PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Is Considering Adopting The XFL’s Kickoff Style

long snapper

• Ha Ha
Reactions: Ian
I'm all for anything that puts kick returns back into the game. I can't tell you how many times a young FCB got false hope after a big Sammy Martin or Jon Vaughn return after the Pats were already down 3 touchdowns. the KR (and PR) are some of the most exciting plays in football and the league wants to legislate them out of the game because they are afraid of lawsuits.

I'd be completely ok with this change, since it would seem to be a better compromise than the direction they appear to be heading, which is to eliminate kickoffs altogether

I'd rather see the XFL version of kickoffs than no kickoffs

Last edited:
What if they also adopt their extra point scheme?

What about on-sides kicks?
If they're using the XFL rules, instead of an onside kick attempt, a team would get a 4th-and-15 play from their own 25.

Option is only available in the 4th quarter if the kicking team is trailing.

You would lose out on surprise onside kicks, however.

I'm all for anything that puts kick returns back into the game. I can't tell you how many times a young FCB got false hope after a big Sammy Martin or Jon Vaughn return after the Pats were already down 3 touchdowns. the KR (and PR) are some of the most exciting plays in football and the league wants to legislate them out of the game because they are afraid of lawsuits.
I agree. Just out of curiosity, what is the NFLPA's position on kickoffs?

Kickoffs are by far the most dangerous plays in the game. There were 19 known concussions on returns last year.

Way better to adopt the XFL rules than simply legislate kickoffs out of the game which is the way things are currently heading. The number of returns has been steadily dropping and will likely drop further this year with the new rules (except if we see squib kicks I guess).

Kickoffs are by far the most dangerous plays in the game. There were 19 known concussions on returns last year.

Way better to adopt the XFL rules than simply legislate kickoffs out of the game which is the way things are currently heading. The number of returns has been steadily dropping and will likely drop further this year with the new rules (except if we see squib kicks I guess).

Where are you getting this information in regards to injuries? Matt Slater would definitely like to know since he questions the League's legitimacy in terms of reporting those injuries.

Where are you getting this information in regards to injuries?

Reported by SI:

Last year, there were approximately 2,700 kickoffs, meaning that 99.3% of the plays were concussion free. Additionally, 11 of the 19 concussions happened when a return man took the ball out of the end zone, so the proposed rules change would have done nothing to prevent those. And just one of the 19 concussions was to the return man—one sustained by the Packers’ Keisean Nixon, when he was swung around and bounced his head off the turf.

I have to believe that for every reported concussion there are several unreported concussions - fringe players on Special Teams aren't likely to volunteer that they just got dinged. The concussions are primarily not to the returner (which is where everyone is focused) - they are to players blocking each other while running at full speed.

THE FUTURE!

Well I think a lot of things are being softened up due to “athlete” safety…I’m sure these pillow fights are just the beginning of boxing going down the ****ter…well helping at least. Same for MMA. Don’t forget it’s all about safety. /endsarcasm

I told everyone of you Pats fans right here on this board where this league was headed...in 2006. The coup de gras is finally here it seems...

Goodell-as-McMahon.gif

Whenever there's talk about injuries during a kick return, I shudder when I remember Johnny Knox and how he got bent in half. It ruined his life. I would love to never have to see that again.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back