PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL All-Decade Team, 2010-19: Brady vs. Rodgers as first team QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that for all the talk about how amazing Rodgers is at avoiding interceptions Brady is awfully close:

Touchdowns/Interceptions: 231 TD, 53 INT (4.36 ratio) Brady
Touchdowns/Interceptions: 238/51 (4.67 ratio) Rodgers
Those 2 more ints are in 485 more passes also, and against over 2700 more yards.
I haven't looked it up, but as far as the TDs, I'd be willing to bet Bradys team had a lot more rushing TDs, therefore more points, whether you throw it in or run it in.
Brady's numbers are actually superior. Before we even start discussing 13 more wins in 7 years....

I would guess that no player had ever been on the all-decade team for his position in two different decades, right (Unless maybe a kicker?)??
Its possible. John Hannah comes to mind as a possibility. Jerry Rice also.

I think otherwise, and I'm not biased against Rodgers. Based upon stats and records, Russell Wilson clearly belongs in the conversation.

A better argument exists for Wilson to be in there than Brees, Rothlisberger, Ryan, etc, and there is a chance that the argument becomes stronger by 2019-2020. As of right now, though, I just don't think Wilson has carried a team the way Brady and Rodgers have. Or another way of looking at it is that he should have at least one Super Bowl playing with that defense for all of these years. I think he needs to win another ring before he gets serious consideration for this type of recognition.

I would guess that no player had ever been on the all-decade team for his position in two different decades, right (Unless maybe a kicker?)??

Offense and defense repeaters

Rice (80's, 90's)
Hannah (70's, 80's)
Roaf (90's, 00's)
Allen (90's, 00's)
Webster (70's, 80's)
White (80's, 90's)
B. Smith (80's, 90's)
Sapp (90's, 00's)
Lilly (60's, 70's)
Olsen (60's, 70's)
Lambert (70's, 80's)
Hendricks (70's, 80's)
Butkus (60's, 70's)
Lott (80's, 90's)
L. Wilson (60's, 70's)

NFL's All-Decade Teams | Pro Football Hall of Fame Official Site

Apologies if I missed any.

A better argument exists for Wilson to be in there than Brees, Rothlisberger, Ryan, etc, and there is a chance that the argument becomes stronger by 2019-2020. As of right now, though, I just don't think Wilson has carried a team the way Brady and Rodgers have. Or another way of looking at it is that he should have at least one Super Bowl playing with that defense for all of these years. I think he needs to win another ring before he gets serious consideration for this type of recognition.

Your argument doesn't hold water, though, because of the need to apply it evenly. Using it would completely remove Rodgers from the conversation, as his teams have clearly underperformed in this decade. Applying your argument would lead to a top 3 of Brady, Manning and Wilson.

Offense and defense repeaters

Rice (80's, 90's)
Hannah (70's, 80's)
Roaf (90's, 00's)
Allen (90's, 00's)
Webster (70's, 80's)
White (80's, 90's)
B. Smith (80's, 90's)
Sapp (90's, 00's)
Lilly (60's, 70's)
Olsen (60's, 70's)
Lambert (70's, 80's)
Hendricks (70's, 80's)
Butkus (60's, 70's)

Lott (80's, 90's)
L. Wilson (60's, 70's)

NFL's All-Decade Teams | Pro Football Hall of Fame Official Site

Apologies if I missed any.

The bolded ones were 1st team selections in both decades. the others were 2nd team in one or both. Maybe I didn't mess up- I looked through the lists pretty quickly.

For the 60s they didn't specify first team vs. second team so I counted all of them listed as 1st team.

The bolded ones were 1st team selections in both decades. the others were 2nd team in one or both. Maybe I didn't mess up- I looked through the lists pretty quickly.

For the 60s they didn't specify first team vs. second team so I counted all of them listed as 1st team.
Interesting that the list is made up of:

1 WR
4 OL
5 DL
3 LB
2 DB

0 QB, RB, TE

I expect that it's happened. Lots of players' careers crossed over two decades...

I think Brady became great in 2003/2004. There was no doubt in my mind in 2005 even though they loss to Denver, I saw Brady become Brady. His form and his accuracy was amazing to watch in 2005 then he just kept getting better. While the team around him seemingly got old.

Is it just my imagination now or do the Patriots move on from more guys now after there rookie deal? Or even before it? How many higher paid players do they extend beyond there rookie deal?

For some reason I felt the Pats from 2000-2009 kept players around for longer. But I could be completely wrong. And its definitely not worth researching.

i honestly don't give a doo doo. all i want is the next ring. i think we can win 1 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back