PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Special teams coach - Jeremy Springer

My question is - were the LAR special teams struggles due to talent on the roster, or coaching? You could have great coaches but if the players suck, to a degree it is what it is. The Rams were very top-heavy contract wise.

The Patriots, conversely, specifically paid a premium for quality special teamers but still sucked. That's on coaching.

And to add even another factor: The Patriots rankings on ST have varied wildly even with the same coaches. I think in 2021 they were near the top of the league with Cam Achord, then in 2022 and 2023 dropped off. Did Cam forget how to coach? Was 2021 a fluke, or were the players that much better? Did the struggles overall in 2023 affect buy in on special teams? It's really hard to answer those questions definitively, but it's more complicated than "coach good" or "coach bad".

"The Rams were ranked dead last on special teams by DVOA last season, which obviously isn’t a good look."

We're getting the assistant to the worst ST coach in the league.

I'd say Mayo is going to be an excellent coach in this league. I'm not sure if that's going to be for the Patriots the way they're going.

Make fun of Joe Judge all you want, but he had the best STs in football for several years in a row. Call him a stooge or whatever, but when you're hiring the assistant to the worst, imagine it's possible how much more you have to fall from a guy who used to be best in the league.

Judge wasn't out head ST coach the last two years.

Dunno about Springer, but very happy with a CHANGE from Achord. We need that side of the ball cleaned up.....so...a fresh voice in the ST room will help.

"The Rams were ranked dead last on special teams by DVOA last season, which obviously isn’t a good look."

We're getting the assistant to the worst ST coach in the league.

I'd say Mayo is going to be an excellent coach in this league. I'm not sure if that's going to be for the Patriots the way they're going.

Make fun of Joe Judge all you want, but he had the best STs in football for several years in a row. Call him a stooge or whatever, but when you're hiring the assistant to the worst, imagine it's possible how much more you have to fall from a guy who used to be best in the league.
No team is interested in bringing in Belichick's gimps, Judge, Patricia & McDaniels. Get over it.

My question is - were the LAR special teams struggles due to talent on the roster, or coaching? You could have great coaches but if the players suck, to a degree it is what it is. The Rams were very top-heavy contract wise.

The Patriots, conversely, specifically paid a premium for quality special teamers but still sucked. That's on coaching.
The Patriots couldn't kick a FG to save their lives. And Baringer really needed to learn the art of pinning teams inside their 10, but he was a rookie. I wonder how much of the Patriots ranking was that. Remember, Folk tailed off last year as well, and we had injured punters in previous years. We were used to seeing ST excellence until 2021. So could it be that what we really saw was just a fall off? In other words, mediocrity?

Our special teams unit was not anywhere near to what the Patriots used to pride themselves on. But they were still ranked in the middle of the league. We thought they were so bad because of the drop from Joe Judge's units. Hopefully we won't experience what the Rams were experiencing (and this isn't even the Rams top guy, he's the assistant!!!)

What Mayo needs is a lot of experienced and savvy coaches around him to help the transition, not a comedy show.
Lol, more lies from you. I guess you don't think anyone is going to fact check your BS. The only clown around here is you. Every one of your takes is either a lie or complete ********.

Screenshot_20240131_124245_Firefox.jpg

And to add even another factor: The Patriots rankings on ST have varied wildly even with the same coaches. I think in 2021 they were near the top of the league with Cam Achord, then in 2022 and 2023 dropped off. Did Cam forget how to coach? Was 2021 a fluke, or were the players that much better? Did the struggles overall in 2023 affect buy in on special teams? It's really hard to answer those questions definitively, but it's more complicated than "coach good" or "coach bad".
Good points. I think that having a competent offense probably helps out your special teams ranking a lot. If your offense can gain a first down or two with regularity then your punt coverage team will do a better job. If your offense is starting with bad field position often and going 3-and-out, the punt coverage team has a lot more lanes they need to worry about, even if the punter is launching bombs. The same can be said for kicking - if the offense is better then they'll kick more XPs instead of field goals, or their field goals will more frequently be 40-50 yards instead of 50+ yards. 2021's offense was at least competent most of the year, which probably helped special teams. 2022 and especially 2023 regressed offensively and so thus likely had negative influence on special teams.

Interesting to think about when considering the fact that the Rams have a good offense but their special teams was bad.

Underwhelming. I want to like Mayo but I'm underwhelmed so far. Not sure what he could of done so far to make me feel better. I fully realize he has barely even got started and I am not holding up anything so far to any kind opinion moving forward but I wish he would do something to get us excited about him maybe his first free agent will get us pumped.
You're still in mourning. It's understandable. Give it a little time.

What matters is that he is a NEW coach.

Wanting Judge out as ST coach being replaced by a ST coach from a terrible ST is what the fans want.

And, they will be very happy if Mayo chooses anyone but Josh, one of the very best OC's.
I'm ecstatic Judge is finally gone.

I'm thrilled Josh hasn't even been interviewed.

We need to move on from Bill's gimps.

Los Angeles was one of the worst special teams units in the league this season, but the former Rams coach preaches a positive attitude and can provide the human connection Mayo seeks as head coach.

Springer, though, also had a hand in scouting and assisting the Rams front office. He worked with special teams coordinator Chase Blackburn to go through what the Rams called “tier four” prospect tape, according to The Athletic’s Jourdan Rodrigue, who observed Los Angeles’ draft process last year.

“I’ve joked with Jeremy (last) spring, ‘Club Springer’ is always open,'” Rams pro scout Matt Waugh told The Athletic last year.

The first round of the NFL draft gets a lot of hype and attention for good reason, but the later rounds of the draft and undrafted free agents are what really shape a roster. Los Angeles depended on this portion of the draft in recent years because of their proclivity to trade away picks in the first three rounds. It was important to get these picks and signings right to help keep the team’s Super Bowl window open. The staff are given a “Les Fund,” named after players whom general manager Les Snead valued who fell into undrafted free agency.

“The Rams add another layer to their UDFA evaluation process: They send their special teams coaches on the road for weeks in the spring not just to take an in-person look at kickers, punters and long snappers at college pro days but to further investigate any player who qualifies in the ‘tier four’ category, who isn’t an offensive lineman or quarterback,” Rodrigue wrote. “The road to the roster for those players — UDFAs ranging from safeties, to running backs, to inside linebackers and even outside linebackers — is often on special teams. So Blackburn and Springer see them all, and break them all down outside the facility (and inside of it, too — hence ‘Club Springer’).”

You're still in mourning. It's understandable. Give it a little time.
No doubt.

I was hoping he would hire a coaching staff that got me excited. I like the Covington hire but let's be honest we all want to see what happens on offense.

Ultimately the free agent class and pick number 3 is where he can move the needle.

Good points. I think that having a competent offense probably helps out your special teams ranking a lot. If your offense can gain a first down or two with regularity then your punt coverage team will do a better job. If your offense is starting with bad field position often and going 3-and-out, the punt coverage team has a lot more lanes they need to worry about, even if the punter is launching bombs. The same can be said for kicking - if the offense is better then they'll kick more XPs instead of field goals, or their field goals will more frequently be 40-50 yards instead of 50+ yards. 2021's offense was at least competent most of the year, which probably helped special teams. 2022 and especially 2023 regressed offensively and so thus likely had negative influence on special teams.

Interesting to think about when considering the fact that the Rams have a good offense but their special teams was bad.

Yup, it's what Bill would call Complimentary Football. Now, that said, the ST this year were NOT good, regardless of whether they were hampered by the offense or not. Ryland didn't just miss long kicks, he missed short ones and extra points too. Barringer had a stretch in the middle of the season where he shanked at least one punt per game. And it was very clear that losing Marcus Jones pretty much took all threat of a return away from the team (with the exception of Reagor's KR against Buffalo). There's a lot to clean up, no doubt. But if the offense can stabilize and pull its weight, it can only help both the ST and the Defense.

Anytime there's a mistake on Special teams, we get to look forward to the Negative Nancy Brigade making stupid Jerry Springer memes
I'll be honest, making silly jokes might be the best part of next year.

Eh, they were going to do that no matter who the coach is. "Peak" comedy around here is coming up with a really obvious derogatory nickname for someone and then using it in every single post as though it's the first time anyone's heard it. It's nauseating sometimes.
I’m sure the known suspects in the game thread are spending the offseason working on new material.

Los Angeles was one of the worst special teams units in the league this season, but the former Rams coach preaches a positive attitude and can provide the human connection Mayo seeks as head coach.

Springer, though, also had a hand in scouting and assisting the Rams front office. He worked with special teams coordinator Chase Blackburn to go through what the Rams called “tier four” prospect tape, according to The Athletic’s Jourdan Rodrigue, who observed Los Angeles’ draft process last year.

“I’ve joked with Jeremy (last) spring, ‘Club Springer’ is always open,'” Rams pro scout Matt Waugh told The Athletic last year.

The first round of the NFL draft gets a lot of hype and attention for good reason, but the later rounds of the draft and undrafted free agents are what really shape a roster. Los Angeles depended on this portion of the draft in recent years because of their proclivity to trade away picks in the first three rounds. It was important to get these picks and signings right to help keep the team’s Super Bowl window open. The staff are given a “Les Fund,” named after players whom general manager Les Snead valued who fell into undrafted free agency.

“The Rams add another layer to their UDFA evaluation process: They send their special teams coaches on the road for weeks in the spring not just to take an in-person look at kickers, punters and long snappers at college pro days but to further investigate any player who qualifies in the ‘tier four’ category, who isn’t an offensive lineman or quarterback,” Rodrigue wrote. “The road to the roster for those players — UDFAs ranging from safeties, to running backs, to inside linebackers and even outside linebackers — is often on special teams. So Blackburn and Springer see them all, and break them all down outside the facility (and inside of it, too — hence ‘Club Springer’).”
One of BB’s strengths was finding gems in the late rounds and UDFAs.

This is like being given a little saucer of parmesan to dine on until your pasta dish arrives.

The data doesn’t back this move up so I wonder what Mayo is using to make decisions. Either way, another coordinator with very little experience. Are we shaping up to have the least experienced coaching group in NFL history? I prefer balance

We're hoping Springer is a good ST hire based on his ONE good KR year with a PAC-12 team???
And that KRer became a 4th string RB that couldn't stick in the NFL...
Great.

I think Mayo is working for LeBron's movie company who's casting a reality reboot of The Replacements.
The concern, with all the emphasis on collaboration and feelgood crap, is that Mayo is hiring likeable and seemingly malleable fellows rather than basing the hire on ABILITY. Note, by the way, that when a boss calls for "collaborative" people, he typically means people who will take time to suss out what the boss wants and feed it back to him. That's "collaboration." What better way to "collaborate" with the guy who evaluates you, to give him a sense of your genius and insight, than to tell him what he wants to hear because he already thinks it? The whole thing smells a little, to be honest. Smells like nonsense.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back