PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL.com: Broncos offense will be unstoppable

Or not, maybe its time for you to take down the life size poster of Welker above your bed?

Arrington is better in the nickel than he is playing outside, but let's not fool ourselves. Welker is the best slot receiver in all of football. Arrington, and this is putting it lightly, will have his hands full in that match up. You can deny it all you want, but as Patriots fans we know what #83 can do to the opposing CB. We've seen it time and time again, and Arrington isn't exactly an All-World CB. As I said when I modified my post, the major concern as far as game planning goes should be to limit what Decker and Thomas do. Do that, and get in Manning's face up the gut, and Denver is brought back down to Earth. It will also help if one of the safeties can decapitate Welker ala Ryan Clark and Eric Smith right from the outset.

As for Ball, who knows, the guy is a rookie.

Ball was the best RB in Wisconsin history. A lot of people thought that he would fall flat on his face without Russell Wilson slinging it and opening up the run game. He didn't. He should be very solid in an offense that dictates to the defense that they need to stop the pass first and worry about the run later.

Arrington is better in the nickel than he is playing outside, but let's not fool ourselves. Welker is the best slot receiver in all of football. Arrington, and this is putting it lightly, will have his hands full in that match up. You can deny it all you want, but as Patriots fans we know what #83 can do to the opposing CB. We've seen it time and time again, and Arrington isn't exactly an All-World CB. As I said when I modified my post, the major concern as far as game planning goes should be to limit what Decker and Thomas do. Do that, and get in Manning's face up the gut, and Denver is brought back down to Earth. It will also help if one of the safeties can decapitate Welker ala Ryan Clark and Eric Smith right from the outset.

Ball was the best RB in Wisconsin history. A lot of people thought that he would fall flat on his face without Russell Wilson slinging it and opening up the run game. He didn't. He should be very solid in an offense that dictates to the defense that they need to stop the pass first and worry about the run later.

I agree, but rookie is rookie..prove it int he NFL. Welker is an old guy by football standards, he may not even make it to the Patriots game. I hope he does and I hope that the Patriots rough him up real nice. Arrington will not face Welker alone, he will have help. I expect that the Patriots hit Welker on every play.

I agree, but rookie is rookie..prove it int he NFL. Welker is an old guy by football standards, he may not even make it to the Patriots game. I hope he does and I hope that the Patriots rough him up real nice. Arrington will not face Welker alone, he will have help. I expect that the Patriots hit Welker on every play.

Personally, as a defensive coach, I would be more worried about the two guys that can take the top off the defense than I would be about Welker. If I'm double covering anybody, it would be Decker and Thomas. Those are the two WR's that are the most dangerous for the Broncos because they can strike from anywhere on the field. That thinking partly goes into my reasoning for saying that Welker will probably have his way. That and Arrington being pretty thoroughly "meh".

As for Welker being an "old guy", those who used that reasoning as a coping mechanism last season were proven to be horribly wrong. I saw no clear cut sign that he was on the decline, and drops are not indicitative of that.

That's why you hit him with a LB at the LOS. You can still play a two deep safety defense...heck, who knows whether Manning can sling the ball down field with enough sizzle to put fear in the defense.

Even if their O is "unstoppable" or "invincible", then it won't matter a damn if they can't rely on their D to win them those hard fought games.

Sounds exactly like the Patriots since all the Parcells players/talent left....

That's why you hit him with a LB at the LOS. You can still play a two deep safety defense...heck, who knows whether Manning can sling the ball down field with enough sizzle to put fear in the defense.

If you slide a LB over to check Welker at the LOS, Manning will just dump it off to his check down since, aside from Collins, none of our LB's are strong in pursuit or good at covering ground in a hurry. It's a good idea in theory, but it's not an idea that you want to use throughout the game.

If you slide a LB over to check Welker at the LOS, Manning will just dump it off to his check down since, aside from Collins, none of our LB's are strong in pursuit or good at covering ground in a hurry. It's a good idea in theory, but it's not an idea that you want to use throughout the game.

Sounds like a good plan for creating INTs at the check down receiver who i suppose would be the RB out of the backfield? I think that keeping Manning throwing to a RB or TE on a super fast check down is a receipe for WIN on the Patriots end.

Nah, most likely, it would cause Manning to hold the ball while the RB actually releases into a check down route but more likely he would stay in to block because after chipping Welker, the LB would rush the QB, which would actually create an opportunity for a pass rush to get to him or for a coverage LB or A. Wilson to jump a route. Coverage sack.

Sounds like a good plan for creating INTs at the check down receiver who i suppose would be the RB out of the backfield? I think that keeping Manning throwing to a RB or TE on a super fast check down is a receipe for WIN on the Patriots end.

Nah, most likely, it would cause Manning to hold the ball while the RB actually releases into a check down route but more likely he would stay in to block because after chipping Welker, the LB would rush the QB, which would actually create an opportunity for a pass rush to get to him or for a coverage LB or A. Wilson to jump a route. Coverage sack.

Like I said, it's a good idea in theory. But Manning would figure that out really quick, even if the disguise is good. Plus, it's not just the RB that could be the check down. It could be the TE as well. A TE, on a check down, doesn't need nearly as much time to release. Against our slower LB's, he could pick that apart all day long.

I do agree, though, that the Patriots should and have to (as always) throw multiple looks at Manning. But the crux of the defensive gameplan should go to limiting Decker and Thomas as much as possible. You want to make the Broncos offense earn those yards on top of getting pressure on Manning up the A and B gaps. If Decker and Thomas get going, that means that the Broncos are picking up yardage in big chunks. In the end, I think Belichick will live with what Welker will be able to do if he can stop or limit the flanker and split end on the other side of the ball.

We of all people should know that an "unstoppable offense" doesn't guarantee anything in the playoffs.

If I'm a Broncos fan I worry about that secondary. A lot. Guess it depends how their new guys fit in.

The offensive line goes unmentioned. Football is only about the skill positions. :rolleyes:

As a Bronco fan, I can say that the offensive line is still the weakest link even with Clady on it. Particularly if there are any injuries on it, and there always are, there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO depth behind the starting line.

I do think the defense is better than it was last year or the year before even though Dumervil was cut because he couldn't figure out how to use a fax machine. But they picked up a couple of guys for the line that ease that pain. They went out and got Quinten Jammer and DR Cromartie n the secondary. I think overall it was a net gain on defense.

Excited about the upcoming season, but I'd be careful to use terms like "unstoppable." We've heard it before. Just like we heard the Titanic was unsinkable, only to have it at the bottom of the ocean on its maiden voyage.

Running back core is the X factor. Don't know what we're gonna get with the rookie.

They would probably use a combination coverage on Welker. Chuck him at the line with a LB or Safety and then have the nickel Corner pick him up or jump his route. Welker's game is based on timing and reading the defense. If you can make Welker misread the defense or throw off the timing, he is useless.

Useless?

I was wholly on board with letting Wes walk. He is showing signs of wear and tear and his hands have become problematic, but let's keep things real. Wes is still a fine receiver who isn't going to be overwhelmed by a LB chuck and Arrington waiting for him.

Not very interesting. Welker will have his way with Arrington. That's fine. It's Decker and Thomas that our defense has to stop. Control them, get after Manning up the A and B gaps, and Denver will become very beatable.

Welker owns pretty much every slot CB, but if you had to choose one, wouldn't you want the CB who's faced him three straight years in practice and did a remarkable job on Cruz?

I'm not too sure Welker would own Arrington.

Welker owns pretty much every slot CB, but if you had to choose one, wouldn't you want the CB who's faced him three straight years in practice and did a remarkable job on Cruz?

Arrington lined up on the outside a lot of the time Welker and he were on the team. It wasn't until halfway through the 2012 season that Arrington was lining up in the nickel full time in practice.

On paper, they look pretty good, I admit. They'll eat the easy teams for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

They've got a lot of weapons - honestly, I think the Pats should have paid Welker, as much to keep him on the team as to keep him away from Manning.

And traded Hernandez to Denver instead. A move that would have been Ruth-ian-McHale-ian in scale.

NFL.com:Broncos offense will be unstoppable

Saying the broncos O is unstoppable is reaching. Yes you haves manning and Wes. But it all matters how you game plan and execute. You can be unstoppable in July, but are you in the season? The good thing we have is facing them later on, and we know welker. Who knows, welker could be facing a top D this year. All we know, is he will probably drop a couple big passes.

And traded Hernandez to Denver instead. A move that would have been Ruth-ian-McHale-ian in scale.

Would have, could have, should have. It's over with now. The mistake was made and Welker will be lining up in with a horse on his helmet next season. I'll wish him the best of luck before kickoff, then hope one of our safeties absolutely obliterates him on the first pass of the game that comes his way.

Matching the Patriots defense against the Broncos offense, Talib and Dowling (if healthy) can be lined up on the outside against Thomas and Decker, putting two big 6'1 physical man corners against two big receivers on the outside. Interesting matchup here is Arrington on Welker.

That would not be a good Match-up for the Patriots...Arrington against anybody is not a good match-up for the Patriots. Arrington looks and plays better in street clothes know what I mean *wink wink*.:cool::D

Is Kyle Arrington your family member? you gotta be kidding me.:snob:

Is Kyle Arrington your family member? you gotta be kidding me.:snob:

Even if their O is "unstoppable" or "invincible", then it won't matter a damn if they can't rely on their D to win them those hard fought games.

Hmm... somehow sounds familiar. Can't exactly put my finger on where tho.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back