PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL All-Decade Team, 2010-19: Brady vs. Rodgers as first team QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In case there is any question about the criteria, here is the description of the 2000s team as stated by Wikipedia: The NFL 2000s All-Decade Team is composed of outstanding performers in the National Football League in the ten years spanning 20002009. Only a player or coach's performance in the 2000s is used as criteria for voting.

Clearly this race is between Brady and Rodgers right now, and if you think otherwise, you must be biased against Rodgers. When it comes to being incredibly productive without turning the ball over, there simply is no logical argument for guys like Brees or Roethlisberger. I have been curious for awhile how Brady stats stack up to Rodgers after Brady became not just a great quarterback, but a statistically great quarterback as well in 2007. Part of that has to do with the rules changes implemented by Bill Polian, and part of it is because Rodgers had three seasons to learn his role before starting, so in many ways his stats begin when he was ready and prepared.

For now, though, I'll cut it off at only 2010, since that is the diving point for the All-Decade Team. Based on Brady's inclusion to the 2000s team, I am guessing that postseason accolades count for a lot, since he beat out Manning, who at that time in his career had a hefty lead in categories like passer rating, pro bowls, MVPs, etc. IMO, the voters also take into account the Belichick/McCarthy mismatch and hopefully none of the BS from the witch hunt. Rodgers, I think, is definitely a much worthy competitor to Brady than Manning was, as you can see based on his low interception percentage and statistical advantage from the traditional passer rating formula, but Brady still has a big edge if postseason accomplishments are weighted heavily.

Tom Brady 2010-16 (Regular Season)
Wins/Losses: 86-22 (.796)
Completions/Attempts/Yards: 2572/4006 (64.2%), 30,738 yards (7.67 YPA)
Touchdowns/Interceptions: 231 TD, 53 INT (4.36 ratio)
Passer Rating: 101.3
Accolades/Postseason Resume:
  • NFL MVP (2010)
  • First Team All-Pro (2010), Second Team All-Pro (2016)
  • 7x Pro Bowl (2010-16)
  • 11-5 Postseason Record
  • 3x AFC Champion (2011, 2014, 2016)
  • 2x Super Bowl Champion (2014, 2016)
  • 2x Super Bowl MVP (2014, 2016)

Aaron Rodgers, 2010-16 (Regular Season)
Wins/Losses: 73-30 (.709)
Completions/Attempts: 2308/3521 (65.5%), 28,026 yards (7.96 YPA)
Touchdowns/Interceptions: 238 TD, 51 INT (4.67 ratio)
Passer Rating: 106.7
  • 2X NFL MVP (2011, 2014)
  • 2X First Team All-Pro (2011, 2014), Second Team All-Pro (2012)
  • 5X Pro Bowl (2011-12, 2014-16)
  • 9-6 Postseason Record
  • NFC Champion (2010)
  • Super Bowl Champion (2010)
  • Super Bowl MVP (2010)

Last edited:
In case there is any question about the criteria, here is the description of the 2000s team as stated by Wikipedia: The NFL 2000s All-Decade Team is composed of outstanding performers in the National Football League in the ten years spanning 20002009. Only a player or coach's performance in the 2000s is used as criteria for voting.

Clearly this race is between Brady and Rodgers right now, and if you think otherwise, you must be biased against Rodgers. When it comes to being incredibly productive without turning the ball over, there simply is no logical argument for guys like Brees or Roethlisberger. I have been curious for awhile how Brady stats stack up to Rodgers after Brady became not just a great quarterback, but a statistically great quarterback as well in 2007. Part of that has to do with the rules changes implemented by Bill Polian, and part of it is because Rodgers had three seasons to learn his role before starting, so in many ways his stats begin when he was ready and prepared.

For now, though, I'll cut it off at only 2010, since that is the diving point for the All-Decade Team. Based on Brady's inclusion to the 2000s team, I am guessing that postseason accolades count for a lot, since he beat out Manning, who at that time in his career had a hefty lead in categories like passer rating, pro bowls, MVPs, etc. IMO, the voters also take into account the Belichick/McCarthy mismatch and hopefully none of the BS from the witch hunt. Rodgers, I think, is definitely a much worthy competitor to Brady than Manning was, as you can see based on his low interception percentage and statistical advantage from the traditional passer rating formula, but Brady still has a big edge if postseason accomplishments are weighted heavily.

Tom Brady 2010-16 (Regular Season)
Wins/Losses: 86-22 (.796)
Completions/Attempts/Yards: 2572/4006 (64.2%), 30,738 yards (7.67 YPA)
Touchdowns/Interceptions: 231 TD, 53 INT (4.36 ratio)
Passer Rating: 101.3
  • NFL MVP (2010)
  • First Team All-Pro (2010), Second Team All-Pro (2016)
  • 7x Pro Bowl (2010-16)
  • 11-5 Postseason Record
  • 3x AFC Champion (2011, 2014, 2016)
  • 2x Super Bowl Champion (2014, 2016)
  • 2x Super Bowl MVP (2014, 2016)

Aaron Rodgers, 2010-16 (Regular Season)
Wins/Losses: 73-30 (.709)
Completions/Attempts: 2308/3521 (65.5%), 28,026 yards (7.96 YPA)
Touchdowns/Interceptions: 238/51 (4.67 ratio)
Passer Rating: 106.7
  • 2X NFL MVP (2011, 2014)
  • 2X First Team All-Pro (2011, 2014), Second Team All-Pro (2012)
  • 5X Pro Bowl (2011-12, 2014-16)
  • 9-6 Postseason Record
  • NFC Champion (2010)
  • Super Bowl Champion (2010)
  • Super Bowl MVP (2010)
I see where the post season stats aren't added. I think if they were the difference between Brady and Rodgers would be more evident. Just off the top, 9-6 is good. 11-5 is outstanding

BTW- None of the all pro, mvp crap is even worth noting since it is merely a subjective mediot driven process. In the end, there is no question that Rogers is the most talented QB in the league, but Brady is still the better one when you need to win a game.

Rodgers gets a slight edge in stats but Brady had more SBs and SB MVPs. On this alone TB should take it. But I think another difference maker should be Conference title game appearances.

Still a few years left in the decade so we will see.

2017 just started.

I don't know about comparisons, but I would definitely assert that Brady's prime started in 2010.

Gotta wait a few more years but some we already know.

Interesting that for all the talk about how amazing Rodgers is at avoiding interceptions Brady is awfully close:

Touchdowns/Interceptions: 231 TD, 53 INT (4.36 ratio) Brady
Touchdowns/Interceptions: 238/51 (4.67 ratio) Rodgers

Interesting that for all the talk about how amazing Rodgers is at avoiding interceptions Brady is awfully close:

Touchdowns/Interceptions: 231 TD, 53 INT (4.36 ratio) Brady
Touchdowns/Interceptions: 238/51 (4.67 ratio) Rodgers

That surprised me as well, and it's even better when you look deeper. Brady threw about 500 more passes over the span, so his interception percentage is actually lower than Rodgers since 2010. I wouldn't have guessed that.

Brady - 1.32% interception rate
Rodgers - 1.45% interception rate

If I had to make it now...

QB: Brady Rodgers Brees
WR: Jones Brown Green DT
TE: Gronk Graham
RB: Peterson McCoy Murray
OT: Thomas Whitworth
OG: Martin Yanda Lang
C: Fredrick

DE/Edge Rusher: Miller Houston Mack
DT: Watt Donald Atkins Suh
LB: Kuechly Johnson Bowman
CB Sherman Talib Peterson Norman
S: McCourty Thomas Smith Berry

That is my guess so far but we need more years to know for sure.

Wow, they have Edgerrin James as one of the two best RBs of the 2000s? That's nuts. So Pink Head played with a top 2 WR / Murderer and top 2 RB from the same decade. And still only won one Super Bowl during that time.

Remember when Peyton vs Brady was still an argument?

I don't know about comparisons, but I would definitely assert that Brady's prime started in 2010.

You know, that's an interesting discussion. Pretty funny to think someone's prime started three years after they broke the single-season passing TD record, but you could have a point!

You know, that's an interesting discussion. Pretty funny to think someone's prime started three years after they broke the single-season passing TD record, but you could have a point!

It's an entirely abstract concept we're discussing, but I do have this thought as well. I think there are strong arguments to be made that his prime started in either 2006 or 2010.

Those saying 2010 likely see 07 as a flash of things to come (nothing says potential like 50 TD) considering what happened the 2 years after. However, there's no denying what he did in 06-07, putting the team on his back when he had nobody to throw to then shattering records when he got receivers. The question is whether you would consider 08-09 as a dropoff, or just injury related (or both).

I think 2010 was the year he started trying even harder than before to improve physically every single year. It was the year he decided he didn't care how old he was. Maybe that's not what "prime" means, but it does seem like a real turning point in his career.

Hmmmm.

I think I'd start with 2007. 08 he was hurt and 09 he was just getting back into the swing of things with a very flawed team

2017 just started.

Yeah, and Develin is signed. He's 6-0 in the playoffs with two Super Bowl rings. If Brady gets the nod at QB for the Patriots, Rodgers is toast.

Clearly this race is between Brady and Rodgers right now, and if you think otherwise, you must be biased against Rodgers.

I think otherwise, and I'm not biased against Rodgers. Based upon stats and records, Russell Wilson clearly belongs in the conversation.

I would guess that no player had ever been on the all-decade team for his position in two different decades, right (Unless maybe a kicker?)??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3