PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Network should replay NBC Broadcast of Pats-Raiders playoff 12/18/76 in its entirety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roughing the passer was the culmination of a bunch of horrid calls. From The Patriots' Best

"Five penalties were called on the Patriots on Oakland's winning touchdown drive, including (the) roughing the passer penalty".

"(Russ) Francis being mugged by Raiders linebacker Phil Villapiano with no call".

"(Russ) Francis having his nose broken by the Raiders' George Atkinson, again with no call".

Remember on that play by Villapiano, he has admitted he simply tackled Francis because he was beat and that he fully expected to get called for it. He completely held down both of Francis's arms.

This call made me realize what was happening. What happened after was just expected confirmation.

I don't remember anything about this game being that I wasn't born yet and both my parents were still in High school

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I don't remember anything about this game being that I wasn't born yet and both my parents were still in High school

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
It was really bad. I'm happy to say, I've never seen anything like it before or since.

"That was one of the worst-called games I have ever seen in my life," said an angry Patriots DE Julius Adams.

The Steelers agreed, it was a home job.

Yeah, whenever a Raider fan starts to get salty about the tuck rule - I remind them of this screw job. And the tuck rule was the correct call.
The problem is that most Raider's fans are too stupid to remember the day of the week, let alone a game from 1976. I was only 6 at the time and was a casual fan until '85. After that I was hooked. The tuck rule was definitely divine payback for 1976.

I was not quite 1. Would like to see it.

He never won a playoff game so he didn't reach the top

This opinion that people share drives me nuts. Dan Fouts, Marino, Ted Williams, Earnie Banks these guys did not reach the pinnacle of sports? Some players at the highest pinnacle of sports did not win championships. That is like a backup that plays 5 snaps a game on a championship team is at the pinnacle of his sport. Championships in team sports can only be in addition to a player s success, never a lack of one, having a detrimental effect on a players valuation.

This opinion that people share drives me nuts. Dan Fouts, Marino, Ted Williams, Earnie Banks these guys did not reach the pinnacle of sports? Some players at the highest pinnacle of sports did not win championships. That is like a backup that plays 5 snaps a game on a championship team is at the pinnacle of his sport. Championships in team sports can only be in addition to a player s success, never a lack of one, having a detrimental effect on a players valuation.
It's a team sport. The reason they play is to win. So yes the pinnacle is winning championships.
I have no idea how someone could say a ciachvwho didn't win a playoff game is at the pinnacle. What other criteria is there?

Top, definition: Having the best team in the league and the sport for that season, and being prevented from winning through no actions by you or your opponent.
That's silly.

It's a team sport. The reason they play is to win. So yes the pinnacle is winning championships.
I have no idea how someone could say a ciachvwho didn't win a playoff game is at the pinnacle. What other criteria is there?
I guess Ernie Davis sucked because he never won a playoff game.

correct it is a team sport, but they are individual performances in that team effort. those efforts can be at the pinnacle of performance no matter how bad his surrounding cast.

Your take is that a triple crown winner in baseball can not be the player of the year, and it has to go a someone on a championship team, even if that players efforts fall far short of the triple crown winner.

correct it is a team sport, but they are individual performances in that team effort. those efforts can be at the pinnacle of performance no matter how bad his surrounding cast.

Your take is that a triple crown winner in baseball can not be the player of the year, and it has to go a someone on a championship team, even if that players efforts fall far short of the triple crown winner.
The fact is you need a great team to win the championship, in all the sports. You can have outstanding great players who never get a championship. And like someone else said a back up QB could get a ring. Heck Osweiller got a ring for last year.. is he better than Marino now? Same argument for why Bradshaw is never in the "discussion". The 76 Pats were an outstanding football team. Grogan set a record for rushing touchdowns that stood for 35 years until Cam Newton broke it. And they did get robbed in the playoffs. (though even without the ruffing call the Raiders still have one more down, though 4th and 15 or something) That Pats team was better than the teams that made the Super Bowl in 1985 and 1996 for sure.

Roughing the passer was the culmination of a bunch of horrid calls. From The Patriots' Best

"Five penalties were called on the Patriots on Oakland's winning touchdown drive, including (the) roughing the passer penalty".

"(Russ) Francis being mugged by Raiders linebacker Phil Villapiano with no call".

"(Russ) Francis having his nose broken by the Raiders' George Atkinson, again with no call".

Remember on that play by Villapiano, he has admitted he simply tackled Francis because he was beat and that he fully expected to get called for it. He completely held down both of Francis's arms.

Yup if that pass was completed or the PI called the PAtriots run the clock out, no drive no Ben Dreith call on Sugar Bear.

I guess Ernie Davis sucked because he never won a playoff game.
Well he is a player and not a coach and of course he never has a chance due to his tragic illness but not sure where you get sick from. The point simply is getting to the top in a team sport is winning a championship.

Look at it another way. You say Fairbanks reached the top as patriots coach. How is that the case when. Other coaches won olayidd games and championships?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News