PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Appeal oral arguments thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe that a district court bought the NFL's bait with the cell phone. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING. Nothing to do with the evidence and nothing to do with the process!

Exactly. If one were to assume Brady was guilty, and cared so much about the phone... Then you'd also have to assume there'd be incriminating texts on there, specifically to the ball boys (who you'd have to assume were in on this)

But... they went through the ball boys' phones. There wasn't a single incriminating text message from Brady on there. So this idea that Brady destroyed his cell phone because there might have been something awfully incriminating on there makes zero sense.

So aside from that, what else are people assuming could've been on there?! Texts to a 3rd person involved that we have no idea about? Yeah right. Edelman? Belichick? Gisele? ... E-mails? We already heard about those... nothing!

The whole phone issue is a blatantly obvious red herring.

McCann discusses today's events. 13 minute video initial discussion then answers questions.

in short, he thinks Katzmann favors Brady, Parker favors NFL, Chin unsure but leaning towards NFL.

McCann doesnt understand why they went into cell phones so muchtoday. also talked about how little Berman's arguments were covered.

LOL I don't get it.

How can one say Chin and Parker favor the NFL when they went equally as hard against them?

In fact, in McCann's review, he states that Parker and Chin basically just grilled Kessler on the cell phone destruction, which #1: has nothing to do with Berman's decision and #2: is irrelevant, considering Wells was supplied with all phone logs, emails and texts that were pertinent.

So, okay, he destroyed his phone. Okay, to some it may look suspicious, but that has zero to do with overturning Berman's decision.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, most of these legal experts weren't expecting the judges to grill the NFLPA about the prior information in the case, so they were shocked it became apart of the appeal arguments and clearly are overreacting.

I don't see how Brady's chances look bad when the biggest question mark by those two judges revolve around information not part of Berman's ruling, to which is what they actually have to rule on. This is not about whether or not Brady was actually guilty, it's about process and procedure.

I'm going crazy with this stupidity. I honestly can't believe actual US Appeals Judges Are continuing the nonsense cell phone rhetoric.

Last edited:
B.S.

I'm not a lawyer and you know what I say to Chin? "Your Honor, I ask you to explain what evidence is so called "compelling if not overwhelming?". "I have numerous articles written by the giants of sports media, Peter King as one, who have recently lobbied for the Pats picks to be given back due to a serious lack of evidence?". "Yet you, for some unknown reason appear to know something the rest of the world doesn't".

To me that's a hostile statement from the bench that warrants a question to flesh out the foundation of that belief. Chin opened himself up for ridicule or embarrassment and it appears Kessler didn't take advantage.

Well, ridiculing or embarrassing the judge you're arguing in front of seldom achieves the desired results. Probably the best response would be, "I respectfully direct the court's attention to the record (page with Berman oral argument) which shows that when the lower court asked the NFL about their evidence of tampering they couldn't identify any."

LOL I don't get it.

How can one say Chin and Parker favor the NFL when they went equally as hard against them?

In fact, in McCann's review, he states that Parker and Chin basically just grilled Kessler on the cell phone destruction, which #1: has nothing to do with Berman's decision and #2: is irrelevant, considering Wells was supplied with all phone logs, emails and texts that were pertinent.

So, okay, he destroyed his phone. Okay, to some it may look suspicious, but that has zero to do with overturning Berman's decision.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, most of these legal experts weren't expecting the judges to grill the NFLPA about the prior information in the case, so they were shocked it became apart of the appeal arguments and clearly are overreacting.

I don't see how Brady's chances look bad when the biggest question mark by those two judges revolve around information not part of Berman's ruling, to which is what they actually have to rule on. This is not about whether or not Brady was actually guilty, it's about process and procedure.

I'm going crazy with this stupidity. I honestly can't believe actual US Appeals Judges Are continuing the nonsense cell phone rhetoric.

Or a cynical person may wonder if Chin and Parker are in the tank for Clement. He's a potential SCOTUS justice nominee so he's . . . ahem . . . people who knows people.

Or a cynical person may wonder if Chin and Parker are in the tank for Clement. He's a potential SCOTUS justice nominee so he's . . . ahem . . . people who knows people.

If that's the case Clement would win every single appeal.

Well, ridiculing or embarrassing the judge you're arguing in front of seldom achieves the desired results. Probably the best response would be, "I respectfully direct the court's attention to the record (page with Berman oral argument) which shows that when the lower court asked the NFL about their evidence of tampering they couldn't identify any."

That's fine. You have to do something. He did nothing, correct? That's criminal.

Considering Trump is likely to be the next POTUS, and he unequivocally backs Brady, Kraft, and the Pats... If I'm a federal judge I'm thinking that ruling against Brady could be a career-limiting move.
Can't win with the white male vote only and the next SCOTUS justice will be liberal, which I don't think Clement is.

Well I don't like what I am reading and can say that if Brady does have to serve a 4 game suspension our chances of winning the SB next year are drastically reduced
Why? Will Brady be out in December?

McCann discusses today's events. 13 minute video initial discussion then answers questions.

in short, he thinks Katzmann favors Brady, Parker favors NFL, Chin unsure but leaning towards NFL.

McCann doesnt understand why they went into cell phones so muchtoday. also talked about how little Berman's arguments were covered.

This can be stopped. If Brady does an anti-defamation suit on the NFL which they would fear. They lose those. Brady says he sues and that is it.
DW Toys

Considering Trump is likely to be the next POTUS, and he unequivocally backs Brady, Kraft, and the Pats... If I'm a federal judge I'm thinking that ruling against Brady could be a career-limiting move.

lol.
awesome post.

Today's questions didn't seem to be to gather information. They seemed to have made up their minds.

They were either:

1) the judges were talking to each other (trying to sway opinion)
2) the judges knew they were going to be scrutinized more than any other case they've been on and wanted to hit both sides hard so nobody could guess which way they're going to go.
3) they made up their minds already and want to signal how they are going to rule

People seem to be choosing option 3. Option 1 or 2 may not be any better, but they seem more likely than option 3. At least to me.

Can't win with the white male vote only and the next SCOTUS justice will be liberal, which I don't think Clement is.
May not get confirmed as a liberal if the Republicans keep control of the Senate.

What we have learned today is what is wrong with people in general as regards gathering information given by the media. Now, this is something that a lot of haters have been called out on regarding this subject almost daily by pats fans in the main. That is take a headline and not read the article. The sound bites today are no different from headline grabbing click whores in the media to gain attention and nearly everyone is falling for it. Remember what gives these media idiots more clicks.. More damning news against Brady.

Wait for the transcripts, and even then.. wait for the result or your likely going to send yourself to an early grave.

What we have learned today is what is wrong with people in general as regards gathering information given by the media. Now, this is something that a lot of haters have been called out on regarding this subject almost daily by pats fans in the main. That is take a headline and not read the article. The sound bites today are no different from headline grabbing click whores in the media to gain attention and nearly everyone is falling for it. Remember what gives these media idiots more clicks.. More damning news against Brady.

Wait for the transcripts, and even then.. wait for the result or your likely going to send yourself to an early grave.

I dont understand this homerism

Bro, they were doing the exact same thing in favor of Brady after the first Brady appeal.... Is it a done deal that Brady is going to lose? certainly not, but let's not pretend there is a bias here.

Right now, we don't know the results. But it doesn't look good on paper. They all said it was very favorable to Brady the first time around, so forgive me for believing they have a clue

Can anyone please put this in plain English for me? Do the lawyers talk to the judges again? Do the judges now just go over the entire case and rule? Do the judges discuss things together or work separately on the whole thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes