Welcome to PatsFans.com

No SB since Ty Law left - Gotta target CBs no?

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by GoWesleyan, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoWesleyan

GoWesleyan Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

After reading this article on the basics of the 3-4 defense (http://football.calsci.com/DefensiveLine3.html), it sunk in that the 3-4 is great against the run but can be a liability against a fast passing team... and it occured to me that we haven't won a SB since our best corner left after 2004.

Add to that that Asante's situation looks pretty iffy at the moment... Don't we absolutely HAVE TO have a CB as our #1 priority?

PS- I was very high on Daymeion Hughes because he seemed like such an intelligent player, and I couldn't figure out why the more knowledgeable posters didn't like him. I still like him, but his lack of speed really doesn't fit what a 3-4 corners responsibilities are, does it? Is there room for a guy like that in some of our packages?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  2. patriotspride

patriotspride Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

actually the patriots won the sb without ty law.he got hurt in Pittsburgh halloween night and never returned

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +798 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

There's a lot of players we haven't won a SB since not having. Our CB play vs. Indy wasn't the problem. Sure a CB would be a good idea if we can't sign Samuel long term but there's lots of other ways to improve the team too.

4. GoWesleyan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh yeah.... but would you agree that there is a premium on quality CBs in our scheme since the weakness on paper is pass defense?

5. MrTibbs

MrTibbs Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Injuries have taken the toll on the Patriots. If you ask me I think Rodney Harrison out of the lineup has been huge along with lack of LB depth.

6. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

They won the superbowl without Ty Law against the Eagles. However, I really like CB Chris Houston and CB Darrelle Revis. If available, I feel the Pats should grab one of these guys regardless whether Samuel re-signs. Houston looks like he has the confidence to cover anybody and Revis can do a lot of things as well. I would also like to Pats to draft S Griffin or S Nelson. The Pats can focus on LB either by trading back into the 2nd round or sit tight for the third round a draft a LB. If the Pats can draft two guys in the secondary and get David Harris later in the draft, that would great.

7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +798 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Yep, I hate the Titans and Jeff Fisher forever for taking Rodney out and then being happy about it.

8. The 12th Man

The 12th Man On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Me too. I was watching that game in week 17 with my buddy who's a Titans fan and when Bobby Wade went low on Rodney, I told him that I would HATE Wade for the rest of my life if Rodney missed the playoffs. It was such a downer. Hopefully this year we rest key players in week 17 if the playoffs aren't on the line.

9. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +458 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

\

You nailed it.

10. sebman2112

sebman2112 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

To be completely honest I think NT, DE, OLB, ILB, and S are all more important in NE's defense. Obviously, if you can find a shutdown CB it's going to help, but those are few and far between.

11. rookBoston

rookBoston 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +71 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

No SB since Charlie and Romeo left.

12. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

We won the Iggles superbowl months after Ty Law played his last game for us.

However, we have not won a superbowl since Omare Lowe left, so your CB analysis might be valid after all :D

13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +798 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

And, yet, they were one 3rd and 5 from winning the SB. All this "no SB since X left" is silly. We were THISCLOSE last year - sometimes you don't get the break you need.

14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +841 / 27 / -33

Sometimes we forget about how good last years team was, and with all the upgrades this year we will only be better. The stability in the coaching ranks is also beneficial. Please make the draft come quick, so if all of these what if's can end.

15. captain stone

captain stone Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +384 / 69 / -51

No Jersey Selected

If a CB/FS has not been chosen by 91, and if he's available, then I would strongly consider Hughes there.

P.S.: espn.com shows Hughes' 40-time as 4.65; SI.com shows it as 4.56; PFW's is 4.63; NFLDraftScout, on FoxSports.com, has 4.65. Shall I then ass-u-me that Hughes runs closer to 4.65 than to 4.56?

Edit: On UCal's pro day, Hughes ran a 4.56 and 4.58. Still not what you want, but at 91, maybe what you need.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts#CAL

16. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I've had CB as my #2 need for the Pats. The immediate need is at nickelback, but the Samuel situation may create a need for a player who can take the starting slot from Chad Scott or Randall Gay. Either Revis or Hall in the first would be a major acquisition, Wilson or Wade or Davis in lieu of either of the first rounders would be a decent pick-up.

17. GoWesleyan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes. It's really easy to get hung up on these workout numbers, but really what difference does .2 seconds make? That's a very small difference -over a 40 yds distance... So much of being good at sports is anticipation, the 4.56 guy is faster to the ball than the 4.36 guy when the 4.36 guy is facing the wrong direction or is slow to get out of his backpedal.

His short numbers, however, are the question mark.

18. captain stone

captain stone Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +384 / 69 / -51

No Jersey Selected

Now that I've re-examined the combine times and measurements for DBs,

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/10025995,

Hughes doesn't appear in his group's top 10 in any event.

91 is as early as I'd consider taking him, even if we somehow acquire a 2nd-rounder and/or an earlier 3rd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.