PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nope, Tim Tebow can't play in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said. There are so many people that seem hellbent on Tebow failing, because he does things in such an unorthodox way. There are obvious critics, and rightfully so, but there are also a majority of people that really want him to fail. At times even his own coach, I think!

No one honestly thinks he's a great, or a good QB even. The game isn't meant to be played just for stat stuffing players like Tony Romo. In this modern age we're too caught up in fantasy football. If you win the game, who cares how it happens, or what the QB did.

I have my doubts as well that the Broncos can keep this up, but no one can tell me Tebow hasn't had anything to do with their success right now. It isn't pretty, but he gets it done.

He just has something in him that lifts a team above the water. He's the kind of guy you definitely go out there and play your tail off for. The team responds very well to him. Going from 1-4, to 4-1 is a dramatic turnaround! He has all the intangibles you could ever want in a player, and then some.

I love how he's winning and having success in spite of everything we think a QB needs to be. I hope he keeps it up. It's a nice story.

Esto......

Good call on bringing up Flutie, I see a lot of similarities, this biggest one that someone can be a successful by doing things in a different way than ‘they should be done’. When someone goes off the script, and is successful, it really bothers a lot of people.

Flutie was a fine passer. he was also a great runner, but ran because he was about 5'9".

If Flutie had Tebow's size he would be in the Hall of Fame.

He is, though. The facts are the facts, your statements to the contrary notwithstanding.

BTW, for all your posting about how he's the worst QB you've ever witnessed, his QB rating would actually have him at #22 if he qualified right now.

22nd is pretty bad, isn't it? I mean, that would put him somewhere in the high 80s, correct?

Facts are facts: in a very short time frame, he has played poorly at QB, but he has helped lead his team to very good performance. He looks absolutely horrible throwing the ball, but runs the ball great.

If you want to label all his detractors bigots, that seems pretty silly, given that there are legitimate reasons to question both his performance to date and the likelihood of the team sustaining its performance with him at the helm... and given that most people in this country are, in fact, Christian... and given that there are plenty of other players who regularly make religious signs or pray on the field.

Flutie was a fine passer. he was also a great runner, but ran because he was about 5'9".

If Flutie had Tebow's size he would be in the Hall of Fame.

I don’t think Tebow is a fine passer at the moment but I think he is showing that he’s an excellent football player. Before last night’s game the NFL showed a comparison of Tebow and Elway’s stats during t their first 9 games and Tebow was actually way ahead, good food for thought to people who want to write him off.

Everyone knew going in that Tebow was beyond raw, and halfway through his first season his QB coach/OC/HC was fired, so his development was held back, he also lost out on the off-season due to the lockout, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that many off his QB skillsets are underdeveloped.

Elway intends to work with him this off-season, which should help out, and if Tebow has the intelligence and humility to seek the guidance of the QB whisperer I think we’ll be having very different conversations about him in a year.

Important to note Tebow only has one interception this season.

He's not turning the ball over, and that's a major plus. The kid is smart, and understands the game of football.

It's too bad he doesn't have the natural skill set, otherwise he'd be off the charts. But I guess that itself would sorta defeat the purpose, and take away from doing all this in spite of that.

To me, intangibles are the most important thing in a QB. Yes, you want a QB to be a fine pocket passer, and be able to make all the throws. Those are all nice things to have as well. I want intangibles more than anything. Guys like Rodgers and Brady have them. That's what separates them from the rest of the pack.

There are a lot of very gifted throwers in this league like Rivers, and Romo who don't have them. Guys I'd honestly NOT want on my football team.

So Tebow at least has the most important thing you need in a QB going for him. I don't know if he can play on it alone, but it's sure fun to watch right now.

I actually studied the game last night and I haven't studied a game in a while. I was fascinated to see how the option would be applied to the professional level and I had quite a few takeaways from the game and specifically Tebow.

1) John Fox is coaching his ass off. The reads were simple, the routes designed to mask Tebow's limitations. They're not running the spread option. They're running a mix of the zone read option, the midline option, the veer, and the speed option. They're running it out of different sets and confusing the pitch delegation pre-snap. They're setting both the run and the pass to set eachother up.

2)Tim Tebow is a horrible NFL quarterback. He was missing easy quick reads left and right, he nearly ended the 95 yard drive on that floater to the flat, he has no zip on his ball. He cost his team significant YAC opportunities by putting the ball in the wrong spots. Plays that were there right away were missed because Tebow can't make a two player read and wanted to run.

3) Tim Tebow is a great runningback who is forced to throw the ball because of the number he wears. He has great vision, makes all the option reads, accelerates well, and runs the zone read option SO well.

4) Enjoy the Tim Tebow Experience while it lasts because it won't be long, and three weeks from now a certain coach is going to prove why the option without the threat of 15 balls for 150 yards will never work in the NFL.

5) He's a great football player but one playing out of position. Should he play for a team where he won't have to be a QB, with an already established elite QB and good coaching staff (ahem) he could be a very nice player. A quarterback that will singlehandedly win you games he is very clearly not.

Since you watched the game again, a couple questions for you (I didn't bother recording it).

Do you have any idea if there was a blown assignment on the TD run or if that was the intended defense? Because it seemed like a horrible defensive call given Tebow's strengths and weaknesses -- seemed like about the worse thing you could do, in fact.

Also, is part of the criticism of Tebow's mechanics that he opens up his off shoulder? That's one thing that looked off to me -- which would sap his passes of both velocity and accuracy.

Last edited:
22nd is pretty bad, isn't it? I mean, that would put him somewhere in the high 80s, correct?

22nd can be bad, or good, depending upon circumstances. Frankly, I'm surprised Tebow's as high as #22.

Facts are facts: in a very short time frame, he has played poorly at QB, but he has helped lead his team to very good performance. He looks absolutely horrible throwing the ball, but runs the ball great.

Well, you're stating your opinion as fact, but I agree with the general premise that Tebow's struggling with throwing the ball while succeeding overall.

If you want to label all his detractors bigots, that seems pretty silly, given that there are legitimate reasons to question both his performance to date and the likelihood of the team sustaining its performance with him at the helm... and given that most people in this country are, in fact, Christian... and given that there are plenty of other players who regularly make religious signs or pray on the field.

I'm not labeling all his detractors bigots. I'm labeling some of his detractors bigots, and bigotry can encompass more than race or religion.

Last edited:
Also, is part of the criticism of Tebow's mechanics that he opens up his off shoulder? That's one thing that looked off to me -- which would sap his passes of both velocity and accuracy.

Why would opening the shoulder, which would increase the amount of strech and therefore potential kinetic energy, decrease his velocity?

His rating is 78.4 and he's completing 44.8% of this throws.

His 7 to 1 TD to INT ratio is probably only so decent because some of his throws are so terrible no player on the field has a chance of getting the ball. I'd rather have Wes Welker play Qb.

Important to note Tebow only has one interception this season.

He's not turning the ball over, and that's a major plus. The kid is smart, and understands the game of football.

It's too bad he doesn't have the natural skill set, otherwise he'd be off the charts. But I guess that itself would sorta defeat the purpose, and take away from doing all this in spite of that.

To me, intangibles are the most important thing in a QB. Yes, you want a QB to be a fine pocket passer, and be able to make all the throws. Those are all nice things to have as well. I want intangibles more than anything. Guys like Rodgers and Brady have them. That's what separates them from the rest of the pack.

There are a lot of very gifted throwers in this league like Rivers, and Romo who don't have them. Guys I'd honestly NOT want on my football team.

So Tebow at least has the most important thing you need in a QB going for him. I don't know if he can play on it alone, but it's sure fun to watch right now.

Part of the reason Tebow has only one INT is because he throws to places that no one including his own receivers can catch. I couldn't believe how many open receivers he threw at their feet last night. I admit I haven't seen all their games, but Tebow does a good job not throwing passes that are interceptable. But he also does a good job throwing balls that are not catchable too.

Last edited:
22nd can be bad, or good, depending upon circumstances. Frankly, I'm surprised Tebow's as high as #22.....

I'm not sure how 22nd out of 30 something could be good, especially if it's QB rating and the rating is in the 70s -- better than expected isn't good.

...Well, you're stating your opinion as fact, but I agree with the general premise that Tebow's struggling with throwing the ball while succeeding overall.

I was basing what I wrote on QB rating -- which, while not perfect, is objective -- and W/L.

...I'm not labeling all his detractors bigots. I'm labeling some of his detractors bigots, and bigotry can encompass more than race or religion.

OK -- I haven't read all your posts here but saw multiple ones referring to bigotry and prejudice, which led me to that conclusion.

What other bigotry are you referring to, then? Unorthodox QBs? (not being a wiseass, I'm really not sure what you're saying)

Last edited:
It's allways a treat to watch Deuce Awry go Dien Bien Phu on the whole Board!! :rofl: :rocker:

The Tebow Hatred here is ASTONISHING. :eek:

1 ~ This is NEW ENGLAND, where we enjoyed Doug Flutie's startling success during DARK days.

2 ~ This is NEW ENGLAND, where we watched a team of NOBODIES ~ the 2001 Patriots ~ come from NOWHERE...to win it ALL!! :eek:

3 ~ This is NEW ENGLAND, where a small band of Raging Patriots stood up to the greatest Empire in the world ~ 236 years ago ~ and WON!! :eek:

4 ~ This is NEW ENGLAND, where the New York FootBall Jets are the ENEMY!!

Who CARES if his success is sustainable??? :eek:

Lighten UP, Beaches!! :D

Good call on bringing up Flutie, I see a lot of similarities, this biggest one that someone can be a successful by doing things in a different way than ‘they should be done’. When someone goes off the script, and is successful, it really bothers a lot of people.

Well said. There are so many people that seem hellbent on Tebow failing, because he does things in such an unorthodox way. There are obvious critics, and rightfully so, but there are also a majority of people that really want him to fail. At times even his own coach, I think!

No one honestly thinks he's a great, or a good QB even. The game isn't meant to be played just for stat stuffing players like Tony Romo. In this modern age we're too caught up in fantasy football. If you win the game, who cares how it happens, or what the QB did.

I have my doubts as well that the Broncos can keep this up, but no one can tell me Tebow hasn't had anything to do with their success right now. It isn't pretty, but he gets it done.

He just has something in him that lifts a team above the water. He's the kind of guy you definitely go out there and play your tail off for. The team responds very well to him. Going from 1-4, to 4-1 is a dramatic turnaround! He has all the intangibles you could ever want in a player, and then some.

I love how he's winning and having success in spite of everything we think a QB needs to be. I hope he keeps it up. It's a nice story.

AMEN, Brothers!! :rocker:

Who GIVES a rat's petunia if his success is sustainable?? It's AWESOME!! :rocker:

Why would opening the shoulder, which would increase the amount of strech and therefore potential kinetic energy, decrease his velocity?

I don't study biomechanics :)

My assumption is that it's directing energy in the wrong direction, or something along those lines.

Part of the reason Tebow has only INT is because he throws to places that no one including his own receivers. I couldn't believe how many open receivers he threw at their feet last night. I admit I haven't seen all their games, but Tebow does a good job not throwing passes that are interceptable. But he also does a good job throwing balls that are not catchable too.

Take out the DET game and in their 4 wins their D is allowing 15ppg. Only have a couple of turnovers as well.

The team is rallying around him and their D is keeping them in the game.

His rating is 78.4 and he's completing 44.8% of this throws.

His 7 to 1 TD to INT ratio is probably only so decent because some of his throws are so terrible no player on the field has a chance of getting the ball. I'd rather have Wes Welker play Qb.

From what I've seen, I agree -- but he's still not throwing the INTs, to his credit.

I'm not sure how 22nd out of 30 something could be good, especially if it's QB rating and the rating is in the 70s -- better than expected isn't good.

I was basing what I wrote on QB rating -- which, while not perfect, is objective -- and W/L.

OK -- I haven't read all your posts here but saw multiple ones referring to bigotry and prejudice, which led me to that conclusion.

What other bigotry are you referring to, then? Unorthodox QBs? (not being a wiseass, I'm really not sure what you're saying)

Actually, his qb rating is much higher than it should be because the tiny amount of passes he completes throws off percentages.

For instance he completed 2 of 8 passes one game and got a qb rating over 100, because his touchdown to completion ratio was high. lol. ratio = tds/2

It's not about occasionally being off throwing the ball or performing badly at times. Tebow has literally been off and looked awful at quarterback pretty much the entire time he's been in the NFL.

If there's ever been an analogous player who went on to anything other than mediocrity, I'd love to hear about it.

How many Tebow's were there?

He may fail, he may succeed. I don't know or really care but I don't get the need to totally rip the kid.

Look how long this thread is.

Besides, he doesn't need to be Brady or Manning.

Before last night’s game the NFL showed a comparison of Tebow and Elway’s stats during t their first 9 games and Tebow was actually way ahead, good food for thought to people who want to write him off.

Elway started off just awful, something to keep in mind when people expect a QB to be the finished product in his 7th start.

Elway had games as a rookie where his passer ratings were: 37, 11, 44, 26, 12 and his completion percentage for the year was well under 50% with 7 TDs and 14 INTs.

I'm sure they were all thrilled going into the offseason, after in the season finale he was 13-for-34 with 4 INTs.

John Elway Career Game Log - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick