PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Draft 2006: Which Position Will Be Most Undervalued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
I've read several reports that this year's draft class is extremely strong. Certain positions have been getting most of the hype and publicity. For example, talent at the quarterback, linebacker, and O-line position is said to be in abundance. How do you think these positions will play out and affect the first two rounds of the draft, and which positions do you think will become undervalued as a result (not just those 3 positions, but any other position)?

I am thinking that O-line will be an extremely underrated position in the draft. I think all the top quarterbacks will be taken in the first two rounds, as will all the top linebackers (as well as the top player in the other positions). The quarterbacks and big-name linebackers are this year's 'sexy' picks', and running backs and wide receivers are always popular picks for fan bases.

After the left tackle Ferguson goes in the top 5, I think O-line players will be overshadowed by players who play flashier, higher-profile positions or skill positions. This should leave several top 10 O-linemen still available late in the 2nd round as well as 3rd round. If BB wants to let Neal sign elsewhere and also not extend Koppen, he should feel confident that he can find quality talent in this year's draft without having to pay premiums on picks to get them.

QB's: Young, Leinert, Cutler, Croyle, Jacobs, Martin
LB's: Hawk, Ryans, Greenway, Sims, Carpenter, Parham, Jackson, Hodge, Hoyte
OL: Ferguson, Justice, McNeill, Trueblood, Scott, Lutui, Jean-Gilles, Colledge, Eslinger, Mangold

Also, an interesting tidbit from John Clayton's article on linebackers:
"Only eight linebackers have been first-round picks in the past five drafts. Yet four of the past five defensive rookies of the year have been linebackers. For a position that isn't supposed to be valued for impact, NFL teams seem to be getting a bargain with rookie linebackers."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2346552
Article about the QB's:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2344648

Last edited:
Punters.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Punters.

Wha? I had 4 going in the first round! ;) Maybe I should relook my draft board.

shirtsleeve said:
Wha? I had 4 going in the first round! ;) Maybe I should relook my draft board.

I still think Tom Malone was snubbed for the Heisman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back