PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL rumored to be considering 14 game season starting in October

Status
Not open for further replies.
The season should not be played...without a vaccine.

.But that’s not practical and that’s never going to happen. .”

Bolding an opinion does not make it reasonable. Costs will be less in a few months, and supplies will be much greater. But, even now, folks at the WH are tested every day.

Bolding an opinion does not make it reasonable. Costs will be less in a few months, and supplies will be much greater. But, even now, folks at the WH are tested every day.

Maybe you can contact Ian and have him remove the font options.

Did Fauci say it? Yes. You don't like it so it's not reasonable, but he knows a lot about it than YOU do.

Last edited:
Maybe you can contact Ian and have him remove the font options.

Did Fauci say it? Yes. You don't like it so it's not reasonable, but he knows a lot about it than YOU do.
???
You simply don't listen to Fauci. For a month Fauci has been clear. He has listed the necessary steps that sports teams will need to follow, including a separate hotel for away games that can include families, or not. And yes, daily testing before games would be required. And, of course, there should be no fans.

Faust don't oppose the NFL playing in the Fall. However, he has listed his health recommendations, which folks here thought were sarcastic.

???
You simply don't listen to Fauci. For a month Fauci has been clear. He has listed the necessary steps that sports teams will need to follow, including a separate hotel for away games that can include families, or not. And yes, daily testing before games would be required. And, of course, there should be no fans.

Faust don't oppose the NFL playing in the Fall. However, he has listed his health recommendations, which folks here thought were sarcastic.

Faust made a pact with the Devil, but if you want to know what Fauci just said to Peter King...here's the news for the 2020 season:

Toward the end of a 20-minute telephone interview Saturday evening with America’s COVID-19 expert, Dr. Anthony Fauci, I asked a question about testing, and about NFL teams playing football this fall.

“Suppose,” I asked, “you test a team of 53 players on a Saturday night and four are positive. Is there a level at which—”

Fauci, the director of the National Institutes for Health since 1984, interrupted. “You got a problem there,” he said. “You know why? Because it is likely that if four of them are positive and they’ve been hanging around together, that the other ones that are negative are really positive. So I mean, if you have one outlier [only one player testing positive], I think you might get away. But once you wind up having a situation where it looks like it’s spread within a team, you got a real problem. You gotta shut it down.

Shut it down. Quarantine the team, he means. For 14 days. The next two games for that team? Cancelled or postponed. That could be life in the NFL in 2020.

“Also,” I said, “I take it that teams have to be willing to say, If Patrick Mahomes tests positive on a Saturday night, he’s got to disappear for two weeks.

“Absolutely, absolutely,” Fauci said. “It would be malpractice in medicine to put him on the field, absolutely.”

FMIA: Football in the Fall? Dr. Fauci: 'The Virus Will Make Decision For Us' - Peter King, NBC Sports

???

Faucis death models were 10X-40x overstated. ..not sure why anyone would put much faith into what he says...

Faucis death models were 10X-40x overstated. ..not sure why anyone would put much faith into what he says...

His job is to look at worse case scenarios but I get what you're saying. That being said, kids may be getting a Kawasaki type syndrome and a vaccine has a slim-to-none chance of being ready for this season. I doubt they'll be able to play at all but we'll see.

Faust made a pact with the Devil, but if you want to know what Fauci just said to Peter King...here's the news for the 2020 season:

Toward the end of a 20-minute telephone interview Saturday evening with America’s COVID-19 expert, Dr. Anthony Fauci, I asked a question about testing, and about NFL teams playing football this fall.

“Suppose,” I asked, “you test a team of 53 players on a Saturday night and four are positive. Is there a level at which—”

Fauci, the director of the National Institutes for Health since 1984, interrupted. “You got a problem there,” he said. “You know why? Because it is likely that if four of them are positive and they’ve been hanging around together, that the other ones that are negative are really positive. So I mean, if you have one outlier [only one player testing positive], I think you might get away. But once you wind up having a situation where it looks like it’s spread within a team, you got a real problem. You gotta shut it down.

Shut it down. Quarantine the team, he means. For 14 days. The next two games for that team? Cancelled or postponed. That could be life in the NFL in 2020.

“Also,” I said, “I take it that teams have to be willing to say, If Patrick Mahomes tests positive on a Saturday night, he’s got to disappear for two weeks.

“Absolutely, absolutely,” Fauci said. “It would be malpractice in medicine to put him on the field, absolutely.”

FMIA: Football in the Fall? Dr. Fauci: 'The Virus Will Make Decision For Us' - Peter King, NBC Sports

Yes, I agree with Fauci. If you test on SAT night and four test positive, the team is shut down. I do think that 14 days is unnecessary with daily testing. But the Sunday game would definitely be forfeited, or whatever is decided by the NFL for such situations.

My proposal of a couple of weeks ago is that team (and others) be tested at every practice, before they enter the building, and then again on the way out. I would think that players would NOT be going home to families after say Friday, unless it was at a hotel where everyone has been tested that day.

Yes, I agree with Fauci. If you test on SAT night and four test positive, the team is shut down. I do think that 14 days is unnecessary with daily testing. But the Sunday game would definitely be forfeited, or whatever is decided by the NFL for such situations.

My proposal of a couple of weeks ago is that team (and others) be tested at every practice, before they enter the building, and then again on the way out. I would think that players would NOT be going home to families after say Friday, unless it was at a hotel where everyone has been tested that day.

I hate this situation. A cold, objective, clear eyed look at it leaves the season in doubt.

How many teams will have two or three players test positive during the week? Every one of those teams leads to at least one game cancellation.

On every one of those teams, all the players will be quarantined from contact with their families. If the test was done on Monday or Tuesday, does the team they played on the prior Sunday considered to have been exposed? What's the line there?

All of those families who have been in contact with any player on that team in the prior 14 days will be quarantined as well, until that player tests negative for 14 days in a row. Same with the staffs of the teams - people in many cases making "normal" salaries and who are hourly workers.

How many players are just going to retire rather than play under these circumstances? Any player who has a couple million in the bank, and is nearing the end of a career, and has a family will have to think about it. The McCourty's, Chung, Hightower, Andrews, Cannon, Mason, Edelman, White, Burkhead, Bolden, Slater, off the top of my head. The roster we are looking at now may be significantly different by October.

In summary, we haven't heard from the players yet. We've only heard from the business owners, who are a ragtag group of entitled billionaires, for many of whom the NFL is a hobby.

How many teams will have two or three players test positive during the week? Every one of those teams leads to at least one game cancellation.

I disagree.

Firstly, we presume that it is a requirement that players go home to family everyday and that the family is not restricted. As I have said, the families would be at a hotel.

If a player tests positive or even one of the many who attend practice, the game needn't be cancelled. What is required is that every player continue to be tested every day. If there was a positive on Tuesday, that player would not play. The others are fine, if they are tested every day.

I disagree.

Firstly, we presume that it is a requirement that players go home to family everyday and that the family is not restricted. As I have said, the families would be at a hotel.

If a player tests positive or even one of the many who attend practice, the game needn't be cancelled. What is required is that every player continue to be tested every day. If there was a positive on Tuesday, that player would not play. The others are fine, if they are tested every day.

Do I understand you to say that players' families will be required to live in a hotel during the entire season? No outside contact where they could infect the player, including school?

And what of the time period when a person (player, staff, family member) is contagious but has yet to test positive?

NFL season will be cancelled. Just too complicated.

NBA are delusional and need to just call it a day.

No stadiums will have fans in it. The games just won't have the same feel it once did.

Or

We need to just accept this is never going to go away even with a "vaccine".

NFL season will be cancelled. Just too complicated.

NBA are delusional and need to just call it a day.

No stadiums will have fans in it. The games just won't have the same feel it once did.

Or

We need to just accept this is never going to go away even with a "vaccine".

Canceled makes the most sense because the safety of older coaches, personnel and player's families are all at stake. That being said, the NFL doesn't exactly have the greatest record with medical safety when it affects their bank account.

Can’t agree there. I’d much rather have a shortened season (with or without fans) than no season at all. It isn’t like this is being caused by labor unrest or a lockout or anything like that.

Right, timing is everything.............if the NBA or NHL re-started with their playoffs, it would feel 'weird' and whomever won I feel like would have an asterisk at the end of the season.

But when the stoppage is at the beginning of the season people don't remember (or at least consider it an asterisk-worthy' scenario).

Do you feel like the Blackhawks are less of a champ for their win in 2013?

Or do you feel like the Spurs shouldn't be true champions for their lockout-shortened title?

Do I understand you to say that players' families will be required to live in a hotel during the entire season? No outside contact where they could infect the player, including school?

And what of the time period when a person (player, staff, family member) is contagious but has yet to test positive?

I would expect the decision to be made by the players one homestead at a time. These players who are paid millions would be staying at hotels rather than living at home risking infection. They would have the choice of whether their families would live in the hotel under quarantine also. Players would leave the hotel only to go to team facilities in a team vehicle.

With adequate testing this can work.

Being with families on a daily basis is not possible in many jobs.
====
With regard to road trips, family members could travel with the team to be quarantined at the team hotel, or not.

Canceled makes the most sense because the safety of older coaches, personnel and player's families are all at stake. That being said, the NFL doesn't exactly have the greatest record with medical safety when it affects their bank account.

Yes, the league, networks and unions can simply give up and pass on billions of revenue, and choose not to provide entertainment to Americans across the country. Folks from many kinds of entertainment have decided differently.

What we are saying is that a team going on the road should just pass on tens of millions of dollars instead of being quarantined when on a road trip.

And yes, daily testing before games would be required.
Testing before games once a week isn’t going to cut it, and the idea that you can test everyone before practice or film sessions on a daily basis is simply impractical. It’s unlikely to happen in my opinion. You’d need about 100 tests a day (including trainers, docs, etc) per team, or 700 a week. Multiply that by the 32 teams and you’re getting close to 25,000 tests a week, or about 100,000 tests per month that are solely dedicated to the NFL. I have a hard time believing that could happen.

With the general safety issues/traveling issues, the expected pushback from the unions regarding money, the individual decisions from certain states like CA to handle things more cautiously, and the potential for an increase in infection rates projected by many of the models, it’s difficult for me to see any of the major sports returning in 2020.

I would expect the decision to be made by the players one homestead at a time. These players who are paid millions would be staying at hotels rather than living at home risking infection. They would have the choice of whether their families would live in the hotel under quarantine also. Players would leave the hotel only to go to team facilities in a team vehicle.

With adequate testing this can work.

Being with families on a daily basis is not possible in many jobs.
====
With regard to road trips, family members could travel with the team to be quarantined at the team hotel, or not.

This will be possible if the rest of society remains shut down - kids not going to school, wives not working or doing whatever they do outside of the house, no visits to grandparents, etc. Nobody is going to want proximity contact with the family member of an NFL player who has recently exchanged fluids with a few dozen other people, who in turn exchanged fluids with a few dozen other people just a few days prior, with some in that network testing positive at some point in that sequencing.

Otherwise, NFL players will need to be assumed to be infected in terms of family and outside activities. The NFL becomes one huge quarantined community, as if they all had TB or leprosy.

Unless the "liberation" movement just takes over and society throws up its hands and decides that the illness and death is worth the benefits of normalcy, which wouldn't surprise me.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Green Bay season ticket holder file a lawsuit to require the fulfillment of their contract, given the court ruling of yesterday.

Testing before games once a week isn’t going to cut it, and the idea that you can test everyone before practice or film sessions on a daily basis is simply impractical. It’s unlikely to happen in my opinion. You’d need about 100 tests a day (including trainers, docs, etc) per team, or 700 a week. Multiply that by the 32 teams and you’re getting close to 25,000 tests a week, or about 100,000 tests per month that are solely dedicated to the NFL. I have a hard time believing that could happen.

With the general safety issues/traveling issues, the expected pushback from the unions regarding money, the individual decisions from certain states like CA to handle things more cautiously, and the potential for an increase in infection rates projected by many of the models, it’s difficult for me to see any of the major sports returning in 2020.

Again, folks here just don't think that many millions of 5 minute tests will be available in a couple of months. The manufacturers believe that they will be available. The rest of the world isn't have trouble accessing testing. For example, there was a very minor outbreak in Wuhan. Their reaction was to test all 11 million people over the next couple of weeks.

You saying that daily testing is impractical. I strongly disagree. I believe that many job sites will be doing exactly that in a couple of months.
=====
BTW, what do you men when you say that you expect pushback from the unions regarding money? Do you think that the union will favor having no season?

Again, folks here just don't think that many millions of 5 minute tests will be available in a couple of months. The manufacturers believe that they will be available. The rest of the world isn't have trouble accessing testing. For example, there was a very minor outbreak in Wuhan. Their reaction was to test all 11 million people over the next couple of weeks.

You saying that daily testing is impractical. I strongly disagree. I believe that many job sites will be doing exactly that in a couple of months.
=====
BTW, what do you men when you say that you expect pushback from the unions regarding money? Do you think that the union will favor having no season?
First off, our testing capacity is problematic, meaning that there are tons of false negatives and only a small fraction of the tests available even months later. I don’t see how you can prioritize millionaire athletes and billionaire owners over other “everyday” people who are sick, and according to a recent article that I read there’s been a shortage of swabs available that will still be an issue as deep as the end of the year. By the end of 2020, only 100 million people total will have been tested in this country (they hope), so any comparison to the 11m tested this week in Wuhan simply doesn’t apply. Our country has been behind the whole time. I don’t see what you think is going to happen in the next month or two with OTAs, mini camps, and training camps?

In terms of the unions—have you been paying attention to baseball? The owners are expecting them to eat some of the losses from revenue sharing, so they’re having pissing matches as to how that would hypothetically work. With Adam Schefter’s recent report that NFL teams will have a reduction in their salary cap from anywhere between 30-80 million next season, it surely suggests the same type of issue with football.

Just this week, we had a hockey player talk about how no one wants to take the risk and leave their families for the 6-8 week proposed timeframe in quarantine (which wouldn’t even work, by the way) to try and finish their season with some type of truncated “tournament-like” process that sounds like it would be half-assed to begin with. We also saw some universities in the state of CA tell the world that they won’t be having students on campus in the fall, making football a complete afterthought. To me, that’s certainly not a positive development.

The NFL quietly extended its “virtual offseason“ this week where all of the 32 teams are continuing to miss OTAs, and they’ll definitely miss mini camps in a couple of weeks, too. Lots of players can’t even work out in certain ways because they cannot go to the gym. There’s no equality in terms of what teams will see their states’ restrictions lessened and what teams won’t. That’s another major issue.

Logistically speaking, there are barriers upon barriers that are currently preventing football from returning, so I think it may be quite a challenge in terms of trying to pull this off without having a vaccine in place. And of course, all of this is assuming that there won’t be a second wave that occurs from lessening restrictions too early, and/or the fall and winter seasons which are known for spreading viruses on the regular. Considering how many experts and models are predicting this to happen, it just seems like there are too many variables in play here to actually think this could be anything of a realistic option.

First off, our testing capacity is problematic, meaning that there are tons of false negatives and only a small fraction of the tests available even months later. I don’t see how you can prioritize millionaire athletes and billionaire owners over other “everyday” people who are sick, and according to a recent article that I read there’s been a shortage of swabs available that will still be an issue as deep as the end of the year. By the end of 2020, only 100 million people total will have been tested in this country (they hope), so any comparison to the 11m tested this week in Wuhan simply doesn’t apply. Our country has been behind the whole time. I don’t see what you think is going to happen in the next month or two with OTAs, mini camps, and training camps?

In terms of the unions—have you been paying attention to baseball? The owners are expecting them to eat some of the losses from revenue sharing, so they’re having pissing matches as to how that would hypothetically work. With Adam Schefter’s recent report that NFL teams will have a reduction in their salary cap from anywhere between 30-80 million next season, it surely suggests the same type of issue with football.

Just this week, we had a hockey player talk about how no one wants to take the risk and leave their families for the 6-8 week proposed timeframe in quarantine (which wouldn’t even work, by the way) to try and finish their season with some type of truncated “tournament-like” process that sounds like it would be half-assed to begin with. We also saw some universities in the state of CA tell the world that they won’t be having students on campus in the fall, making football a complete afterthought. To me, that’s certainly not a positive development.

The NFL quietly extended its “virtual offseason“ this week where all of the 32 teams are continuing to miss OTAs, and they’ll definitely miss mini camps in a couple of weeks, too. Lots of players can’t even work out in certain ways because they cannot go to the gym. There’s no equality in terms of what teams will see their states’ restrictions lessened and what teams won’t. That’s another major issue.

Logistically speaking, there are barriers upon barriers that are currently preventing football from returning, so I think it may be quite a challenge in terms of trying to pull this off without having a vaccine in place. And of course, all of this is assuming that there won’t be a second wave that occurs from lessening restrictions too early, and/or the fall and winter seasons which are known for spreading viruses on the regular. Considering how many experts and models are predicting this to happen, it just seems like there are too many variables in play here to actually think this could be anything of a realistic option.

I understand that many are fine with ending all sports seasons, accepting the loss of revenue. After all, the teams, players and networks have lots of money.

I also understand that many believe that we will not have enough test supplies in August and September. That's their choice. In my state, folks are having non-essential surgeries, with testing beforehand. The hospital that I use had tests available for those showing symptoms or those with whom they contacted from the first week. I receive GA media on my television. No cost testing centers have been open for weeks in the Savannah area, and most other parts of the state.
========
We'll wait and see. IMO, it is sheer incompetence for there not to be enough swabs in July or August; that's just silly. I recall the shortage of surgical/fabric masks. Sure, it existed for a few weeks, until tens of thousands of women at home, and factories starting producing them. One of the local department stores advertises that they have them. As far as N95 masks, my dentist office has an ample supply, enough to re-open with N95 masks, gowns and the rest of the necessary equipment.
=========
BOTTOM LINE
All games may indeed be cancelled. However, this will NOT happen because of the lack of testing materials. They may cancelled because the second wave is large.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back