PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nope, Tim Tebow can't play in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
In another thread (the awesome Brady video thread), there's a link to the Brady video where Ray Lewis and Darrelle Revis introduce Brady as the #1 player in the NFL (#1 - Tom Brady - The Top 100 Players of 2011 - YouTube). The opening minute or so is so interesting, as it pertains to the Tebow discussion. Here is what they say makes Tom Brady so great...........

Amazing video, I don't know how I've never seen it.:eek:

To be honest I am surprised that Rex wasn't able to stop him....you would think if you play him like a slow michael vick and take3 away the run...especially outside, and FORCE him to throw the ball...he is easily beatable.....he can't throw! Let's see what BB does with him in a few weeks!

To be fair, he did stop him for like 95% of the game, except for a drive that shouldn't have mattered had his QB not thrown a pick 6.

From the 2nd qtr to the final drive, Tebow had 8 drives. 7 of them were 3 and out, the other was 6 and out. Denver picked up a total of 55 yards in that span (34 came on the 6 and out).

Tebow has one great drive against an overconfident but also tired defense and wins a game that shouldn't have been winnable if the Jets played mistake free, then suddenly he's the second coming of Elway based on some comments I've seen from Broncos fans lol

I'm not sure if lulling the defense to sleep then having one good final drive is a tactic Elway used often, but hey, Broncos fans can keep thinking that. If it helps them sleep at night.

I'm torn with Tebow. He sucks but has a good attitude. He's a winner and I think that's why I'm gonna end up saying that I like him. If he was our quarterback though, different story. I don't think I'd be able to handle the stress of a whole game with him lol.

There's a HUGE difference between running a crisp route, making adjustments based upon coverage reads, getting open, and catching passes thrown in hard-to-catch areas in order to prevent interceptions; and handling a shotgun snap. Skills for the latter don't translate to the formers. That's without mentioning blocking duties.

He hasn't proven that he's willing or able to have receiving duties and he probably wouldn't excel as a running back. His only realistic option is as a QB. His completion pct last year was roughly 50%. His completion pct this year is roughly 44%. His teams wins DESPITE him, not because of him.

Hines Ward passed for over 400 yards in the Peach bowl. Randall El passed for over 7,000 yards in college at Indiana. Gene Washington, Marlin Briscoe, hell Julian Edelman went from never catching a ball to replacing Welker and getting 8 receptions in his first start, 37 for the year.

Quarterbacks often run better routes than some receivers and have a better rapport with other qbs. Of course, where talking about QBs who have been succsful in passing games before.

QBs wouldn't be better at reading coverages? lol

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm sure there's plenty of QBs with heart and desire out there who've been out of the league in a few years. Heart and desire ain't enough to be a QB.

Hines Ward passed for over 400 yards in the Peach bowl. Randall El passed for over 7,000 yards in college at Indiana. Gene Washington, Marlin Briscoe, hell Julian Edelman went from never catching a ball to replacing Welker and getting 8 receptions in his first start, 37 for the year.

Quarterbacks often run better routes than some receivers and have a better rapport with other qbs. Of course, where talking about QBs who have been succsful in passing games before.

QBs wouldn't be better at reading coverages? lol

That's not what I said, buddy. The guy I quoted argued that handling shotgun snaps translates to receiving skills, so we should assume that Tebow can play TE. All I was saying is that it ain't an easy conversion. And no, QBs don't often run better routes than some receivers. CONVERTED QB's - maybe. But for each of the guys you mentioned, there are probably at least ten that failed to make the changeover.

And yes, reading coverages and making adjustments as a WR is different than doing the same as a QB. The recognition ability translates, but the responses are entirely different and probably the most difficult aspect of the QB-WR conversion process.

This Tebow stuff is good for the NFL ... every year there needs to be a story like this. However, his arm is horrible - deplorable - I'm thinking if you count all QB's in the NFL inclusing backups maybe only Curtis painter throws worse than Tebow.

That being said ... put a spy Lb on him and he is negated. Rex was so confident of his team he forgot to put the spy. If the mike spies him he is way less dangerous IMO. He's a very good running QB but he is not elusive enough to even be considered elite in that area. Better than Brady nowhere near Mike Vick.

This Tebow stuff is good for the NFL ... every year there needs to be a story like this. However, his arm is horrible - deplorable - I'm thinking if you count all QB's in the NFL inclusing backups maybe only Curtis painter throws worse than Tebow.

That being said ... put a spy Lb on him and he is negated. Rex was so confident of his team he forgot to put the spy. If the mike spies him he is way less dangerous IMO. He's a very good running QB but he is not elusive enough to even be considered elite in that area. Better than Brady nowhere near Mike Vick.

The issue with a spying LB is that is happening (along with a general 'daring' Denver to pass - taking away the run). Any coaching staff that wasn't doing that should be smacked in their collective heads (Rex just forgot??). TT's shaky passing ability, at best, was well known before he came into the game several weeks back. Stacking the box and spying is being done.

"better than Brady but nowhere near Vick" is not giving TT his due credit. I'm now sure how you define 'elusive' or even how that is germane.....but his ability to run the ball for scores is well documented by the high level of running success throughout his career. What more is he supposed to do in the running area, back flips over defenders for him to attain credit that is above "better" than Tom Brady's feet of cement?

TT is not the first QB who had the ability to score using his feet while his ability to operate an NFL passing offense was in doubt. In the NFL, a QB simply cannot rely on rushing over the long term without the eventual 'missed practice due to ______ injury' happening too often (never mind opposing defenses will eventually find a way to shut your running game down too often). I'm rooting for TT because he appears to be a solid guy, the underdog and he is finding some crazy ways to win. But if he doesn't raise his passing game, his fate is sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back