PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next up: The San Diego Superfrauds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luis Glasstilo is going to be replaced by our starting DE from last year Jacques cesaire. So it's not like some scrub is coming in. Nobody?? Bob Sanders and eric Weddle aren't nobodies.... I'm not saying they won't get some yards or nice plays. I will say that there will be times where they are targeted because of what the chargers show and Brady will recognize the wrong thing and be forced to throw it away or take the sack due to the coverage. Much more so than in the dolphins game. That's why Brady and Manning typically don't have their monster games against the Chargers with the 1st game in 07 being the exception rather than the rule.

A good sneeze will put Bob Sanders out for the season, nevermind trying to tackle a 6'7" monster of a TE coming at him full bore.

Luis Glasstilo is going to be replaced by our starting DE from last year Jacques cesaire. So it's not like some scrub is coming in. Nobody?? Bob Sanders and eric Weddle aren't nobodies.... I'm not saying they won't get some yards or nice plays. I will say that there will be times where they are targeted because of what the chargers show and Brady will recognize the wrong thing and be forced to throw it away or take the sack due to the coverage. Much more so than in the dolphins game. That's why Brady and Manning typically don't have their monster games against the Chargers with the 1st game in 07 being the exception rather than the rule.

1.) I'm sure Robaire will play at HOF level. That seems to be where you're going with all your posts. Every Charger is a HOF player. Every Patriot is lucky to be in the NFL.

2.) Neither Sanders nor Weddle can cover the Patriots TEs

3.) Brady's last 2 regular season games against the Chargers include a 38-14 pasting of said Chargers, along with the 23-20 win where the Patriots had a 20-3 lead heading into the 4th.

Last edited:
I hope the Patriots do not take the Chargers lightly. They are great team who didn't look sharp last week. I'm sure they'll be ready to go hoping to have a better showing. Patriots better be ready for them.

Your kidding me right? Top 7? I could put Manning and Brady ahead of Rivers. Brees and Rodgers are arguable... then NOONE else. At worst Rivers is 5. Who else would you put ahead. As far as staring down receivers??? Your talking about the same guy that hit 17 different receivers last year while passing for 4700 yards and 11 touchdowns to different receivers. I'm pretty sure Rivers goes through his progressions as good as anyone...

Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers are unquestionably better than Rivers. But at this point in his career he's just a stat hog that can't deliver under pressure. Many would rate Roethlisberger ahead of him for that reason. Plus he throws like a girl.

Maybe my opinion is being skewed by the halo effect of watching the Vikings game - where he threw two picks - but he does seem to lock on at times. I think that's his biggest weakness, and could explain the low number of TD's he throws (historically) in comparison to the amount of yards he picks up.

Again, he's a good QB - just not even remotely close to TFB.

Is it really even worth mentioning the game in 07?

Yes, because it's a direct response to an argument you were making.

Last years game is more indicative of how brady might do and I'm not just saying that because the chargers outplayed the pats.

No, you hope last year's game is more indicative. You're asserting a personal hope as if it's factual. And I agree that you're not saying that because the Chargers outplayed the Pats, because the Patriots beat the Chargers. You're saying it because you're posting like an insane homer (we've got plenty of them here), and it's all part of the persona. I'm not saying that Brady won't struggle against the Chargers, because we just don't know. I'm saying that you're taking weakly supported opinions and claiming that they are unassailable facts.

Sure the pats won but Brady didn't have a good game... I believe he passed for under 200 yards and the Chargers virtually gave them the game. Still no excuses the pats won by 3... given 4 turnovers and a missed FG.... just saying.

The Patriots were still struggling to find their identity after trading Moss following week 4. They struggled against the Ravens before the Chargers, beat the imploding Vikings, and then loss to the Browns before turning things around and becoming a dominant offense.

Last edited:
Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers are unquestionably better than Rivers. But at this point in his career he's just a stat hog that can't deliver under pressure. Many would rate Roethlisberger ahead of him for that reason. Plus he throws like a girl.

Maybe my opinion is being skewed by the halo effect of watching the Vikings game - where he threw two picks - but he does seem to lock on at times. I think that's his biggest weakness, and could explain the low number of TD's he throws (historically) in comparison to the amount of yards he picks up.

Again, he's a good QB - just not even remotely close to TFB.

I would say Manning and Brady are the only ones unquestionably better. You can make an argument for Brees and Rodgers.

I gotta say that I see the Chargers taking this game. I don't see the patriots generating the pressure to get Rivers off his game. Meanwhile, I do see the Chargers being able to create all kinds of pressure and disguising their defenses well. It's tough to really call though because each game has been different. It could be the pats blowing out the Chargers or the Chargers blowing out the Pats. I consider that had their not been 4 ridiculous turnovers last year the game would not have been close. The other game that was a blowout was because Tom Brady didn't play. Still, I'm not going to say the Chargers offense is just better than the Patriots because both are great offenses. I do feel like the Chargers offense matchup to the pats defense alot better than the Pats offense matches up to the Chargers defense.

The Pats patchwork oline vs. the Chargers front seven may be the biggest mismatch in the game. I don't see brady having the time the dolphins gave him to go down field. Takeo Spikes had 11 tackles last week and the Chargers # 1 defense held AP to less than 100 yards and McNabb to 39 yards passing. You can argue that Mcnabb is over the hill but you can't argue that AP is done... The Chargers defense is legit and possibly better than ever. This game will truly be the test for this defense. All of the new editions are panning out so far. Rookie DE Corey Liuget has been dominating since the preseason and dominated against the vikings. Takeo Spikes played exceptionally well and exceeded expectations. Bob Sanders played well also.

Even though Rivers passed for 335 yards the offense didn't really click like it could have. Rivers missed several key throws that I don't expect him to miss this week. Also even though the Chargers gave up a kick return I feel like overall the special teams coverage is much much better.

In the end I see this as the game that puts the Chargers back on the map as an Elite team in the AFC. Had the game been later in the season with the pats young secondary having more experience and their defense as a whole playing together longer I would think differently. As things stand now I think the Chargers take this game by 7-13 points.

How is the Pats' line patchwork? Assuming Vollmer is back at RT, 4 of the 5 starters will be starters from last year (at 3/5 of the same positions). As far as line continuity goes, that's pretty good.

McNabb isn't a particularly good QB, and Peterson got 98 yards on 16 carries (6.8 YPC). Holding him to "under 100" is an inconsequential technicality. Personally, I think the Dolphins' front 7 is as good as the Chargers', so that doesn't worry me. What does worry me is the depth at CB that the Chargers have.

I think the Chargers will put up points on us simply because the Pats are vulnerable to good TEs and Vincent Jackson is a matchup problem, but I don't see any way that the Chargers stop the Pats either. They have no answer for Welker or Hernandez.

I think it'll be a close game, but I watched the Chargers/Vikings last weekend, and I didn't see anything that made me think that they'll fly across the country and come beat the Pats in Foxboro.

I'm not worried. The Chargers have nobody who is anywhere near the pass rusher than Wake is. That helps a lot.

Low number of TD's? he's thrown at least 28 tds the last 3 years... in comparison to his 4000 yard seasons that's not low. Also hehad the highest YPA in the NFL with virtually no receivers. There hasn't been a more accurate QB down the field or in the middle of the field than rivers the last 3 seasons.
HE is SURELY close to Brady and may just win NFL MVP this season. You severely underestimate what Rivers can do especially with Gates Jackson and Floyd all together. Consider that those 3 guys were on the field together for all of ONE QUARTER last season. Also how are those QB's you mentioned unquestionably better? Just because they have won the bowl? Whose to say Rivers and the bolts won't win the bowl... this season. Sure I'm a homer and will never deny that. But that's just flat out wrong to say those guys are for surely unquestionably better than Rivers when Rivers has better numbers than all of them and performs in the clutch. He's one great playoff run away from being Unquestionably better than half those guys ha.

Stats are for losers. Winning is easier said than done. Those guys have comparable stats along with a track record of winning when it counts. Therefore, they are better.

And, Rivers stats aren't so dominant that they warrant Top 3 consideration on their own like Peyton's did before he won an SB. Hell, Schaub had better numbers than him in '09, is HE a better QB?

oh look!...JetFan1 has re-emerged as Superchargers Superchargers1...pesky Ray Ray 19....:D:D:D

Stats are for losers. Winning is easier said than done. Those guys have comparable stats along with a track record of winning when it counts. Therefore, they are better.

And, Rivers stats aren't so dominant that they warrant Top 3 consideration on their own like Peyton's did before he won an SB. Hell, Schaub had better numbers than him in '09, is HE a better QB?
Shall we compare Rivers and Mannings numbers in there first 5 years ?

You Have Two choices.

Retract your Statement about Manning or Acknowledge Rivers accomplishments. I'm not here to Troll but if i do see something that just doesn't make sense, well...

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this game, but honestly I wish it was in November for obvious reasons. When the Chargers are firing on all Cylinders they are a force to be reckoned with, so depending on which Chargers show up, there is a chance we can win this thing. You didn't see it coming in 2005, you may not see it coming in 2011, but if it does most Charger fans i expect will be nearly as surprised as Pats fans, it is game 2 afterall.

I'm not worried. The Chargers have nobody who is anywhere near the pass rusher than Wake is. That helps a lot.

It's quotes like these that make me feel confident about Sunday.

It's quotes like these that make me feel confident about Sunday.

Don't try telling me that you think the Chargers actually do have an elite pass rusher.

Don't try telling me that you think the Chargers actually do have an elite pass rusher.
Shaun Phillips is pretty good and Antwan Barnes gave Brady fits last year, 1st rd pk Luiget is playing above expectations and is quite disruptive. Garay is an absolute beast and has gotten sacks without even laying a hand on QB's by literally throwing defenders into the QB. You guys should be a big challenge for them however, No team prepares better than yours in my opinion.

Edelman is a punt return TD waiting to happen on these guys

If the Pats don't hit Rivers he WILL tear the secondary to pieces. When I think of San Diego though, I think, what part, what third of the team, has Norv ignored again?...so, special teams COULD be a major factor in a Pats win...just my humble two cents.

BTW, all this woofing and bragging by most of you Chargerettes seems rather hollow...look at the competition in your division year in and out...look at your playoff failures going back to Marty..and beyond...don't really see what you are attacking Pats fans for...we know our team pretty well and personally, I will let the last 11 years under BB speak for itself.

Good luck on Sunday...hope it
s a great game.

How? Weddle's very solid. He is always around the ball. Plus I think with Takeo Spikes and Sanders helping him out he just became that much better. Because in coverage he ALWAYS knows where to be. Spikes and Weddle are our defensive captains for a reason. Spikes just flat out loves football and plays like it. As far as weddle no he's not the best safety in the NFL but he's not bad by any means. I'm sure palomalu and Reed will make weddle's contract look like chump change in the new NFL.

I like Spikes, in spite of his age. While I think Weddle is one of the better safeties, I don't think he's elite. It'll be interesting to see if Sanders holds up.

If the Pats don't hit Rivers he WILL tear the secondary to pieces. When I think of San Diego though, I think, what part, what third of the team, has Norv ignored again?...so, special teams COULD be a major factor in a Pats win...just my humble two cents.

Good luck on Sunday...hope it
s a great game.
Kaeding is out for the season, we picked up Novak, not a very accurate kicker but he booms it out of the endzone. Kaeding didn't have the leg to do it. If you want to take advantage of our ST's, you will have to do it on Punts but Scifres puts it pretty high.

Fine, I won't tell you that Pro Bowler Shuan Phillips had only 11 sacks compared to Wake's 14.

But, I will tell it takes more than just one man to get pressure on a quarterback. It takes a whole defense from the secondary to the D-line. And this might surprise you, but the Chargers have a better secondary and D-line than Miami.

With a solid Defense, guys you've (you specifically) have never even heard of, like Antwan Barnes, end up sacking Tom Brady 3 times in one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back