Need link for story about Mangini's lack of aggression

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTibbs

In the Starting Line-Up
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Who has a link for last seasons story about Belichick taking over the defensive coaching from Mangini because his play calling was too conservative. Who has that link?

Unfortunately it's pretty damn hard because the Globe, Herald and Projo have their archives in the pay only section. Unless you pay them, those old aricles are out of reach.

Well it's ok, I guess most Jets fans rememeber the article anyhow LMAO.

What I remember, there was no specific statements that Belichick took over the playcalling or the gameplanning.

However :

- The defensive players were questioning the conservative playcalling, that is for sure as we all saw the quotes. Soon after, things changed.

- Mangini lost his red shirt for several games. That is also for sure as we saw it with our own eyes. Who was calling the plays then, who knows. Maybe Mangini but, if so, why was he not wearing the red shirt ?

- Speculation from one of the writers with "sources" (which makes it a little more uncertain) was that Mangini was protecting "his" secondary too much once Harrison was out. Also, equally damning, maybe more so, the "sources" said that Mangini had trouble going from position coach to DC and didn't take and get control of the defensive meetings.

It was all fairly well documented and adds up to some definite issues. But I'm not subscribing to those papers to prove it :)

NEM said:
It is somewhere in my archives because i was the one that initially brought it up.
There you go, someone just needs to seach NEM's amost 11,000 posts :D

The funny thing is I thought Mangini was more aggressive than Crennel the first few games before Rodney got hurt. Then it was the opposite after.

BelichickFan said:
What I remember, there was no specific statements that Belichick took over the playcalling or the gameplanning.

However :

- The defensive players were questioning the conservative playcalling, that is for sure as we all saw the quotes. Soon after, things changed.

- Mangini lost his red shirt for several games. That is also for sure as we saw it with our own eyes. Who was calling the plays then, who knows. Maybe Mangini but, if so, why was he not wearing the red shirt ?

- Speculation from one of the writers with "sources" (which makes it a little more uncertain) was that Mangini was protecting "his" secondary too much once Harrison was out. Also, equally damning, maybe more so, the "sources" said that Mangini had trouble going from position coach to DC and didn't take and get control of the defensive meetings.

It was all fairly well documented and adds up to some definite issues. But I'm not subscribing to those papers to prove it :)

Yeah that was pretty much it there. Along with that there was a unamed player stating that he doesn't get the command of the D in meetings.

NEM said:
Basically, what hapapened, from my memory, is that Seymour and McGinest approached Mangini halfway through the season and suggested some different, and more agressive defensive schemes, and more of an attacking mode...and it worked.....

Up until that time, I thought Mangini's defensive philosophy was far too soft.

NEM is correct - you might want to do a search of the Boston Globe and Herald non-free archives to at least give you the article name and date

Chances are NEM's link, if there was one, wouldn't be working at this point anyways.

My feeling was that Mangini's conservative approach to the defense was based on his assessments of the personnel - injuries, the lack of Tedy, Starks at CB, no Harrison.

But then with some juggling, moving Vrabel, and the assessment from some of the players that they should be unleashed Mangini wisely agreed to give it a try - and that did the trick

So generally I give credit for Mangini being willing to take heed of his players' input, and can understand why he didn't feel his D was initially ready to be agressive with a patchwork secondary and other key cogs missing

JoeSixPat said:
So generally I give credit for Mangini being willing to take heed of his players' input, and can understand why he didn't feel his D was initially ready to be agressive with a patchwork secondary and other key cogs missing
The way the stories went, the players tried this with Mangini and got nowhere - eventually they had to go to Belichick who forced the issue. True ? Who knows.

how aggressive is dungy?

BelichickFan said:
The way the stories went, the players tried this with Mangini and got nowhere - eventually they had to go to Belichick who forced the issue. True ? Who knows.
oh yeah, i forgot the obvious response: how's the colt's defense working out for them?
at least mangini listened to his players.
he needs a fireball over there with him.
IMO this is the HC job where he fails and learns how to do it next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back