy are simply
not championship-level starters, and Cannon gets away with a cheap-shot leg-whip.
The middle of this OL needs a complete, immediate overhaul.

and with all these problems, Pats still looking good for a playoff spot.

Every year it seems injuries bring the team down to parity with the other elite teams.

The pass-blocking has indeed become Pat-hetic. Solder is missing at least one assingment
every game, Mankin$ is an over-paid meat-head, Connolly & especially Wendy are simply
not championship-level starters, and Cannon gets away with a cheap-shot leg-whip.
The middle of this OL needs a complete, immediate overhaul.

I don't have films of the oline, but i notice Solder having thr outside rusher go completely free numerous times because he picks up the inside man. This is what he is supposed to do when two free men rush.

The question is, why isn't someone inside picking up the inside rusher? Whether it's Mankins or further along, this is obvious this year it seems.
Any film or Oline gurus want to address this?

I think the oline play is being overblown. Occasionally there have been a few free rushers and there really isnt an excuse for this and they really need to clean up these mental mistakes. But for the most part I feel Brady has been protected pretty well and at least earlier in the year you could put some of the added pressure on the QB and receivers for not being on the same page and leaving Brady holding it a little longer. Some of that has gotten better and it should lead to less pressure and I think we have seen that some the last few weeks with longer sustained drives and just better overall offensive play. But again the occasional mental mistakes need to stop as there is no excuse for the free rusher.

I think the oline play is being overblown. Occasionally there have been a few free rushers and there really isnt an excuse for this and they really need to clean up these mental mistakes. But for the most part I feel Brady has been protected pretty well and at least earlier in the year you could put some of the added pressure on the QB and receivers for not being on the same page and leaving Brady holding it a little longer. Some of that has gotten better and it should lead to less pressure and I think we have seen that some the last few weeks with longer sustained drives and just better overall offensive play. But again the occasional mental mistakes need to stop as there is no excuse for the free rusher.

My impression was that he was not protected well on Monday, but he was getting the ball off incredibly fast. There were very few plays where he had the luxury to go through his progression. He was typically zipping off throws really quickly (and the running game was working, which took some pressure off).

I think they may have found a good antidote to the 4-3 (which has always given Brady trouble). Namely. throw the ball within 2 seconds, and run the ball a lot.

My impression was that he was not protected well on Monday, but he was getting the ball off incredibly fast. There were very few plays where he had the luxury to go through his progression. He was typically zipping off throws really quickly (and the running game was working, which took some pressure off).

I think they may have found a good antidote to the 4-3 (which has always given Brady trouble). Namely. throw the ball within 2 seconds, and run the ball a lot.

Which is exactly how Denver beat KC's rush.

As for the DBs...I'm going to Gillette Sunday night and I think we'll need 40 to have a chance.

thks for the report, great !

from tv too the stadium was very very loud

i saw some Pats Fans with blue a red jerseys - a couple of times they showed a girl dressed all red throwback (great !!!)

529 6th row. Endzone I like your seat better.

I probably could have high-fived you I was so close. 528 in the very first row next to the railing. It was an awesome game despite the outcome. The Panthers fans were incredibly respectful and kind. My season ticket holding friend who brought us said it was the loudest he had ever heard that stadium, including the Panthers playoff run back when. It was the first regular season Patriots game I'd ever been to and what a game it was. Here's to a better outcome eight years from now :bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST