PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Special teams coach - Jeremy Springer

Underwhelming. I want to like Mayo but I'm underwhelmed so far. Not sure what he could of done so far to make me feel better. I fully realize he has barely even got started and I am not holding up anything so far to any kind opinion moving forward but I wish he would do something to get us excited about him maybe his first free agent will get us pumped.

"The Rams were ranked dead last on special teams by DVOA last season, which obviously isn’t a good look."

We're getting the assistant to the worst ST coach in the league.

I'd say Mayo is going to be an excellent coach in this league. I'm not sure if that's going to be for the Patriots the way they're going.

Make fun of Joe Judge all you want, but he had the best STs in football for several years in a row. Call him a stooge or whatever, but when you're hiring the assistant to the worst, imagine it's possible how much more you have to fall from a guy who used to be best in the league.
What matters is that he is a NEW coach.

Wanting Judge out as ST coach being replaced by a ST coach from a terrible ST is what the fans want.

And, they will be very happy if Mayo chooses anyone but Josh, one of the very best OC's.

Underwhelming. I want to like Mayo but I'm underwhelmed so far. Not sure what he could of done so far to make me feel better. I fully realize he has barely even got started and I am not holding up anything so far to any kind opinion moving forward but I wish he would do something to get us excited about him maybe his first free agent will get us pumped.
Let's see who he hires for OC.

Official Site of the Los Angeles Rams

In 2019 under Springer, running back J.J. Taylor averaged 23.6 yards per kick return with 19 total returns for 448 yards. The year prior, Taylor averaged 24.5 yards per return with 22 total returns for 540 yards and one touchdown.
That was at Arizona?

Has to be... JJ was not in the league in 2019... we snagged him as an udfa in 2020

They were ranked between like 27-32nd in DVOA last 3 years.
how does one go about calculating a DVOA for special teams?

there are multiple facets, and only two can be relied upon to generate scoring on a consistent basis...

Cam Accord and Joe Judge join Matt Patrica and Josh McDaniels in the unemployment line.
Locks also changed at 1 Patriots place.
Struggling Locked Out GIF by VVS FILMS

We had 3 problems on ST's last year
1) Our top PR (one if the best in the league) was on IR.
2) The discipline was terrible.
3) Our kicker did not perform well.
===========
WE WILL BE BETTER
1) Our punter will be back
2) Mayo will insist on discipline being better
3) Competition will be brought in at kicker and we'll see, as with bringing competition for any poor performer.
4) The side issue is that the patriot ST strategy is unlikely to change. We will value special teams and attract top STers.

What matters is that he is a NEW coach.

Wanting Judge out as ST coach being replaced by a ST coach from a terrible ST is what the fans want.

And, they will be very happy if Mayo chooses anyone but Josh, one of the very best OC's.

Not true. Almost no one wants this.

That was at Arizona?

Has to be... JJ was not in the league in 2019... we snagged him as an udfa in 2020
Yeah was college

The only "comedy show" is posters here thinking they have adequate information to make a predictive analysis.
I agree. It's out of control.

So we picked up a guy who is probably wosrse than Achord?? I see the logic I can see it.
kind GIF
Seeing Cam Achord’s face just pissed me off. Terrible coach glad to see him go.

If this guy blows I’ll dislike him too, but whatever give it a shot.

My question is - were the LAR special teams struggles due to talent on the roster, or coaching? You could have great coaches but if the players suck, to a degree it is what it is. The Rams were very top-heavy contract wise.

The Patriots, conversely, specifically paid a premium for quality special teamers but still sucked. That's on coaching.

Anytime there's a mistake on Special teams, we get to look forward to the Negative Nancy Brigade making stupid Jerry Springer memes

Anytime there's a mistake on Special teams, we get to look forward to the Negative Nancy Brigade making stupid Jerry Springer memes

Eh, they were going to do that no matter who the coach is. "Peak" comedy around here is coming up with a really obvious derogatory nickname for someone and then using it in every single post as though it's the first time anyone's heard it. It's nauseating sometimes.

Last edited:
My question is - were the LAR special teams struggles due to talent on the roster, or coaching? You could have great coaches but if the players suck, to a degree it is what it is. The Rams were very top-heavy contract wise.

The Patriots, conversely, specifically paid a premium for quality special teamers but still sucked. That's on coaching.

If you look, at the individual numbers, the Rams had issues with FGs and Punt Coverage.

They had 11 Missed FGs between 2 different kickers. They had 5 missed Xtra Points as well.

The Rams Punt Coverage Unit wasn't very good.

They had 63 Punts that resulted in 7 punts going OOB, 5 kicks being downed, 7 touchbacks, 12 fair catches and 32 returns (2 for TDs), and a punt blocked. Those 32 Returns resulted in 503 return yards or 15.7 YPR.

It should be noted that Evans was doing double duty by having to do kick-offs as well. Don't know if that resulted in any leg fatigue for him or not.

To me, this says that it was player breakdown.

Hopefully, with the excellent core of STs the Pats have with Board, Elliss, Schooler, Cardona, and Baringer, and a better offense, the Pats won't punt 98 times in 2024..

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back