PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL.com : Brady Greatest QB ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Graham and Staubach should be 3-4. As much as I dislike the Cowboys these days, Staubach is the football version of none other than the baseball's late, great Ted Williams. A true Patriot who didn't play a down of professional football until he was 27....and still took his team to 5 SB's winning 2. I give props where props are do.

Astonishing.

I like the list but imo Bradshaw would be lower than Staubach.

Its a religious argument.

Staubach has better regular season numbers. Qb rating, etc.

Playoff numbers are about the same.

They were both scrambling QBs. Ground numbers are about the same.

Terry has 4 rings. Roger has 2.

Terry won head-to-head twice (not the same as Brady/Eli)

At the end of the day, IMO titles are the #1 stat for a QB that weighs the most.

I know the Aikman crowd will complain, but Terry carried the offense in 78 and 79. Aikman never had to carry an offense or win a game really in the playoffs.

This is about quarterbacks......not passers. Quarterbacks win multiple Super Bowls, championships, lead their teams AND are passers.

1. Brady
2. Montana
3. Starr
4. Bradshaw
5. Graham
6. Unitas
7. Staubach
8. Elway
9. P. Manning
10. Roethlisberger

A list of just passers is completely different.

Good list... I might quibble about the order, but the names are spot on.

Good list... I might quibble about the order, but the names are spot on.
Clearly its an inexact science. On another night, I might shift a few around as well.

Its a religious argument.

Staubach has better regular season numbers. Qb rating, etc.

Playoff numbers are about the same.

They were both scrambling QBs. Ground numbers are about the same.

Terry has 4 rings. Roger has 2.

Terry won head-to-head twice (not the same as Brady/Eli)

At the end of the day, IMO titles are the #1 stat for a QB that weighs the most.

I know the Aikman crowd will complain, but Terry carried the offense in 78 and 79. Aikman never had to carry an offense or win a game really in the playoffs.

Well I will agree with you in that you put him on the list which some don't but the original Roger Doger, the creator of the Hail Mary pass, the veteran ( Yes I pulled out the vet card ) of the US Navy is above the guy who couldn't spell Cat if you spotted him the C & T. :D

Well I will agree with you in that you put him on the list which some don't but the original Roger Doger, the creator of the Hail Mary pass, the veteran ( Yes I pulled out the vet card ) of the US Navy is above the guy who couldn't spell Cat if you spotted him the C & T. :D

Love Staubach....a great player but a gentleman of gentlemen.

I bet BB would put Staubach in his top 5 of not top 3...hell maybe even #2

I'd put Brees ahead of Elway.Elway couldn't hit the broadside of a barn for much of his career.

Marino is still very high up there for me. He was not just a good passer. He was an excellent QB. Great pocket presence, perhaps no one better ever in the pocket--except for Brady. Surely Marino had the quickest release. He was even more immobile than Brady--and he had a horrible temper that betrayed his leadership. The Dolphins of the 1980s were basically all Marino. Sure, they had the Killer Bs defense, but go back and try to remember any of those guys with B in their names. Budzinski? Uh....

Oh what's wrong NYJFL*? Poor little idiots scared of losing ratings? Now you're trying to win us back?

How about this, GO **** YOURSELVES, I can't wait to see ya'll implode!
I tell ya, that Jacksonville v Tennessee Thursday night game next weeks gonna get BIG LEAGUE ratings

The sky is blue!

I would also lower Bradshaw's standing for appearing all those years on Fox NFL Sunday.

peyton manning is 2nd best QB i've ever seen. football is a team game. peyton is a victim of his own greatness. him being the Ocoord failed him too many times in the playoffs, but i can't deny the bulk stats, mvps, and overall greatness. i enjoyed brady/manning rivalry. it was a great rivalry.

1. brady
2. peyton manning
3. joe montana

that's my top 3.

Can someone explain why Elway always makes these lists? Eli has the same number of rings, more TDs, less picks, a better completion percentage, and a higher QB rating.

I'm certainly not arguing that Eli is an all-time great QB, I'm wondering why so many people seem to think that Elway (or Aikman, for that matter) is up there with the legends. Elway as a QB was, I dunno, above average.

Can someone explain why Elway always makes these lists? Eli has the same number of rings, more TDs, less picks, a better completion percentage, and a higher QB rating.

I'm certainly not arguing that Eli is an all-time great QB, I'm wondering why so many people seem to think that Elway (or Aikman, for that matter) is up there with the legends. Elway as a QB was, I dunno, above average.
i think its because his teams went to the superbowl many (5) times, and he won the last two championships before he retired

Reporters and columnists do not always write exactly what their CEOs would most like to see. The same goes for broadcast media.

"News" organizations that are exceptions to this generalization have huge difficulties hiring and retaining top talent. The most relevant example to us may be Mike Reiss. The most visible example overall might be Fox News.

Please tell me you meant that he should be lower than 3 (i.e 4,5,6,7............). He shouldn't even be in top 5 if you ask me.

One of the things that hurts PEDton is the fact that the only two SBs he won were not because of him. That can't be said about his 9 one-and-dones.

BrINT Favre being on the list is also a disgrace. He was the Carl Yastrzemski of the NFL. He was a good to great player but longevity was his true claim to fame.

You can't ignore the fact that it is much easier to pass in today's game than it was when Elway played. Elway was much better than Eli. Rodgers sort of reminds me of him in that Elway was so physically gifted for the position. He would make throws that would just wow you. Such as rolling out to his right and then throwing a laser 30 yards down the left side of the field. He was fun to watch. As for his success vs. Eli, his regular season record was 148-82 vs. Eli's 100-89. His post season record was. 14-7 vs. 8-3 for Eli. He was a 9 time pro bowler while Eli has been selected 4 times. It's really no contest.

BrINT Favre being on the list is also a disgrace. He was the Carl Yastrzemski of the NFL. He was a good to great player but longevity was his true claim to fame.
A look at the list and it's clear that whoever compiled this list went with style over substance for the most part. Favre is simply a big name and he was fun to watch (if you aren't a fan of his team, although he was quite revered in Green Bay before the retirement disaster), a true gunslinger. The 2009 season really is his career in a micro-cosm. When he was on he was great, but he could cost his team games with bone-headed decisions, like in the NFCCG against New Orleans. Frankly, the Vikings should've won that game. The Vikings had 475 yards to the Saints 257, but their five turnovers (three by Favre, all in FG range) was their undoing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe