PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL's Latest Filing Against Brady Says Investigation Being Independent is 'Irrelevant'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think it is funny that they argue in court that it is irrelevant whether the Wells investigation was independent while desperately tries to convince the media and fans that it was independent.
They have to argue that. they are claiming in the brief that Wells and others' investigatory notes can't and shouldn't have been released because they were attorney work product. They couldn't be released if they were for a client, the NFL. If it was independent, they wouldn't claim attorney- client privilege to keep it sealed... They can't have it both ways.......

They have to argue that. they are claiming in the brief that Wells and others' investigatory notes can't and shouldn't have been released because they were attorney work product. They couldn't be released if they were for a client, the NFL. If it was independent, they wouldn't claim attorney- client privilege to keep it sealed... They can't have it both ways.......

They are also saying Goodell has the power to refuse the investigative notes and Pash's testimony under Article 46. The "Integrity" clause. It sounds like a joke.

Ok so am I the only one that thinks Everytime Goddell speaks he sounds like a stupid moron? Seriously, not just the I can't stand the guy , but I seriously cannot believe this is the man running a multi billion dollar organization.

The NFL is really going to convince CA2 to reverse and remand Berman's decision with arguments like "we don't have to conduct independent examinations" and "we don't have to follow fundamental principles of due process under the CBA"? :rolleyes:
Don't forget, "we don't even have to follow the CBA, the very document we rely upon," since that dictates a $25,000 team fine for an equipment violation.

Ok so am I the only one that thinks Everytime Goddell speaks he sounds like a stupid moron? Seriously, not just the I can't stand the guy , but I seriously cannot believe this is the man running a multi billion dollar organization.
Goodell Bot's speech algorithm is right up there with politicians, lawyers, salesmen, cult leaders-- really any kind of public speaking. There's an art to weaseling words to the public with just the right amount of conviction and generality, then restating them for emphasis.

It's a neat mental exercise to look at speeches and imagine what they'd be like if you could interject and clarify as if they were there with you. Better yet if you keep track and compare for glaring contradictions with their previous statements & actions. "Ignorance is no excuse" was like a movie quote when Goodell suspended Sean Payton for a year over the Bountygate nonsense. It would have sounded even better telling it to Goodell's face when he claimed to have never seen the elevator video of the Ray Rice abuse.

Goodell Bot's speech algorithm is right up there with politicians, lawyers, salesmen, cult leaders-- really any kind of public speaking. There's an art to weaseling words to the public with just the right amount of conviction and generality, then restating them for emphasis.

It's a neat mental exercise to look at speeches and imagine what they'd be like if you could interject and clarify as if they were there with you. Better yet if you keep track and compare for glaring contradictions with their previous statements & actions. "Ignorance is no excuse" was like a movie quote when Goodell suspended Sean Payton for a year over the Bountygate nonsense. It would have sounded even better telling it to Goodell's face when he claimed to have never seen the elevator video of the Ray Rice abuse.
It's an frustrating exercise when you deal with these people in real life. They're relentless in getting there way feeding on people's emotions and short memories.

Don't forget, "we don't even have to follow the CBA, the very document we rely upon," since that dictates a $25,000 team fine for an equipment violation.
Wasn't that essentially the point that mattered? Berman didn't rule on whether balls were intentionally deflated; he ruled on the punishment, in this case for a single player, and not the team fine for equipment violation.

If we wanna talk lack of integrity, what I found *most* egregious was Goodell changing the Reason for Brady's punishment *after the fact* and in response to the impending arguments by Brady's lawyers. Maybe I'm wrong, but the original punishment was due to (following the Wells Report) Brady being, more likely than not, aware.

Yet for the court appeal, when part Brady's lawyers' strategy was that players have no knowledge that "being aware" of wrongdoing is a punishable offense, what did Goodell do? Stopped saying Brady was likely aware, and started saying he Directly Participated.

1. Brady is punished for being likely aware
2. -- There's nothing informing players they can be punished for being aware.
3. Oh yeah? Well then, I say he Directly Participated. Take that!

Goodell keeps proving Berman right, and he's too dense to understand.

Their contention seems to be that the 'Conduct Detrimental' thing is a category made up of whatever the hell Goodell feels like, which is why that's what they used instead of the equipment violation thing.

Their contention seems to be that the 'Conduct Detrimental' thing is a category made up of whatever the hell Goodell feels like, which is why that's what they used instead of the equipment violation thing.

Yes

The only thing positive of all this is with all these stupid and baseless allegations by other teams against the Pats will only make rational people start to think that the Pats are just targets of jealous teams who cannot beat them on the field rather than cheaters.

Which is a pretty unpersuasive argument IMO. "Detrimental Conduct" is too vague to give a player any real notice. Not to mention, why have a equipment violation policy spelled out at all if everything can theoretically be covered by the "Detrimental Conduct" category?

Also, there's the inconsistent enforcement of equipment violations e.g. San Diego Chargers "stick 'em" incident, the Carolina Panthers heated balls incident, and the Jets monkeying with the Kicker's ball. The NFL brazenly asserting their consistency in enforcing these policies is pure chutzpah.

NFL is grasping at straws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick