PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL.com : Brady Greatest QB ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Elway, Marino and Unita's should be ahead of Manning.

You claim "selfishness" or some other intangible, unprovable element specific to Marino and Brady is the difference. I stand by the difference being the things that are tangible and obviously heavily in favor of Brady--surrounding personnel, particularly on defense, and coaching. I know you wont be convinced.
Marino- like Manning was obsessed with his stats. That is a fact.

To be clear, this isn't NFL.com ranking Brady #1. It's a columnist on NFL.com's rankings. The NFL Network is going to show the top 10 QBs in a show and I fully anticipate the NFL will do some ********.

I wouldn't be surprised if they left him off the top 10 and did a special 2-hour special on how he might have qualified except for the asterisks blah blah blah.

Good to see Otto Graham on the list. Granted I never saw him play, but he won 3 NFL Championships, 3 time player of the year, and was a key part of a Cleveland (???) dynasty. Winning in Cleveland deserves bonus points. That's like 5 championships anywhere else.

To be clear, this isn't NFL.com ranking Brady #1. It's a columnist on NFL.com's rankings. The NFL Network is going to show the top 10 QBs in a show and I fully anticipate the NFL will do some ********.

I think it's obvious the NFL will find some way to mention Spygate and Deflategate as some kind of blemish on Brady's record. It's unfortunate Brady has had to play during the age of social media and the 24-hr news cycle. All the other great QBs weren't subjected to this kinda of scrutiny. God only knows what kinda controversies might've unfolded if the internet was around in the 70s or 80s.

I tell ya, that Jacksonville v Tennessee Thursday night game next weeks gonna get BIG LEAGUE ratings

It'll be Yuuuge!

But sadly, I need to clean the lint off of all of my mouse pads, and I was planning to do that Thursday night, so I'll have to miss it.

OK, full disclosure, I am still so traumatized after watching the Rats-Cardinals game that I am still unable to be within 10 feet of a television.

I believe Elway, Marino and Unita's should be ahead of Manning.

I listed the 6 that should be the unquestioned best on anyone's list. After them, I'd put Staubach at 7 and Young at 8. To me, it starts to get pretty fungible at 9.

Reporters and columnists do not always write exactly what their CEOs would most like to see. The same goes for broadcast media.

"News" organizations that are exceptions to this generalization have huge difficulties hiring and retaining top talent. The most relevant example to us may be Mike Reiss. The most visible example overall might be Fox News.
Thanks, I was thinking what this thread needs is hack political commentary.

I started watching in the 1970s.

My top QBs in that time with biggest negatives in parentheses:

1. Brady (running speed; Goodell)
2. Montana (one-and-dones; lost arm strength mid-30s)
3. Marino (running speed; bad temper; defense)
4. Manning (chokes under pressure; whines; untimely interceptions)
5. Brees (throws INTs in bunches when things go wrong)
6. Moon (absurd bias forced him to CFL; gets flustered easily)
7. Young (weak arm, even if accurate and smooth)
8. Staubach (throws a crappy ball)
9. Rodgers (short career, falling off cliff?)
10. Bradshaw (Flacco-esque jump-ball thrower)

Watching Joe Montana's highlights, (I was too young to remember how good he was) He does remind me of Brady when he throws.

The NFL network just ran the show of their top 10 QB's

1.) Joe Montana
2.) Tom Brady
3.) Peyton Manning

Those were the top 3.

Last edited:
Watching Joe Montana's highlights, (I was too young to remember how good he was) He does remind me of Brady when he throws.

The NFL network just ran the show of their top 10 QB's

1.) Joe Montana
2.) Tom Brady
3.) Peyton Manning

Those were the top 3.

Manning in the Top 3 is just laughable. SMH

Montanna in the salary cap era would have been another great QB. Give me a ****kking break.

Montanna**

Excuse me, Montana in the salary cap era without cheating......

Clickbait, except in reverse of what New England fans are used to.
  1. Trash the Patriots and Brady 24/7.
  2. Take a note from how sports talk radio works with contrived controversies.
  3. Praise the person who you have convinced the masses is evil.
  4. Watch the masses react, with #of views spinning like an electric meter in Florida in July.

Well....

If you are going without the intangibles you would have to add things like:

Don Shula is the all time winningest coach with a higher win % than BB.

Tom Brady went to SB 45 with the 2nd worst rated defense in the league that year.

I'll match your speculation with, "If you gave Don Shula Tom Brady he would have won two more Super Bowls"

Marino went to a SB too with a crappy defense ((giving up 537 yards in the super bowl). In addition to that and their similar styles of play, Marino and Brady have something else in common: they have never won a SB without at least a very good defense.

As for your speculation, Shula is a HOFer for what he did with the Colts back when players had jobs in the offseason. By the time Marino was in his prime, he was an older man who was routinely outcoached. In contrast, I can count on one hand the number of times BB has been outcoached.

Last edited:
Marino's problem was one that many QBs have. He had so much confidence in his ability that he would force the ball at times. He wasn't as careless as PEDton and BrINT Favre though.

I agree to an extent. He was probably overconfident at times, but It is a lot easier to be cautious when you know your defense might actually give you the ball back without giving up points. He didnt have that luxury during his prime years. Im not saying hes Brady. Im just saying the gap is not as wide as the difference in SBs would suggest.

Today, Brady showed where he ranks. He was the hero while others crumbled. He is calm when pressure is on.

Marino went to a SB too with a crappy defense ((giving up 537 yards in the super bowl). In addition to that and their similar styles of play, Marino and Brady have something else in common: they have never won a SB without at least a very good defense.

As for your speculation, Shula is a HOFer for what he did with the Colts back when players had jobs in the offseason. By the time Marino was in his prime, he was an older man who was routinely outcoached. In contrast, I can count on one hand the number of times BB has been outcoached.

Eh, the Carolina Super Bowl was an exhibition is sieve defense. Great for 28 minutes, but when you give up 29 points in 31 minutes, that's bad. Luckily Brady played out of his mind that day against a great D, one of the best performances ever.

I agree to an extent. He was probably overconfident at times, but It is a lot easier to be cautious when you know your defense might actually give you the ball back without giving up points. He didnt have that luxury during his prime years. Im not saying hes Brady. Im just saying the gap is not as wide as the difference in SBs would suggest.

What small gap there is can be attributed to Brady's huge football brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes