PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No action on Gay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure about anyone else, but I'm mildy surprised that the pats are not even talking to Gay's agent. We build so much redudancy into the WR position (Marty booker?) , I think we are woefully thin at Cornerback now if Gay gets picked up by mangina. Assuming Samuel is gone.... that leaves us with the following options at CB:

Hobbs
Chad Scott
Richardson
?????

I know I'm forgeting someone ... help me out here. Does this mean we are a lock to go after a blue chip corner in the first round? Are we seeking a trade with Oakland for asumagha? (sp) what the dillay?
The only cornerbacks under contract are Hobbs, Mixon, Richardson, and
Spann. Aside from Samuel, the other good cornerbacks have been
given the franchise tag. This is why the Giants are pursuing DeAngelo Hall.
It would not surprise me to see Hank Poteat on our roster again if the Jets
sign Gay or Samuel. I expect the Pats to rely heavily on the draft to
restock the team at the cornerback position.

As far as I know, even if they are working to get Gay signed, they can't show anything about it until feb 29th. They didn't put the franchise tag on Moss, so he's technically a free agent now as well. I hope we get some good news on the 29th and afterwards with several of "our" FA players signed to new multi-year contracts.

LOL . one of the moderators is either homosexual or just got out of sensitivity training , or both. they edited the original title of the post - "no pride in gay ?" , clearly not getting the good natured play on words. Lame. I guess this post will be removed as well. whatever :rolleyes:

I saw that ... no action on Gay sounds better ... mods keeping us honest.

I didn't think Gay had a very good year, it seemed like other teams would target him. Getting some Gay action is also a two way street, it takes a senator in a airport bathroom and another willing participant... ok, we are getting off track.

Gay likely wants to have other teams tell him how great he is. He was a UDFA and outside of a lone superbowl* he hasn't gottent a lot of pub.
*Against the Eagles where he was beaten for over 120 yards by a guy with a broken leg

I don't think he is starting material and can be easily replaced.

Another random point - there are a lot of pot shots against the secondary but they were pretty consistent all year and played very well in the playoffs. The defense as a whole averaged 17 PPG in the regular season and 17 PPG in the playoffs. They also had a stretch of 9 quarters without a TD.

Re: No Pride in Gay?

He was very tentative even before the injury and I THINK his timidness had something to do with getting injured because he placed his body in an awkward position on that play.

His injury was during the first series, wasn't it! Same play that Rodney was shaken up.

what kind of gay action were you hoping for?

what kind of gay action were you hoping for?

Some stimulating Gay action.

(Didn't someone say that on Project Runway last week? My wife's show, not mine. Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Last edited:
The kid's nick-name is Blue.

(Note: NOT Blue cat)

Gay played pretty good this year...but perhaps he doesn't fit the mold of where we are going. Could it be that we are going to go back to knocking the crap out of receivers? James Sanders is good at that ... rodney also. Merriweather was known as a hitter and Hobbs ... well whatever.

Perhaps belichick has his sights on Talib ... very physical corner nobody here will complain if we pick him.

Gay seemed to play really well in the beginning of the year and then, to the untrained eye and from TV feed, he seemed to get beaten badly, a lot. Overall I would say that he had a mediocre season (eyeball test, nothing more), and at nickelback. I wouldn't say he was anything worth keeping, nor would I say I think he is a viable option at starting CB. I think the lack of action from the Pats reiterates my observations.

When discussing what the Pats are going to do about CB this season, keep in mind last year they almost exclusively used three (Gay, Samuel, Hobbs). They need to get at least one talent capable of starting (through the draft or free agency) and someone who can replace Gay (I don't think that will be terribly difficult, but I would like to see an improvement). Maybe Richardson is capable of playing nickel, maybe he isn't. They could also use a sixth defensive back (S or CB) to replace Eugene (again, not terribly difficult).

I think addressing a beast of a pass rusher (to provide a good rotation with Colvin, Vrabel, and occasionally Thomas) will also help out the secondary, no matter who is back there. I hope Gholston is available at seven.

Gay seemed to play really well in the beginning of the year and then, to the untrained eye and from TV feed, he seemed to get beaten badly, a lot. Overall I would say that he had a mediocre season (eyeball test, nothing more), and at nickelback. I wouldn't say he was anything worth keeping, nor would I say I think he is a viable option at starting CB. I think the lack of action from the Pats reiterates my observations.

Actually, according to K.C. Joyner, this is not true. Gay had (IIRC) better numbers than either Samuel or Hobbs, according to the metrics he uses. Joyner seems to think that Gay is a starting-caliber CB.

Of course, he may not factor into the teams future plans because it seems like they're moving to a more aggressive style of defense, and that doesn't seem to comport with Gay's style.

Actually, according to K.C. Joyner, this is not true. Gay had (IIRC) better numbers than either Samuel or Hobbs, according to the metrics he uses. Joyner seems to think that Gay is a starting-caliber CB.

Of course, he may not factor into the teams future plans because it seems like they're moving to a more aggressive style of defense, and that doesn't seem to comport with Gay's style.

Does Joyner factor in the level of competition? Who Gay was lined up against, etc.? Maybe I just can't get the sight out of my mind of Gay getting absolutely shat on by the Eagles receivers this past season among other poor games (he also started the game against the Jags and we remember how that went for him). We'll wait and see what BB and Pioli do with Gay as I put way more stock in their judgment of abilities than I do in K.C. Joyner's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back