PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Final Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocE

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I projected trades in my mock, but I just used a draft chart for rough values.

1 (1) St. Louis- Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma:-I am worried about his shoulder and think Suh makes more sense from a talent standpoint. That said from an economic standpoint a QB makes the most sense.
2 (2) Detroit- Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska- Detroit gets an all around DT who should be great in Schwartz’s D. At some point they need to upgrade the LT spot to protect Stafford.
3 (3) Tampa Bay- Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma- Great 3 technique prospect, significant upgrade over Sims and Hovan inside.
4 (4) Washington- Trent Williams OT Oklahoma- 3 Sooners in the first 4 picks. I believe that Williams is a better fit for what Shanahan wants to do offensively than Russell Okung.
5 (5) Kansas City- Brian Bulago OT Iowa- I wouldn’t take Bulaga here, but I can’t see the Chiefs spending top 5 money on a safety.
6 (6) Seattle- Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State- Pete Carroll is ecstatic if Okung is still on the board here.
7 (7) Cleveland- Eric Berry S Tennessee- This could be the first trade down spot if Cleveland decides it wants Clausen, but I think they stay put and take Berry.
8 (8) Oakland- Jason Pierre Paul DE South Florida- The annual who will Al Davis pick? It’s going to be someone with measurables, but I think the idea that Al is salivating over an OT due to a 40 time (Bruce Campbell) is farfetched. I think he takes Pierre Paul “The quarterback must go down…”
9 (9) Buffalo- Dan Williams DT Tennessee- The Bills are normally not a trade down team, (see Donte Whitner, John McCargo,etc) so this pick is either a NT or an LT.
10 (10) Jacksonville*Trade* Jacksonville trades no.10 to Philadelphia for no.24, a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd round pick. Jacksonville takes a discount to trade out of 10, pay less money, and recap the 2nd rounder they traded to New England. Philadelphia selects Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech- The rumor is Philadelphia wants Earl Thomas or Eric Berry in a trade up, but I think they take Morgan to provide a rush opposite Trent Cole.
11 (11) Denver (from Chicago)-Maurkice Pouncey C Florida- I don’t believe that Denver would take Dez Bryant right after dealing Brandon Marshall, too tough a spot to put a kid in. Denver has a huge hole at C and Pouncey fills it from day one.
12 (12) Miami- Earl Thomas S Texas- The Dolphins lack speed and playmaking at Safety and were outbid for Antrel Rolle. BPA after trading for Brandon Marshall.
13 (13) San Francisco- Joe Haden CB Florida- Nate Clements is in decline and CB might be the weakest spot on the Niners defense.
14 (14) Seattle (from Denver)- CJ Spiller RB Clemson- Dream scenario for Seattle getting Spiller here after having Okung fall to them.
15 (15) New York Giants-Rolando McClain LB Alabama- I’ve read they don’t like McClain, but I don’t buy it. MLB their biggest need after adding Rolle at FS.
16 (16) Tennessee *Trade* Tennessee trades no.16 to Green Bay for no.23 and a 2nd rounder Green Bay leaps ahead of San Francisco for the last of the top 4 OT’s and selects Anthony Davis OT Rutgers. Clifton and Tauscher are both on their last legs and Davis gives Green Bay a blindside protector for Rogers.
17 (17) San Francisco (from Carolina)- Mike Iupati OG Idaho- San Francisco takes Iupati here right in front of Pittsburgh with the idea of trying him at RT, but knowing that at worst they got a great guard.
18 (18) Pittsburgh- Kyle Wilson CB Boise State- The Steelers would love to add Pouncey or Iupati, but they are both gone. Instead, the Steelers address the CB position.
19 (19) Atlanta- Brandon Graham DE Michigan- The Falcons need to improve their pass rush and Graham on that turf in their dome fits perfectly.
20 (20) Houston- Kareem Jackson CB Alabama- Everyone has Ryan Mathews here, but Kubiak comes from the Shanahan school of finding RB’s later in the draft. What the Texans don’t have is anyone to make up for the loss of Dunta Robinson.
21 (21) Cincinnati- Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma- It seems too obvious that the Bengals take Gresham, but I think they finally fill that TE spot here.
22 (22) New England*Trade* Tennessee trades no.23 and a 5th round pick to New England for no.22. Tennessee gets nervous about Baltimore trading up for the last first round CB and makes a minor trade up with New England for Devin McCourty CB Rutgers- Interesting note is that McCourty’s brother was drafted by the Titans last year.
23 (23) New England (from GB through TENN)- Jared Odrick DE Penn State- I know most people will skim to the Pats pick, so here’s my thoughts: If the draft works out this way, someone may want Clausen bad enough to give the Pats a nice package to move down. I thought the 3 most likely candidates for the Pats here would be Odrick, Sergio Kindle, and Demaryius Thomas. I really was torn on who to give them, but settled on Odrick due mostly to draft history.
24 (24) Jacksonville (from Philadelphia)- Jerry Hughes DE TCU- The Jaguars pass rush was anemic last year and Hughes should help them get to the quarterback. Unlike Derrick Harvey, his motor is not in question.
25 (25) Baltimore- Demaryius Thomas WR Georgia Tech- This is either Thomas or Gronkowski for the Ravens, I can’t put Gronkowski in my mock when McShay said on the radio that he knows of 7 teams that have medically failed Gronkowski due to his back.
26 (26) Arizona- Charles Brown OT USC- The Cardinals need to upgrade at the LT spot and Brown is best staying at RT.
27 (27) Dallas- Vladimir Ducasse OT UMASS- The Cowboys released Flozell Adams and are currently counting on Doug Free at LT. Ducasse is the kind of big physical OL the Cowboys prefer and will battle Free and RT Marc Colombo
28 (28) San Diego- Ryan Mathews RB Fresno State- Mathews could go earlier, but I see 28 as his floor with the Chargers needing an every down type back to complement Darren Sproles.
29 (29) New York Jets- Taylor Mays S USC- This may be a head scratcher, but the Jets like to blitz from all angles and I think Mays size/speed and hitting ability (although not consistent) is something Rex Ryan will find appealing.
30 (30) Minnesota- Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame- I am putting him here, but I don’t feel good about it. I think Clausen will go higher and I am unsure if the Vikings would take him here anyways. They are a legit Super Bowl contender right now and a DT to prepare for the imminent retirement of Pat Williams would make a lot of sense here, as would a CB.
31 (31) Indianapolis- Rodger Saffold OT Indiana- Great fit for the Colts here as Saffold could upgrade them at tackle or guard. It’s amazing that the Colts don’t have a first round Olineman playing for them, and don’t have a valuable backup for Peyton Manning, and have never paid for it.
32 (32) New Orleans- Sergio Kindle DE/OLB Texas- The Saints could also go with Weatherspoon here, but I think they will take Kindle and try him at the LB spot vacated by Scott Fujita’s departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back