PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next year's schedule is brutal - has BB even looked at it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the Pats will get lucky, and everyone else in our division will also have to play the NFCN and AFCN, and thus will also have a tough schedule. :rolleyes:

of course....but that doesn't change the difficulty of the pats schedule.

the pats get the colts and chargers
the jets get the broncos and texans
the dolphins get the titans and raiders
the bills get the jags and chiefs

so the pats do have the hardest schedule

Betting odds and predictions are not the same thing. I am talking all the experts. Vegas sets the line based on where they expect the money to go not what they think will happen. So all you are stating is how they expect the betters to bet not where anyone expected them to finish off.

Here are the ESPN columnist predictions

NFL: For the 2009 season, many of our experts contend that Tom Brady is your MVP and the New England Patriots are your next Super Bowl champions. - ESPN

Note how many have Tennessee wininng the AFC South (forgot them), Atlanta going to the Super Bowl, Pittsburgh winning the North, Pittsburgh and Philly meeting up in the Super Bowl, etc.

Here is Peter King's predictions (he does it for SI)

SI's 2009 NFL Scouting Reports - NFL - SI.com

See him having Denver going 5-11, Chicago going to the Super Bowl, Patriots going 13-3 and winning the Super Bowl, Pittsburgh winning the South, etc. A lot of his predictions are the consensus among most of the preseason predictions by the media although some aren't.

Here are Whatifsports predictions for the playoff where they have the Pats losing to the Eagles in the Super Bowl. They have the Pats beating the Steelers in the conference championships with the Eagles beating the Cards. They also had Houston and the Giants making the playoffs

2009 NFL Predictions From WhatIfSports.com

Again, you are acting as if a 1-2 game difference is a vast chasm. It's not. As I've noted, time and again, and these 'predictions'/lines reinforce, teams generally fall pretty close to where they are picked to fall. Those that don't usually either have a major injury issue or found a difference maker in the draft.

Division winners as predicted in AFC:
NE/Indy/S.D.

Division winner failure of prediction:
Steelers - Polamalu goes down and misses much of the season

Consensus wild card in AFC:
Baltimore

That leaves one playoff spot in the AFC that was not either predicted by the experts, or aided by a major injury issue (Steelers w/o Polamalu open door for Bengals). That's the Jets. The Jets got in because the Colts laid down in week 15.

Now to the NFC....

The winners were much more varied. The biggest loser was the Giants, and we've both put them down as a legitimate disappointment. You had mentioned Carolina earlier.... Not one vote to win their division, and only a couple of votes for a wild card.

We talked about Atlanta. The Eagles were looked at as a wild card winner. The Vikings and Packers were both looked at for their division. The Cardinals and Seahawks (another agreed disappointment) were looked at for their division. Dallas ranged from winning the division to missing the playoffs because of the Giants/Eagles in division.

In other words, once again, the teams were what you'd have expected, give or take, with the few exceptions I've noted (Giants/Bengals/Seahawks). This is even backed up by the predictions you put forth as evidence of your side.

Last edited:
of course....but that doesn't change the difficulty of the pats schedule.

the pats get the colts and chargers
the jets get the broncos and texans
the dolphins get the titans and raiders
the bills get the jags and chiefs

so the pats do have the hardest schedule
Maybe. Will the Colts suffer from the recent "Super Bowl Loser curse", or can they continue winning? (Remember how that curse bit NE in 2008, in the first game.) Do the Chargers' many RFAs get pissed because they weren't UFAs and the team let LT go? Does McDaniels' second year resolve the problems they had late in the year and keep the good things that happened the first half? Do the Titans regain the form they had just two years ago (and at the end of last season)?

Even if the Pats do end up having the hardest schedule... they won their division and "had the hardest schedule" most of this past decade, and somehow did Ok. It's only a two game difference, and you are acting as if those two games are automatic losses for NE and automatic wins for NYJ/MIA.

Last edited:
Maybe. Will the Colts suffer from the recent "Super Bowl Loser curse", or can they continue winning? (Remember how that curse bit NE in 2008, in the first game.) Do the Chargers' many RFAs get pissed because they weren't UFAs and the team let LT go? Does McDaniels' second year resolve the problems they had late in the year and keep the good things that happened the first half? Do the Titans regain the form they had just two years ago (and at the end of last season)?

Even if the Pats do end up having the hardest schedule... they won their division and "had the hardest schedule" most of this past decade, and somehow did Ok. It's only a two game difference, and you are acting as if those two games are automatic losses for NE and automatic wins for NYJ/MIA.

I guess it is possible for everything to go wrong for everyone else, but go right for the pats.

the pats went 10-6 with a really easy schedule last year

Looking at this schedule I can see us having any record between 9-7 and 14-2. This kind of exercise is pointless in March.

Exactly. I don't get why people keep doing the same dumb crap every year, when every year it's once again affirmed how dumb that crap is. You may think that you know who will be good and who won't be next year, but at least one or two of the good teams that the Pats play will suck by the time the Pats play them, and probably 1 or 2 of the crappy ones will suddenly be good, and everything in between. This time last year, were you thinking that the Pats would lose to the Broncos and Texans?

I guess it is possible for everything to go wrong for everyone else, but go right for the pats.
Apparently your definition of "go right" for everyone else involves them being just as good as last year. Except, it seems if you apply that same thinking to the Pats, it leads one to believe the Pats will win the division again. Which of course you can't accept.

the pats went 10-6 with a really easy schedule last year
I haven't seen the stats on last year's schedule, but I suspect very few rational people call playing both eventual SB participants in the same season "a really easy schedule". :rolleyes:

And the Jets and Dolphins both did even worse against what under your standards must be called "even easier schedules" last year.

I love that assuming the worst somehow makes you a realist. The best comeback when someone makes a point you can't counter is, "I guess you don't watch enough NFL". BS.

The Pats are literally rebuilding the D on the fly and still contending, how many other teams could do that?? Only one that I know of has been able to change over their roster while still contending and thats the Colts. That's it, that's the list, Pats and Colts.

AND if the NFL is SO predictable why don't you slap down some cash in Vegas and make some money off of your VAST knowledge of the NFL. I mean the rest of us clearly don't get it so please enlighten us. Please tell us what our futures hold.

If football was so easy to predict, Vegas wouldn't gamble on it.

No matter how good a team looks on paper, how they perform makes all the difference. The Redskins always appear to have a stellar team based entirely on their roster on paper, but it rarely turns out to be that.

...unless Belichick is making this into a 2-3 year project and conceding next year...

:wha: Concede?

I think he needs to look at the 2010 schedule.
And abandon his one-game-at-a-time philosophy that he drills into his players? :nooo:

I am not trying to troll or be a pain, but reality is realty. Next year's schedule is brutal.
Well, your not quite a pain or troll, but how logical are you being if you consider the following facts:

1) Every team in the NFL attempts to improve
2) Some teams will have worse records

So unless you KNOW which teams have or have not improved -- how can the Pats schedule be "brutal"?

My gut feeling is BB is trying to restore this team to greatness but realizes it won't happen until 2012 or so.
If you want to enjoy life, my advice would be to ignore your gut on personal matters of importance. :ugh: ;)

Who even looks at the schedule now and predicts wins and losses.

id guess about 95% of fans....ive done it since iwas able to read

heh...I'm not the OP, so I don't really care

the bottom-line is your opinion, so it really isn't a bottm-line at all

if you can't ascertain that the 2010 is more difficult than the 2009 schedule at this point, maybe you don't follow the NFL closely enough

Everything is simply black and white to you, isn't it?

It's March 12th and rosters are 25-50% set at this point. NOBODY has any real idea.

However, for some reason you are writing absolutes about how good each team is going to be.

Got news for ya. That's like eating chicken broth with a fork. Sorry if most people are not taking that seriously.

BB had an insightful interview with someone last year (perhaps it was Mike Mayock) where he stated that there are 3-4 teams that you know will be good, 5-6 teams that you know will be awful and about 20 teams that no one has any clue as to how they will do on day one of the season. Of course, you should replace that clueless Belichick fellow.

But keep on making absolute statements about NFL teams' 2010 seasons on March 12th while telling those who say that's a ridiculous exercise that they simply don't know as much as you do about it.

It's good entertainment.

Last edited:
Exactly. I don't get why people keep doing the same dumb crap every year, when every year it's once again affirmed how dumb that crap is. You may think that you know who will be good and who won't be next year, but at least one or two of the good teams that the Pats play will suck by the time the Pats play them, and probably 1 or 2 of the crappy ones will suddenly be good, and everything in between. This time last year, were you thinking that the Pats would lose to the Broncos and Texans?

Amen

It's silly (but fun) to do on September 1st.

It's indescribably useless (but fun) to do it on March 12th.

I find people who lock in their opinions on March 12th .....ummm......"fascinating".

Everything is simply black and white to you, isn't it?

It's March 12th and rosters are 25-50% set at this point. NOBODY has any real idea.

However, for some reason you are writing absolutes about how good each team is going to be.

Got news for ya. That's like eating chicken broth with a fork. Sorry if most people are not taking that seriously.

BB had an insightful interview with someone last year (perhaps it was Mike Mayock) where he stated that there are 3-4 teams that you know will be good, 5-6 teams that you know will be awful and about 20 teams that no one has any clue as to how they will do on day one of the season. Of course, you should replace that clueless Belichick fellow.

But keep on making absolute statements about NFL teams' 2010 seasons on March 12th while telling those who say that's a ridiculous exercise that they simply don't know as much as you do about it.

It's good entertainment.

maybe for you it is, but you should learn to not speak for others and just speak for yourself....its just as unbecoming as anything else anyone does around here

you are strange....being entertained by things that don't happen.....not sure what you mean by absolute statements if you are referring to my expectation that this season's schedule is harder than last season's........its really not any kind of stretch......but I understand the need for some to not acknowledge the possibility because it undermines your binky

Last edited:
Question:
Next year's schedule is brutal - has BB even looked at it?

Answer:

No. I read that as BB's strategy is 'one game at a time' that he just has an assistant email him the opponent 10 days in advance - and if it is an away game - what the weather forecast is so Bill can pack the appropriate clothes to match the expected weather conditions. :p

Based on what has or has not been done this offseason so far, unless Belichick is making this into a 2-3 year project and conceding next year, I think he needs to look at the 2010 schedule.

Home: Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Indianapolis Colts, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings

Away: Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, San Diego Chargers, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions

I can see the patriots losing to the Ravens, Colts, Packers, Vikings, Steelers, Chargers and splitting with the Jets and Dolphins. That means an 8-8 season.

My gut feeling is BB is trying to restore this team to greatness but realizes it won't happen until 2012 or so. This is why the pats are refusing to throw money at old guys like Peppers and Boldin.

Thoughts?

There are two separate issues here.

One is next year's schedule. Yeah, it looks tough on paper based on how most of those teams did this season and a couple of moves they have made in the offseason. But, we really don't know how it's going to play out next year, especially as the season wears on. Who knows how the Big Ben nonsense will affect the Steelers? Which Brett Favre, if any, will show up for the Vikings? The Packers? A good team that's coming together no doubt, but a conceded L half a year before the season begins? Come on! The Chargers are unbeatable one week and awful the next, and have been for years. The Ravens will always be tough but we bring a lot of motivation to the game after not showing up in the Playoffs. Saying we split with the Jets and Dolphins might not be bad predicting, but six months out seems defeatist to me. As for the W's of which you seem confident, how can you know how the Bears will look when we play them, just as an example.

Two is "rebuilding" or whatever you would call it. Remember, Belichick works for the Patriots; the Krafts' stated objective is to field a team that is competitive for the Playoffs every season. Giving up on a season is not consistent with that goal and I don't think it's something that Belichick or the ownership would plan.

Bottom line? Chill. Let things play themselves out over the next few months.

Last edited:
There are two separate issues here.

One is next year's schedule. Yeah, it looks tough on paper based on how most of those teams did this season and a couple of moves they have made in the offseason. But, we really don't know how it's going to play out next year, especially as the season wears on. Who knows how the Big Ben nonsense will affect the Steelers? Which Brett Favre, if any, will show up for the Vikings? The Packers? A good team that's coming together no doubt, but a conceded L half a year before the season begins? Come on! The Chargers are unbeatable one week and awful the next, and have been for years. The Ravens will always be tough but we bring a lot of motivation to the game after not showing up in the Playoffs. Saying we split with the Jets and Dolphins might not be bad predicting, but six months out seems defeatist to me. As for the W's of which you seem confident, how can you know how the Bears will look when we play them, just as an example.

Two is "rebuilding" or whatever you would call it. Remember, Belichick works for the Patriots; the Krafts' stated objective is to field a team that is competitive for the Playoffs every season. Giving up on a season is not consistent with that goal and I don't think it's something that Belichick or the ownership would plan.

Bottom line? Chill. Let things play themselves out over the next few months.

yes......wishful thinking is what gets you through the day

yes......wishful thinking is what gets you through the day

I said it's a "tough schedule" but that it's way too early to bet how tough; certainly to start projecting a record. I called 2009 as an 11 win season in Andy's thread before the opening game last September, when most were predicting 13--15 wins.

If I look at this team and its schedule in August, after Training Camp and the Preseason, and I think it's an 8--8 team, I'll say so. But I'll wait and see how things play out over the next few months.

If that's "wishful thinking," then, fine, call it whatever you want. I really don't care.

I said it's a "tough schedule" but that it's way too early to bet how tough; certainly to start projecting a record. I called 2009 as an 11 win season in Andy's thread before the opening game last September, when most were predicting 13--15 wins.

If I look at this team and its schedule in August, after Training Camp and the Preseason, and I think it's an 8--8 team, I'll say so. But I'll wait and see how things play out over the next few months.

If that's "wishful thinking," then, fine, call it whatever you want. I really don't care.

do you think the 2010 schedule is tougher than 2009?

I never said anything about number of wins......

saying next year's schedule is tougher is just as valid as saying that signing bodden was a good thing.....are we supposed to be objective, or are we just supposed to think of beautiful places?

do you think the 2010 schedule is tougher than 2009?

I never said anything about number of wins......

saying next year's schedule is tougher is just as valid as saying that signing bodden was a good thing.....are we supposed to be objective, or are we just supposed to think of beautiful places?

It -probably- will be, but it is not definitively. It's really not a hard concept, but please spend another 300 pages to tell everyone how objective you are.

It -probably- will be, but it is not definitively. It's really not a hard concept, but please spend another 300 pages to tell everyone how objective you are.

I am objective.....it is you who has no grasp of the concept

is this what you call objective????

The odds are OVERWHELMINGLY in favor of the team being closer to 12-4 than 8-8. The only people debating that are the whiners. And I really don't care if you use this opportunity to call me a homer. There are 32 teams who do NOT have a set roster in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back