PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nope, Tim Tebow can't play in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past 2 seasons, the Broncos are 9-17. With Tebow as the team's starter, the Broncos are 5-3. Without Tebow as the team's starter, they are 4-14.

You can belittle him all you want. The facts are there. The kid's winning

lmfao

Now apply that logic to Belichik.

I actually studied the game last night and I haven't studied a game in a while. I was fascinated to see how the option would be applied to the professional level and I had quite a few takeaways from the game and specifically Tebow.

1) John Fox is coaching his ass off. The reads were simple, the routes designed to mask Tebow's limitations. They're not running the spread option. They're running a mix of the zone read option, the midline option, the veer, and the speed option. They're running it out of different sets and confusing the pitch delegation pre-snap. They're setting both the run and the pass to set eachother up.

2)Tim Tebow is a horrible NFL quarterback. He was missing easy quick reads left and right, he nearly ended the 95 yard drive on that floater to the flat, he has no zip on his ball. He cost his team significant YAC opportunities by putting the ball in the wrong spots. Plays that were there right away were missed because Tebow can't make a two player read and wanted to run.

3) Tim Tebow is a great runningback who is forced to throw the ball because of the number he wears. He has great vision, makes all the option reads, accelerates well, and runs the zone read option SO well.

4) Enjoy the Tim Tebow Experience while it lasts because it won't be long, and three weeks from now a certain coach is going to prove why the option without the threat of 15 balls for 150 yards will never work in the NFL.

5) He's a great football player but one playing out of position. Should he play for a team where he won't have to be a QB, with an already established elite QB and good coaching staff (ahem) he could be a very nice player. A quarterback that will singlehandedly win you games he is very clearly not.

Fox didn't let Tebow play to Tebow's strengths until the last drive in the game. How is that coaching his ass off?

Saint Timmy, the supposed virgin w/ a smoking GF won't stand a chance vs. TFB. I swear the virgin thing is a LIE... GW Bush "I smoked marijuana but I never inhaled"

Unintended humor, always the best!

If Tebow is so bad, is it possible that the only reason he's winning is divine intervention? ;)

After pulling off an epic 95YD game winning drive to beat the rats and put smiles ear to ear on pats nation we thank em with a "nope, tebow can't play in the nfl" thread? ouch

a "Thanks Tebow and the Broncos" thread would've been nice, still a fun thread sparking the larger debate.

Greetings,
I do not think the people who are giving Tebow props are saying he is the second coming of Brady, or even a Pro Bowler. They are just simply stating the fact that he is 4-1 as a starter in the NFL, which is pretty great in itself. The Broncos have finally found a recipe to win games and it works for them. Have the defense play great, a strong running game, and Tebow make plays with his legs. Tebow is simply part of their recipe. Also he has stepped it up in the clutch and played his best football in the clutch.

To me this is one of those things where you have to ride the hot hand until it is simply no longer hot. I have watched him play and his throwing mechanics are just annoying to watch, almost to the point it upsets me. But he has been winning football games and they are a half game out in their division. Yes, it is the AFC worst, but they still have a shot at the playoffs.
Celticboy04

DI, ignore whatever I said and just refer to Jays52. I think he summed it up.

1 ~ This is NEW ENGLAND, where we enjoyed Doug Flutie's startling success during DARK days.

Good call on bringing up Flutie, I see a lot of similarities, this biggest one that someone can be a successful by doing things in a different way than ‘they should be done’. When someone goes off the script, and is successful, it really bothers a lot of people.

Fox didn't let Tebow play to Tebow's strengths until the last drive in the game. How is that coaching his ass off?

Hahaha it's week 11 and we're talking coaching vs execution. Seems about right, don't it? :)

I think Fox is coaching his ass off because that offense is doing a lot with very little. He's extremely limited in what he's able to do because he doesn't have a quarterback. In a very simplified, not technically sound analogy Fox is coaching and winning games solely from the wildcat. He's been able to apply a lot of college and highschool concepts to the pro game. That in and of itself is very impressive.

The other thing is that he absolutely is putting Tebow is the best spots. He's got very simple route progressions and very tight read windows. He's either got one route reads or a two defender read. That's a stare down, hit your plant foot and release read. While Tebow struggles mightily with even these very simple concepts. Yes, he could try to run Urban Meyer stuff but that would never work in the NFL. So Fox is forced to do something and even in that very limited level his quarterback simply can't make those easy plays that were there all night, timely called, and well drawnup.

Even in that final drive, Tebow nearly ended it several times through fatal flaws. That final run was an example of Fox's great coaching. That play happened, at least in terms of x's and o's, because Fox outcoached Rex. In the earlier sequences, Rex began beating the zone read by stunting the backside end. Why? Because it screws up the read and forces a poor decision. Fox countered that by switching to the midline option which defeats that defensive adjustment. After gaining yards off of the midline, in a situation that was an option one, Fox anticipated the a-gap overload call Rex made to counter the midline. He called a speed option that was wide open and after a few decisions not to tackle resulted in the game winner. That's good coaching without much ambiguity.

Belichick's the best coach in the NFL.

So you won't question or criticize him on this board ever again. If you do it must be because you're an idiot or a bigot.

What do you have against Croatian-American hoodie wearing, socially awkwared, genius head coaches?

I for one won't stand for that type of bigotry on this board.

Greetings,
I do not think the people who are giving Tebow props are saying he is the second coming of Brady, or even a Pro Bowler. They are just simply stating the fact that he is 4-1 as a starter in the NFL, which is pretty great in itself. The Broncos have finally found a recipe to win games and it works for them. Have the defense play great, a strong running game, and Tebow make plays with his legs. Tebow is simply part of their recipe. Also he has stepped it up in the clutch and played his best football in the clutch.

To me this is one of those things where you have to ride the hot hand until it is simply no longer hot. I have watched him play and his throwing mechanics are just annoying to watch, almost to the point it upsets me. But he has been winning football games and they are a half game out in their division. Yes, it is the AFC worst, but they still have a shot at the playoffs.
Celticboy04

4-1, 3 of those were 4th qtr comebacks, that's impressive regardless of his stats. To top it off the last comeback was to finish of the rats, I'm over F@#$%ing joyed.

probably take a week for my Tebow blinders to ware off.

So you won't question or criticize him on this board ever again. If you do it must be because you're an idiot or a bigot.

What do you have against Croatian-American hoodie wearing, socially awkwared, genius head coaches?

I for one won't stand for that type of bigotry on this board.

Since you seem incapable of understanding the difference between legitimate criticism and "Worst QB ever!/Never win a game!", etc..., I'll just assume your posts are all equally useless from now on and ignore them.

I am 100% sold on the Tim Tebow experiment.

At least for now....

Seriously, I love it! I do not think he's capable of playing QB at a high level, and despite of all his short comings as a player, he gets in done anyways.

The guy is a true winner in life. I love how the media almost has set him up to fail, and regardless, he just goes out there and wins.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Tebow than Tony Romo! He's not 1/10th the pocket passer Romo is. Tebow has all the intangibles and ingredients of winning that guys like Romo and Rivers will never have.

Rock on, Tebow! :rocker:

Since you seem incapable of understanding the difference between legitimate criticism and "Worst QB ever!/Never win a game!", etc...,

I'll just assume your posts are all equally useless from now on and ignore them.

I actually admire Deuce Awry's nearly unilateral Dien Bien Phu approach to this...

But I have to wonder: Is ANYONE not on "Ignore" at this point?? :confused:

Hahaha it's week 11 and we're talking coaching vs execution. Seems about right, don't it? :)

I think Fox is coaching his ass off because that offense is doing a lot with very little. He's extremely limited in what he's able to do because he doesn't have a quarterback. In a very simplified, not technically sound analogy Fox is coaching and winning games solely from the wildcat. He's been able to apply a lot of college and highschool concepts to the pro game. That in and of itself is very impressive.

The other thing is that he absolutely is putting Tebow is the best spots. He's got very simple route progressions and very tight read windows. He's either got one route reads or a two defender read. That's a stare down, hit your plant foot and release read. While Tebow struggles mightily with even these very simple concepts. Yes, he could try to run Urban Meyer stuff but that would never work in the NFL. So Fox is forced to do something and even in that very limited level his quarterback simply can't make those easy plays that were there all night, timely called, and well drawnup.

Even in that final drive, Tebow nearly ended it several times through fatal flaws. That final run was an example of Fox's great coaching. That play happened, at least in terms of x's and o's, because Fox outcoached Rex. In the earlier sequences, Rex began beating the zone read by stunting the backside end. Why? Because it screws up the read and forces a poor decision. Fox countered that by switching to the midline option which defeats that defensive adjustment. After gaining yards off of the midline, in a situation that was an option one, Fox anticipated the a-gap overload call Rex made to counter the midline. He called a speed option that was wide open and after a few decisions not to tackle resulted in the game winner. That's good coaching without much ambiguity.

You and I seem to have watched completely different games. I actually couldn't believe how poor an offensive game (in terms of setting Tebow up to succeed) was being called by Denver for most of the game.

On the other hand, given the steaming pile of crap that the Jets were calling an offense, I didn't have too much to complain about, because I saw a Broncos team that was desperate to keep the game close and hope for a break, rather than a Broncos team that was really trying to win with the offense. I think that Fox and company are more afraid of Tebow than they are of the opposing teams, and I think they coach accordingly.

Last edited:
Good call on bringing up Flutie, I see a lot of similarities, this biggest one that someone can be a successful by doing things in a different way than ‘they should be done’. When someone goes off the script, and is successful, it really bothers a lot of people.

Well said. There are so many people that seem hellbent on Tebow failing, because he does things in such an unorthodox way. There are obvious critics, and rightfully so, but there are also a majority of people that really want him to fail. At times even his own coach, I think!

No one honestly thinks he's a great, or a good QB even. The game isn't meant to be played just for stat stuffing players like Tony Romo. In this modern age we're too caught up in fantasy football. If you win the game, who cares how it happens, or what the QB did.

I have my doubts as well that the Broncos can keep this up, but no one can tell me Tebow hasn't had anything to do with their success right now. It isn't pretty, but he gets it done.

He just has something in him that lifts a team above the water. He's the kind of guy you definitely go out there and play your tail off for. The team responds very well to him. Going from 1-4, to 4-1 is a dramatic turnaround! He has all the intangibles you could ever want in a player, and then some.

I love how he's winning and having success in spite of everything we think a QB needs to be. I hope he keeps it up. It's a nice story.

Last edited:
Since you seem incapable of understanding the difference between legitimate criticism and "Worst QB ever!/Never win a game!", etc..., I'll just assume your posts are all equally useless from now on and ignore them.

No, not that, anything but that! I'm not sure if I'll be able to go on. Won't you please reconsider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST