PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL flip-flops, says Hobbs call was correct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Os, I realy do not have a problem with you. You recognize that there were some bad calls in that game and other games. I also believe that the pats were on the bad end of calls against the colts. I never said otherwise. I don't like excuses is all. I don't ever make them when teams I play on or coach get beat. I don't make them for the teams I cheer for either. for another poster I do agree that officials in different games call things differently. I also know that the easiest way to get me upset with an official is if they are not consistent within a game. I want a penalty that is called in the 1st quarter to be called in the 4th as well. I do not think that was the case in this game.

As far as Harrison and bruschi go they were voted by NFL players as being the dirtiest in the league. Their hits are always borderline late. I would say Harrison is the bigger offender of the 2.

Are you serious, do you really believe that they are dirty because a "poll" said so? Could you please provide an examply of their dirty play, just one?

As far as the game goes, i hate people that make excuses too. Just like back in 01 everyone said that the "tuck rule" (again rule that was reviewed and overturned to the correct call) "gave the pats the win". That is complete garbage, all it did was give the pats the ball back...they still had to drive down the field and hit a 45yard FG in the snow! The difference is the raiders gave up after that play, while the pats kept playing.

There are always going to be bad calls going in both directions, and in the past the pats have been able to overcome the bad calls. During the AFCC the reason they lost wasn't becuase of bad calls, it was becuase we had 4th stringers out there on defense (most of the defense) for the 2nd half. When you are playing the dolts and their passing game, and you have to play guys that haven't seen the field all year it's not going to be good. Howver the bad calls against the pats did affect the outcome of the game...how we will never know becuase the game would have been played differently from that point on, but it did affect it none the less.

All in all i though the refs did a pretty good job throughout the playoffs (better than last year), all i wish for from the refs is an even game. No matter how they call it (loose or tight) just be consistant for both teams....that's what i have a problem with!

I think even the Rodney stuff is a bit overplayed, but on what planet is Tedy Bruschi a "dirty" player?

I think even the Rodney stuff is a bit overplayed, but on what planet is Tedy Bruschi a "dirty" player?

Apparently a planet where there are no facts, and polls from people who don't like seeing the pats win every year.....the same poll i believe that also had Tom Brady getting a vote for dirtiest player....so be aware of the source!

Last edited:
I would think NFL players would have knowledge of cheap shots. I will admit that I felt that Rodney was more of a cheap shot guy with the lightning bolts. Tedy always seems to be that split second late with many hits. I can't think of any specific play with him though.

One last note it seems we do not differ too much about officiating. It was positively better this year, but certainly not flawless. I'm happy to hear that you are not blaming the calls for the loss. My last complaint would be the conspiracy theory about the NFL wanting certain teams to win. In my heart of hearts I can't buy that.

I would think NFL players would have knowledge of cheap shots. I will admit that I felt that Rodney was more of a cheap shot guy with the lightning bolts. Tedy always seems to be that split second late with many hits. I can't think of any specific play with him though.

One last note it seems we do not differ too much about officiating. It was positively better this year, but certainly not flawless. I'm happy to hear that you are not blaming the calls for the loss. My last complaint would be the conspiracy theory about the NFL wanting certain teams to win. In my heart of hearts I can't buy that.

Rodney certainly will be the first to hit a little harder than the moment necessitates. He is also not afraid to give an extra little shove as he is getting off of a guy. But his rep is out of control based on what I have seen as a Pat. I cannot speak about his time as a Charger, but Rodney has never done anything like I see Mawae doing just about every time he faces NE. In just the last couple seasons Mawae has intentionally broken Washington's leg and rolled up on Seymour's knee. I am certain that he was a catalyst for Harison's injury this year as well. How his name doesn't come up every time anyone talks about dirty players I will never know.

Tedy is not dirty in the least. The reason his is late getting into tackles (now anyway) is because he just isn't as good as he used to be.

As far as conspiracy theories, I don't buy it at the moment, but I will admit that if you asked me last year after the Denver divisional game I might have sung a different tune.

Mawae is right up there on a short list to be sure, along with any o-lineman on denver.

Not only did Hobbs NOT interfere and make contact, Hobbs made one of the purest examples of covering a receiver that there ever was. Manning threw a Chicken @#$! bail out pass trying to get the call and was acting out the part almost at once when the ball made contact with Hobbs back. The Line judge AND Phil Simms are both morons.
However, it was in the making since 2002 when Dungy and Polien petitioned the league for tougher PI calls and more enforcement on the defensive holding rules.

Wow... blast from the past there merlindegr8. :) I guess it wasn't that long ago, but man it seems like ages.

How about Patriots fans move on?

That call did not cost the Pats the game, regardless.

Well, maybe, because we will never know will we, but the blown no PI call on Caldwell did though. Throw in the fantom roughing call on TBC and the non existant Offensive PI on Brown and a blind man can see a pattern here.

woulda coulda shoulda. I wish you left this in the past but....I think Hobbs call was the worst of the three what more can you do to defend, when the face guarding rule was actually a rule I hated it and it sux worse to get it called on us when its not a rule

Before everybody jumps on me,It was the colts year....The Media,NFL Officals and the NFL made sure it would happen that way...But you know what,I really thing this is the reason why we are agressive this offseason....The part it's like 3/8/07,it ain't over until the fat lady signing....So in away we should thank the colts,NO WAY JOSE!!!We will take nothing for granted....

Well the good thing is, now that the NFL has crowned their precious colts I think they will lighten up on it. The NFL failed with Marino and weren't about to allow it to happen a second time. This year there may be true unbias again.

Well the good thing is, now that the NFL has crowned their precious colts I think they will lighten up on it. The NFL failed with Marino and weren't about to allow it to happen a second time. This year there may be true unbias again.

Right, so the league made sure the Colt's got a ring, but had NOTHING to do with the pats winning three super-bowls? Is that how it works?

Thats some real sound logic ya got there, ace.:rocker:

How about Patriots fans move on?

That call did not cost the Pats the game, regardless.

No sir, You are correct. They didn't. It was the mugging in the endzone that occurred on Caldwell with about three minutes left to go in the game and that was without a doubt P.I. Even the announcers said that the Colts got away with one. I'll give you your two botched calls on Brown and Hobbs for this one which was obvious to everyone in the world (including you I bet. You were looking for the hankie, weren't you?).Lets see...The Pats on the 1 yard line with three minutes to go. Now Peyton needs more than an FG even if the Pats score early. instead we settle for a FG. And to your credit, you do march right down the field against our second string and score.

Hey the NFL wanted Peyton and Dungy to win. Now lets ask the question, if Harrison or Wayne were the receivers on that one play, I bet everything I own that the call is a PI? Agreed? Pollian would have been out on the field!

You deserved to win that game because you took advantage of the breaks offered up to you by some poor refs. It happens. Good for you. We shouldn't have let you back in the game anyway. Regardless, you have to admit the game was tainted.

Best comeback ever?......Please. They tried to give you the Steelers game in 2005 (see the Troy P interception) and could not get it right or make it more obvious. You won like we won the Raiders game (but no one ever says anything about the blow to the head Brady gets from Woodson on that play or discusses it. I have seen lesser infractions called). You had three lucky breaks, we had one. Who knows if the Raiders don't fumble (see Bettis in your game in 2005) the next snap in the conditions anyway, but it would have been bleak.

Now lets agree with one thing. Hobbs never touched Wayne. Wrong call. Next case!

DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft