PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: Is Belichick Taking Back his Team?

Good article. You mentioned "Patriots are Looking for a Veteran backup QB". Is this fact or what you think they should do ? "There is one veteran available that I would like the team to sign. That player is former BC QB, Matt Ryan"

Patriots are looking for a Veteran backup QB

There is one veteran available that I would like the team to sign. That player is former BC QB, Matt Ryan. Sign him with the knowledge that he is unlikely to see any playing time, but he will serve as a sounding board veteran that Jones and Zappe can lean on for advice. Remember that Brian Hoyer is not here any longer because he agreed with Jones about the ineptitude of the coaching. To add insult to injury, Matt Patricia was supposed to be the Offensive Line coach. Their inability to protect the QB and Patricia’s inability to make corrections or adjustments is one of the main reasons we had two QBs hurt. They never gave the QBs sufficient time to make plays.

Interesting take. I was shocked how vocal the players were this year. Maybe there is something to this taking control back. It is definitely Bill's MO to get rid of anyone he deems not in line.

Winning cures everything though. If we win, players will fall in line regardless of how they feel. If we continue losing we will continue to hear noise about it from players and everybody else.

Interesting take. I was shocked how vocal the players were this year. Maybe there is something to this taking control back. It is definitely Bill's MO to get rid of anyone he deems not in line.

Winning cures everything though. If we win, players will fall in line regardless of how they feel. If we continue losing we will continue to hear noise about it from players and everybody else.
We won't win if Bill gets rid of everyone who questioned and questions his 2022 approach to the team.

We won't win if Bill gets rid of everyone who questioned and questions his 2022 approach to the team.
Did not say I agreed to it or that it would help us win. Just that it's Bill's usual approach and in the past nobody cared because we kept winning. People will only care if we keep losing.

They won't win if they don't fall in line with the coaches. The players with mettle need to show leadership, not show up an accomplished coach. I think physically Mac has some gifts that will help this team, but his mental state and character are in question.

They won't win if they don't fall in line with the coaches. The players with mettle need to show leadership, not show up an accomplished coach. I think physically Mac has some gifts that will help this team, but his mental state and character are in question.
Not sure about that. This isn't high school. The players' respect, especially that of veterans, needs to be earned. You can't BS the players.

Bill is the one letting 2022 bleed into 2023. He had a chance to go with a clean slate and say "Mac is our guy this season" but he hasn't and worst of all trade rumors (whether true or not) got out there. It would have been a little easier to refute those rumors had Bill previously come out and endorsed Mac but with his noncommittal responses on Mac being the starter the rumor mill churns. Did Mac handle the poor situation Bill put him in last year well? No Bill needs to get over it and check his ego before he ruins another season.

Last edited:
CHOOSE ONE

Show leadership

Mac 's character is in question because he questioned his coaches

Good article. You mentioned "Patriots are Looking for a Veteran backup QB". Is this fact or what you think they should do ? "There is one veteran available that I would like the team to sign. That player is former BC QB, Matt Ryan"

Patriots are looking for a Veteran backup QB

There is one veteran available that I would like the team to sign. That player is former BC QB, Matt Ryan. Sign him with the knowledge that he is unlikely to see any playing time, but he will serve as a sounding board veteran that Jones and Zappe can lean on for advice. Remember that Brian Hoyer is not here any longer because he agreed with Jones about the ineptitude of the coaching. To add insult to injury, Matt Patricia was supposed to be the Offensive Line coach. Their inability to protect the QB and Patricia’s inability to make corrections or adjustments is one of the main reasons we had two QBs hurt. They never gave the QBs sufficient time to make plays.
Great post, the thing is.. that the teams cares about the most no matter what they say publicly... would Ryan accept a
veterans minimum deal to back up Mac? We know the team isn't shelling out more than that for a back up..

Is disrespecting matty who was clearly in over his head on offense, the same as doing it to Bill.

Is disrespecting matty who was clearly in over his head on offense, the same as doing it to Bill.
It isn't out the norm to communicate with former coaches, players ect. It's common place all Over sports.. BB has his mouthpiece in Lombardi... mike Lombardi I'm sure doesn't just conjure up the stuff he says...

Mac is a young man, who was frustrated last season. No one was in his shoes he felt he was in between a rock and a hard place with 2 coaches that didn't have a clue.. so to your point BB likely felt slighted becuase he appointed Patricia play caller and Mac disrespected him by talking to Bama coaches..

Great post, the thing is.. that the teams cares about the most no matter what they say publicly... would Ryan accept a
veterans minimum deal to back up Mac? We know the team isn't shelling out more than that for a back up..
I have my doubts they are looking for a vet QB and the OP hasn’t responded. Either Zappe or Mac will be the backup. After the coaching fiasco in 2022…I don’t think they want anyone else in Mac’s ear other then BOB…not Matt, Judge and Hoyer.

I do think they will need an extra arm for the Camps and will be on the PS during the season.

Last edited:
I have my doubts they are looking for a vet QB and the OP hasn’t responded. Either Zappe or Mac will be the backup. After the coaching fiasco in 2022…I don’t think they want anyone else in Mac’s ear other then BOB…not Matt, Judge and Hoyer.

I do think they will need an extra arm for the Camps and will be on the PS during the season.
We need FOUR arms for camp.

It isn't out the norm to communicate with former coaches, players ect. It's common place all Over sports.. BB has his mouthpiece in Lombardi... mike Lombardi I'm sure doesn't just conjure up the stuff he says...

Mac is a young man, who was frustrated last season. No one was in his shoes he felt he was in between a rock and a hard place with 2 coaches that didn't have a clue.. so to your point BB likely felt slighted becuase he appointed Patricia play caller and Mac disrespected him by talking to Bama coaches..
So, last year we needed a #3, a veteran to help our youngsters. Mac showed much IMPROVEMENT that now the #3 is no longer needed. ??????

Last edited:

Yes, I'm sure they will draft another QB in the 6th or 7th and he'll be the likely camp arm.. to allow Mac some rest.. or some veteran QB off someone's prac

But I like the Idea of having zappe behind Mac to motivate Mac, although not ideal how last season transpired the good Mac can take from this is he went through adversity.. the only coaches that should be in Mac's ear are BOB & BB.. simply put.

Hoyer was the perfect patriots back up, plenty veteran experience, a intelligent cerebral guy. And knew the playbook inside and out. He got rewarded for that by the contract he got in Vegas.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back