PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

National perspective on Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing to consider is that teams looking for a franchise QB have shown a preference for veterans recently - even with limited NFL careers. Brees went to NO after one good season and is now a superstar. Houston gave up a ton for Matt Schaub, and he had how many good games for the Falcons?

Now look at how many high draft pick QBs wash out. And with these kids, you normally have the first year where they're not even playing.

Where would you want to invest your franchise's money?

I think there will be a big market for Cassel as a backup, (because even as he is now, he's a ton better than most backups out there), and probably a chance for him to start somewhere (Jets?). He's got experience, youth, and the most important thing in the NFL - wins under his belt.

Let's face it - Cassel is gone after this season. And probably for a lot more money than the Pats would pay for a backup.

If there is any justice in this world, Favre will continue his retirement two-step with the JEST long enough that Cassel doesn't end up there. As I've said elsewhere on the interwebz, I think MIN might be the ideal place for him.

If there is any justice in this world, Favre will continue his retirement two-step with the JEST long enough that Cassel doesn't end up there. As I've said elsewhere on the interwebz, I think MIN might be the ideal place for him.

Ah, wouldn't it be grand? Unfortunately, Brett seems to be developing a "let me go home" demeanor already.

MIN will surely be in the market for a starter, with DET, KC and SF close on their heels. Who am I missing?

Ah, wouldn't it be grand? Unfortunately, Brett seems to be developing a "let me go home" demeanor already.

MIN will surely be in the market for a starter, with DET, KC and SF close on their heels. Who am I missing?

Titans maybe, considering Collins' age? Maybe the Bears will finally figure out that they need to get a real QB?

My real fear is that Favre makes good on going to the Vikings and the Jets grab Cassel. I like Matt too much to wish that on him.

Last edited:

I'm fine with Cassel leading the Jets next year. He's not a quality starting QB at this point (although he may get there eventually). Then again, I guess that statement qualifies as "hate" since he's the Patriots starting QB.

What will matter is Cassel's buzz or spin when the 2008 season is in the books. Won't matter where he came from or how he got there. Derek Anderson washed out in Baltimore and was third string in Cleveland coming out of camp last season. They had a supposedly viable backup or space saver in Frye and a first round franchise QB of the future in Quinn on the roster. Frye got off to a slow start and was jettisoned like he had the plague after week 1. Quinn had held out of camp over contract issues so he was deemed not ready for prime time. Anderson put together a season that while it faded somewhat down the stretch landed him an alternate nod for the pro bowl just on principle. While they could still control him or reap huge rewards via a RFA tender, Cleveland signed him to a 3 year $24-26M deal that guarantees him $13M. With just $7M up front that remains a tradeable deal for Cleveland but Anderson likely only signed it because he believes he can hold off Quinn as the starter in that system. Cassel knows he cannot hold off the incumbant starter once he returns to this system, so the only way he signs that deal is if they offer it effective THIS year with the potential to trade him once Brady returns. Even so he'd be better off as a tag and trade destined for a new 5 year starters deal even if in being tagged it costs him a few suitors who might have sprung for a tad more absent the trading price.

This is how desperate the NFL potential starting QB market has become. The Bears signed two QB's a day apart last spring to nearly identical deals - Rex Grossman for $3M and Kyle Orton to a 2 year extension that would pay him $3M or up to $4.5M if he won the starting nod this season... Both were coming off relative and varying levels of suckitude. Now the chicago papers are clamoring for a Franchise QB deal for Orton before the end of this season. That is just the market for backups who still might surprise you as opposed to the limited and equally unpalatable and generally more demanding stopgap aging veteran alternatives if they all don't cost you your job...when you don't actually have a bonefide Franchise starting QB on your roster and often haven't for over a decade.

And FWIW to those who kvetch about potentially tying up tag money, Brady was in line for his extension through retirement deal this season before he was lost. If he comes back healthy in the spring and appears on track to return for TC they could well be (and in fact almost have to be) looking at getting his 5-6 year extension done in 2009 before uncapped Armegeddon strikes and that would likely lop several million off his projected 2009 cap hit.

This team can't just keep Cassel for a year for a number of reasons. He would never sign a 2 year extension now (through 2009) because under the expiring CBA that would make him a RFA rather than an UFA in 2010. He certainly wouldn't sign one in 2009 because he'd be thumbing his nose at UFA. His agent would just as soon strangle him and collect on his life insurance... So rest assured he is gone in 2009 absent signing a Derek Anderson like deal in the next 2 months (so he could still be flipped in 2009 or 2010). If he's not playing well enough to warrant that, they wouldn't want him next season anyway as they would just move on to O'Connell as the #2 and a possibly redeemed Gutierrez or some veteran jag as the #3. But if he's really emerging and unwilling to sign an interim deal they will look at franchise tagging him to trade to some salivating team who would rather pay a draft price than have to compete contractually for his services in the open market.

I almost barfed on the way to work today as I heard some guy from Football Outsiders ripping on Cassel on 1510 AM today. Don't get me wrong, I love Football Outsiders, but the problem is they often just look at the stats, not the games.

I don't know if you knew this, or if it was the guy on the radio, but Aaron Schatz, the founder and the editor-in-chief of FO, is a massive Patriots fan. In fact, it was probably him since according to FO's website he currently resides in Framingham.

From what you said, it didn't sound at all like he was ripping into Cassel, but just pointing out the truth - he inherited an offense that last year was the most prolific of all-time and was put at a significant advantage. I'd guess Schatz would readily admit that Cassel has improved in recent weeks, too. I'm sure he's been watching the Patriots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore