PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL trade deadline looms…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside of something horrendous happening to Brady, Cassel wouldn't see the field. He'd be as visible as Mallett's status determines.

Of course, but you always have to be prepared at the backup situation, and I'm just not feeling the same level of confidence that you and others are with regards to Matt Cassel.

I just think the team and situation has changed too much. That said, it probably wouldn't be too hot with Mallett either, so maybe it wouldn't matter.

Now if we could get a higher round pick for Mallett, then it may make sense. I can't remember the specifics of Deus' suggestion and whether or not that was included.

Aside from a healthy Hoyer or Cassel returning in the offseason, I don't see any scenarios where we could unload Mallett though. Whoever else would come in would need at least a full year here in this system, so the odds are that he stays for the remainder of his pact (IMO).

My only thought is if he plans to retire after this season he would likely want a shot at a SB ring and given Atlanta is 1-4 in a very competitive NFC.

He's had a very good HOF career and made tons of money. I think you're right, I think he really wanted to come back and try to win a ring...but with the guys who were on the ATL Falcons.

He's come out and said that there's no way he'd want to uproot his family, school, living situation etc just to finish out the year somewhere else knowing that he's definitely going to retire after the next several months, so it'd likely be the call of the front office.

If they decided to lure him back only to trade him away for draft picks, that may really come off as tasteless etc. Just a thought though, you never know what a good offer may do.

It's a shame that Marvin Austin is such a total waste of space, b/c Miami just released him last week. If he were worth a damn, he'd be another capable body for the DL.

Then again, if "ifs and buts were candy and nuts" and all that...

I believe it was, thank you.

I like the idea of having an experienced backup in the system for sure. Actually, I think it's pretty much a necessity. My only concern would be Cassel, and if he'd be closer to the 2008 version or the current version?

Of course in a perfect world, it wouldn't matter as he'd never see the field--which is probably what Ausbacker was pointing out.

It's tough to try and judge since he's been playing with minimal talent surrounding him lately.

It's a shame that Marvin Austin is such a total waste of space, b/c Miami just released him last week. If he were worth a damn, he'd be another capable body for the DL.

If he were good then they wouldn't have released him.

I believe it was, thank you.

I like the idea of having an experienced backup in the system for sure. Actually, I think it's pretty much a necessity. My only concern would be Cassel, and if he'd be closer to the 2008 version or the current version?

Of course in a perfect world, it wouldn't matter as he'd never see the field--which is probably what Ausbacker was pointing out.

It's tough to try and judge since he's been playing with minimal talent surrounding him lately.
In a nutshell, that was it supa (with the notable change of player). Unfortunately nobody operates in a vacuum or a perfect world.

If he were good then they wouldn't have released him.

Yes, that was exactly my general point, so thank you for reiterating. The only reason I brought it up is due to the fact that many here, including myself were somewhat interested in him a month or so ago.

The fact remains that he just seems to have a bad work ethic, a bad attitude--or something that turns teams off. Obviously that isn't going to be a good fit here in NE.

He would be a great pickup but we'd owe a prorated portion of his $11 mil cap hit this season and his 2014 cap hit is around $13 mil.

When a team trades for a player, what matters are FUTURE obligations. This trade would never happen, but the Pats would only owe his prorated salary for this year (about 2/3 of $8M) plus his salary and other payments for 2014. They would not owe the signing bonus prorations (about $3M/yr).

Thanks for the links Miguel.

I'd file them all under unlikely. Teams doing the dumping all want a Day 1 or 2 pick. Teams doing the acquiring all want to give up a 7th round pick.

The players in question are all highly paid and in the final years of a deal (Jones-Drew/Nicks) or on franchise tag (Byrd).

I think that what the Pats gave up last year for Talib who was in a similar situation (last year of deal) was really high (4th rounder). It was worth it, especially because they were able to resign him for another year.

It's fun to speculate, but I don't anticipate much happening.

Schiano was named GM this week?

Fair point. But my point still stands. BB will often deal with members of other teams (and I include the draft) that he respects.

Unbelievable how come some of you think this offense is just fine.

Unbelievable how come some of you think this offense is just fine.

Are people saying that, or stating there are no brilliant personnel moves that can change the Pats' fortunes at this point? This offense is off right now, whether the cause is trust, ability to run prescribed routes, or simply lessons learned in NFL games. The rookies are better than they were, but far from where they will be with more time to develop. The only way this changes is playing time and reps, and most on this field are far behind where they should be at the start of the season.

Bringing in players that cannot run this offensive system adds another liability to a system that is already trying to adapt. Anyone who watches games, with bad throws, drops, 3rd down conversions and red zone issues, is not going to say the offense is "just fine." The question is will it find itself in time for a playoff run. This thread is about if adding personnel through a trade might help that. The probable answer, at this point, is no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back