PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL officials [mergedx4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should the NFL intensify its background on NFL referees ?

With the investigation over the NBA referee that was betting on games,even those games he had been officiating,you have to wonder if the NFL should go a bit deeper into the backgrounds of the referees for stuff like gambling issues ect: and some type of check to make sure these guys don't have gambling problems.

I am sure this is not the first official to be betting on games he was a referee in and he won't be the last and you gotta be concerned if that may affect or affect the outcome on NFL games as well.

This guy was caught,How many are still doing it?

Should the NFL get more in to referee's hobbies ect:?

Re: Should the NFL intensify its background on NFL referees ?

I'd say it's fairly safe to assume it will be happening for all major sports. It's one of the issues that could kill their golden egg. In this particular case it will be interesting to see if there's anything that better background checks would have raised a flag over.

I really think that with the exponentially shorter schedule than other sports and the use of instant replay and the scrutiny these guys are already under where individual calls are concerned, the NFL is probably already doing a better job than the other leagues could or have done.

With guys like Pete Rose and Art Schlister,the background checks maybe should go even farther into players offfield activities,Maybe if it were done a long time ago Vick would not be in the mess he is in,and yes that was a gambling issue as well when you consider the money invested and wagered on in the dogfighting activities.

How many NFL players are betting on games?

Its something we may never know unless it leaks out,but you can bet its happening every week in a typical NFL season,both players and refs.

While I agree on some things that Mo said regarding the NFL referees, I can't agree that they are exponentially better than any other league. For all my gripes about the Refs in hockey, I think that THEIR system is the best in terms of grading how a crew does during a game. They have an off-ice official who re-watches the games and they are graded within 24 hours as to how they did. Every NHL referee is a full time employee of the league and they have an NHL issued lap-top so they can receive their game reviews.

If the NFL adopted this sort of standard, I'd be much happier. The referees the last two years have been down right atrocious come play-off time. We've all talked about the absolutely horrendous calls that have happened at the Patriots expense the last two years. From the bogus PI call on Samuel against Denver, to the bogus one against Hobbs against the Colts, to the missed call against Kelvin Hayden where he practially raped Caldwell in the endzone. And that isn't to mention the pitiful calling in SB40.

With guys like Pete Rose and Art Schlister,the background checks maybe should go even farther into players offfield activities,Maybe if it were done a long time ago Vick would not be in the mess he is in,and yes that was a gambling issue as well when you consider the money invested and wagered on in the dogfighting activities.

How many NFL players are betting on games?

Its something we may never know unless it leaks out,but you can bet its happening every week in a typical NFL season,both players and refs.
I think you're being paranoid... Just because one schmuck in the NBA got busted doesn't mean there is the same thing going on in the NFL. The NFL is the sport most closely associated with gambling and therefore has the highest referee security methods imaginable... in fact, I would bet the NBA adopts the NFL's standards from now on.

Re: NFL officials [mergedx2]

Wow, this became a one heated discussion. But anyways, I think alot of people have a good point. The NFL officials are def more closely watched than any other official and there are more on the field. So there is obviously less of a room for them to cheat.

While I agree on some things that Mo said regarding the NFL referees, I can't agree that they are exponentially better than any other league. For all my gripes about the Refs in hockey, I think that THEIR system is the best in terms of grading how a crew does during a game. They have an off-ice official who re-watches the games and they are graded within 24 hours as to how they did. Every NHL referee is a full time employee of the league and they have an NHL issued lap-top so they can receive their game reviews.

If the NFL adopted this sort of standard, I'd be much happier. The referees the last two years have been down right atrocious come play-off time. We've all talked about the absolutely horrendous calls that have happened at the Patriots expense the last two years. From the bogus PI call on Samuel against Denver, to the bogus one against Hobbs against the Colts, to the missed call against Kelvin Hayden where he practially raped Caldwell in the endzone. And that isn't to mention the pitiful calling in SB40.

Exactly, and that's all we're saying.

We're not paranoid, it's just that, were such violations as mentioned here to be discovered, then many of us would not be that shocked.

The referees the last two years have been down right atrocious come play-off time. We've all talked about the absolutely horrendous calls that have happened at the Patriots expense the last two years. From the bogus PI call on Samuel against Denver, to the bogus one against Hobbs against the Colts, to the missed call against Kelvin Hayden where he practially raped Caldwell in the endzone. And that isn't to mention the pitiful calling in SB40.
Forget about looking at just the calls against the Patriots...there have been some bad calls in MANY NFL games..and it's the weakest part of the NFL. Much has been written about what could be done and it seems that after this Vick situation clears, should be a top priority by Goodell. They NEED to do much more than they have. The Super Bowl of 2 years ago was horribly officiated. If THAT is the best they have to offer, there are big problems there. Also, I do not think because there are more officials that it's any less possible. One call if timed, cam change the momentum in a game. I think the NFL needs to do it's BEST to be sure that calls are correct.

Re: NFL officials [mergedx2]

No sport is immune from the possibility of an official fixing games or shaving points. They all have judgement calls. Baseball has balls and strikes. The NBA is almost all judgement calls. In the NFL, you can call holding on every play. You can call illegal contact on every pass play. All it would take is one or 2 flags at the right time to change the outcome.

Last edited:
There is a scandal brewing in the NBA with regards to an NBA official throwing games.

That got me to thinking about the NFL and how easy it would be to have an official change the game.

I don't think it would be that easy but calling holding or movement on the O- line can be done on almost any play. Even several such calls to kill drives would not insure a win or loss.

But the single call on a play that can change a game is the long Pass Interference call. Aside from any other reason, I think the NFL should protect itself by revising its rules somewhat to remove the possibility as much as possible. It could create an incidental PI and a grievous PI, just as it has done for the face mask penalty.

Only in patently obvious pass interference should the grievous PI call of distance and First Down be called. The other could be ten yards and an FD, and would apply in most cases.

Then I would look about putting a chip into the football that can determine whether the ball crossed the goal line or not, like tennis does.
There is little reason to still use chains as, a chipped ball could certainly indicate where it came to rest to set for the next play on a routine run. But that is not as necessary.

Comments anyone?

Re: NFL officiating

Now that I think about it, that Ellis Hobbs pass interferance call comes to mind, and just how does Caldwell getting tackled in the endzone before the ball get there get missed. I'm just saying...

Re: NFL officiating

There was a thread about this a week ago..and I believe the NFL needs to look at their officiating as it is teh weakest part of their league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye