PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: Is Belichick Taking Back his Team?

Belichick deserves another year on the rebuild, but if the Pats don't come in with at least a 9-8 record, I think it would be time to find a new head coach.
I think it would be best to keep Bill on as a HC but have him bring in a good GM. That won't happen though.

By no means do I think Mac handled it well but by all accounts Mac has been in the building working every day so one would think he has put 2022 in the rearview where it seems like Bill hasn't. If a 24 year old kid heading into his third year in the league has to be the bigger man in this scenario then Bill's ego has really inflated to an unimaginable size. At this point Bill needs to realize his future with the team is tied to Mac and if Mac fails Bill is likely going to get "retired".
I think Bill realizes that the NYFL doesn't lead to retirement for coaches of his caliber. He'll have a coaching job for as long as he wants one.

Totally irrelevant to the discussion. I'm not sure what about my post is conjecture. There was no conjecture. I wrote that you can't have players undermining the coach. That should go without saying. You think a team without leadership can be a winning team?
The conjecture is thinking that there's some major strife being caused by Jones looking for help with a clearly poor offense. I could just as easily say that Bill is responsible for the strife because of his overreaction and lack of support for Jones.

Any team needs leaders on the field more than on the sideline. In this case it sure looks like the best leadership by Bill would be to support his QB and not his failed coaches.

Just finished reading the posts on this thread and FWIW in particular, I have three things to say about Hoyer leaving.

#1. How much more could Hoyer mentor Mac about the QB position?

#2. Personally, I will never forget how badly Hoyer sucked when he had play against KC after Cam caught Covid. How good of a back up was/is he? Anybody have faith that he can win as a backup QB?

#3. Lastly, many years ago, I had a person who worked under my supervision and undermined me. This caused an extremely difficult situation. He could do his job OK but caused a major distraction. If it's true that BB let Hoyer go because of this, I can certainly understand.

The conjecture is thinking that there's some major strife being caused by Jones looking for help with a clearly poor offense. I could just as easily say that Bill is responsible for the strife because of his overreaction and lack of support for Jones.

Any team needs leaders on the field more than on the sideline. In this case it sure looks like the best leadership by Bill would be to support his QB and not his failed coaches.
I mean, you say I'm using conjecture. I never did. I responded to someone talking about that and said players should never do that. But then you go on to give nothing but conjecture.

Ultimately I disagree with your final statement anyway. If a coach undermines his own coaches, he undermines the entire team. This is why Brady knew to shut up when O'Brien went at him. It's why Manning shut up too in a similar situation. The worst sign of all last year was Mac Jones on the sidelines ranting away. I don't care how bad things are, that's going to create problems, and a ton of former Patriot players said so.

... If a coach undermines his own coaches, he undermines the entire team. This is why Brady knew to shut up when O'Brien went at him. It's why Manning shut up too in a similar situation. The worst sign of all last year was Mac Jones on the sidelines ranting away. I don't care how bad things are, that's going to create problems, and a ton of former Patriot players said so.
^THIS^
And that’s the crux of the problem BB has with Mac. Mac showed immaturity as a leader and he undermined his coaches. All of them, including Bill. First rule of being a professional is DON‘T MAKE YOUR BOSS LOOK BAD.

The fact that Mac went outside was bad, but not as bad as the fact that it got into the media.
There should have been only two people who knew about that conversation.
The minute it hit the headlines it was a bad look for everybody.

The report estimates the Patriots to win just 7.6 games, which most would say seems pretty accurate given their current roster and the opponents they face. Are we on the Titanic?
My latest article says the Patriots have the most difficult schedule of any team in the league. However, I am more optimistic about this team than last years

At the end of the day, the only reason Bill "lost his team" is because he promoted two arrogant bozos who know nothing about offense. the players knew it, the players saw it. Imagine working for a boss who knows less than you telling you how to do your job and its all wrong? Some of these guys have been in the NFL for years. they know what competent coaching/offense looks like and they saw this was not in. There was no strife the year before because the McDaniels knew what he was doing and commanded respect. You cant demand respect you have to command it. Patricia/Judge seemingly commanded respect which rubbed people the wrong way.

Now, the argument on this board (to insulate bill from his bad decisions becuase its never his fault) is its those players faults and how dare they question the garbage plays and undermine the coaching being put in front of them. they should've followed patricia/judge to the grave!! think of how ridiculous that sounds. Ultimately Bill created the environment for it to get out of hand and some blame needs to be laid there. not at the feet of Bourne, meyers, Mac, Hoyer etc. for daring to question the offense/decision making. Bill lost the team at his own hand.

If I had to guess there will be no "undermining' this year because the players respect BOB and he/his staff have actual offensive acumen. I mean it should be more of a story that it was so bad there was no one in the building they thought could even help fix it.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back