PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Network should replay NBC Broadcast of Pats-Raiders playoff 12/18/76 in its entirety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actual Pats Fan

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

NFL's Greatest Games

Now, before everybody calls me a glutton for punishment, here are my reasons:

Besides being the de facto championship game of 1976, the outcome was going to be historic regardless. These were the two best teams in the league, by far, and New England's 48-17 destruction in Foxborough on October 3rd was indicative of the Patriots' superiority. The Raiders could not handle them. But that game was not in Oakland, with everything on the line, and the officiating was ordinary - George Atkinson's flagrant fouls were called, for example - and it could reasonably be anticipated that the field would be at least slightly tilted in the home team's favor. After some near misses, it seemed clear, including to the media, that this was 13-1 Oakland's best shot to win a Super Bowl in the 70's.

Boston fans had already seen the Stanley Cup lost to the expansion Flyers two years earlier, and then the Larry Barnett/Jim Burton World Series a year later; but the football world was no more ready to accept a Patriots' world championship then than it would be in February of '02. Football junkies new the truth; aside from them, Rodney Harrison would have found plenty of material in the national media.

All Pats fans remember exactly where we were and who we were with that day. Most of us also lived through JFK's assassination as well, and they are sad memories. But this is our heritage; this is our identity. It was the best of times, and it was the worst of times. This was our pinnacle pre-Tom. But this is also a reminder for us, that we still have unfinished business. Even after four titles and a very promising fifth, most of us realize that total could easily be eight. And, amazingly, we remain as disrespected and yes, ridiculed as ever; and none of us need reminding that the league is not our friend.

And, this is an opportunity for young fans to see us at the dawn of the modern era, before Orthwein/Kraft F.E. Inc. decided to bury the very thing they're honoring now over at the Hall; what deserves to be on our players at the end of the season on the sport's biggest stage, representing us.
th

The original TV audio would be educational; as everything out on the field rapidly spiralled downward from the sublime to the macabre, Curt Gowdy, who of course has tons of local N.E. ties, is mostly silent. His partner, John Brodie, mumbles and bumbles through it, but there's no denying what everybody watching at home was seeing.

But it would, as always, be much more entertaining to hear Gil Santos' and Gino Cappelletti's radio simulcast instead. It's like family members taking you through a journey of adventure and discovery, and as we relive this, we're reassured that our boys did finally make it to the top in '02, and there is a ton of redemption in that.

Last edited:
That 76 team is one of the best teams to never win a super bowl

We went into Pittsburgh and beat the steel curtain on their home turf 30-27 in a huge upset. Some say the 76 steelers were the best D of all time
It's true, Harris & offense were way banged up by the end; AFCCG - & SB - were a formality

I was in my room at Oceana Naval Air Station watching with my room mate. Kind of the day that I too became an "avid" fan of the New England Patriots.

Nah! It's Ok! I remember it still to this day how they got robbed with a bogus call on Sugar Bear Hamilton Roughing Stabler. I actually became a Pat's Fan in '76 and still have my Spirited Patriots Of '76 radio broadcast full season on 12" vinyl album (remember albums?) by Gil Santos.

NFL's Greatest Games

Now, before everybody calls me a glutton for punishment, here are my reasons:

Besides being the de facto championship game of 1976, the outcome was going to be historic regardless. These were the two best teams in the league, by far, and New England's 48-17 destruction in Foxborough on October 3rd was indicative of the Patriots' superiority. The Raiders could not handle them. But that game was not in Oakland, with everything on the line, and the officiating was ordinary - George Atkinson's flagrant fouls were called, for example - and it could reasonably be anticipated that the field would be at least slightly tilted in the home team's favor. After some near misses, it seemed clear, including to the media, that this was 13-1 Oakland's best shot to win a Super Bowl in the 70's.

Boston fans had already seen the Stanley Cup lost to the expansion Flyers two years earlier, and then the Larry Barnett/Jim Burton World Series a year later; but the football world was no more ready to accept a Patriots' world championship then than it would be in February of '02. Football junkies new the truth; aside from them, Rodney Harrison would have found plenty of material in the national media.

All Pats fans remember exactly where we were and who we were with that day. Most of us also lived through JFK's assassination as well, and they are sad memories. But this is our heritage; this is our identity. It was the best of times, and it was the worst of times. This was our pinnacle pre-Tom. But this is also a reminder for us, that we still have unfinished business. Even after four titles and a very promising fifth, most of us realize that total could easily be eight. And, amazingly, we remain as disrespected and yes, ridiculed as ever; and none of us need reminding that the league is not our friend.

And, this is an opportunity for young fans to see us at the dawn of the modern era, before Orthwein/Kraft F.E. Inc. decided to bury the very thing they're honoring now over at the Hall; what deserves to be on our players at the end of the season on the sport's biggest stage, representing us.
th

The original TV audio would be educational; as everything out on the field rapidly spiralled downward from the sublime to the macabre, Curt Gowdy, who of course has tons of local N.E. ties, is mostly silent. His partner, John Brodie, mumbles and bumbles through it, but there's no denying what everybody watching at home was seeing.

But it would, as always, be much more entertaining to hear Gil Santos' and Gino Cappelletti's radio simulcast instead. It's like family members taking you through a journey of adventure and discovery, and as we relive this, we're reassured that our boys did finally make it to the top in '02, and there is a ton of redemption in that.

‘Roughing the Passer’: The Patriots-Raiders Game You Should Know About

In recent years 1 of the best playoff games I have seen... there are so many but Ravens @ Patriots 2014 Divisional round was probably the best play off game I have seen.

There's no denying that 1st SB is arguably the most special but that 76 team is my favorite.

Roughing the passer was the culmination of a bunch of horrid calls. From The Patriots' Best

"Five penalties were called on the Patriots on Oakland's winning touchdown drive, including (the) roughing the passer penalty".

"(Russ) Francis being mugged by Raiders linebacker Phil Villapiano with no call".

"(Russ) Francis having his nose broken by the Raiders' George Atkinson, again with no call".

Remember on that play by Villapiano, he has admitted he simply tackled Francis because he was beat and that he fully expected to get called for it. He completely held down both of Francis's arms.

In the Oakland Tribune the next day, Stabler was quoted as saying he still had the ball in his hand when hit by Sugar Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back