TE (4): Gronkowski, Hernandez, Ballard (ERFA), Fells
WR (5): Welker, Lloyd, Edelman, Stallworth or UDFA, Slater
OT (4): Solder, Cannon, Zusevics, 2nd or 3rd Round 2013 NFL Draft pick
OG (3): Mankins, Connolly, Thomas
OC (2): Wendell, McDonald

Salary Cap Considerations

Welker or Vollmer: Welker stays

Edelman or Woodhead: Edelman stays

Tate's a good player, but his numbers haven't been earth shattering so far. 23,35 and 35 catches. Julian Edelman's rookie season was as good as Tate's first 2 years. I think Tate would be a solid player, but I'm not sure he's been all world by any means.

He indeed hasn't been all-world, but he would've been a much better choice, in both value & production,
at the spot (#53) used to select Jermaine Cunningham, who I will go to my grave believing would've been
still available at the spot (#90) used to select Taylor Price.

He indeed hasn't been all-world, but he would've been a much better choice, in both value & production,
at the spot (#53) used to select Jermaine Cunningham, who I will go to my grave believing would've been
still available at the spot (#90) used to select Taylor Price.

If so, and IF we had taken Cunningham at 90 instead of Price, there are a ton of players I would have taken at 53 over Tate, both at the time of the draft and in retrospect:

- Carlos Dunlap (54). One of my favorites. Imagine if we had him at LDE opposite Chandler Jones. BB reportedly took Cunningham over Dunlap in part because he felt Dunlap was more of a pure DE - but given what we are playing now, Dunlap is a better schematic fit.
- Sean Lee (55). Incredibly instinctive LB with amazing coverage skills.
- Jared Veldheer (69). I wanted to get Veldheer and pair him with Vollmer. As good as Nate Solder will be, if we had Veldheer and Vollmer we might have been able to package 17+33 and trade up for JJ Watt. :)

I was never a fan of Golden Tate in 2010. I was praying the Pats wouldn't take him. JMHO.

Offensive Blueprint

Salary Cap Considerations

Welker or Vollmer: Welker stays

Edelman or Woodhead: Edelman stays

We have plenty of space for Welker and Vollmer. Cap hit on Welker is 9.5m. We can sign him for 3 years and lower that. Not that we're up against it at that point either. But, Vollmer needs a raise. And, has earned it. And, we will give it to him. I say we keep both.

Edelman and Woodhead are tougher decisions. Woodhead is starting to lose PT to Vereen. And, it will probably get worse for him before better. I think he'll move on. Mutual decision. Don't forget Jeff Demps is coming in too.

Edelman is a tough call. His injuries will hurt him. But, other teams will kick the tires. If we re-up Welker, I think he moves on. We still have Welker and AHern to work the slot. Draft an outside wr and sign one.

We have plenty of space for Welker and Vollmer. Cap hit on Welker is 9.5m. We can sign him for 3 years and lower that. Not that we're up against it at that point either. But, Vollmer needs a raise. And, has earned it. And, we will give it to him. I say we keep both.

Edelman is a tough call. His injuries will hurt him. But, other teams will kick the tires. If we re-up Welker, I think he moves on. We still have Welker and AHern to work the slot. Draft an outside wr and sign one.

If you're going to bring up injuries with Edelman, it's only fair to do the same with Vollmer.

I will remain in the quiet minority that believes letting welker go is the move to make going forward.

I see the offense morphing a little bit more towards two back sets, have vereen role increase dramatically, and have Edelman continue in his dynamic role. I know welker is the safety net and covered over a ton of injuries to our other major options, but I don't see this offense remaining the same going forward.

Welker is great and deserves to get paid, but with the options already on this team, I don't know how you take a 31yr old receiver over a bookend tackle. This team has morphed from a finesse offense to a power team in two seasons, and i can't see them decide on a little guy over a big guy.

I will remain in the quiet minority that believes letting welker go is the move to make going forward.

I see the offense morphing a little bit more towards two back sets, have vereen role increase dramatically, and have Edelman continue in his dynamic role. I know welker is the safety net and covered over a ton of injuries to our other major options, but I don't see this offense remaining the same going forward.

Welker is great and deserves to get paid, but with the options already on this team, I don't know how you take a 31yr old receiver over a bookend tackle. This team has morphed from a finesse offense to a power team in two seasons, and i can't see them decide on a little guy over a big guy.

Why is it either or? Does it have to be?

Why is it either or? Does it have to be?

It doesn't necessarily, but given the early extensions to gronkowski and Hernandez, you have to wonder how many contracts will be going out this summer.

You also have a possible spikes re-up, a Brady and possibly Wilfork or McCourt extensions to consider. Not to say Kraft won't open up the wallet, but the well can only give water to so many.

Last edited:
Do you guys think it's gonna come down to picking two of Woodhead, Demps, and Vereen?

Do you guys think it's gonna come down to picking two of Woodhead, Demps, and Vereen?

I like many got really excited about demps when he got signed, but until he shows me anything on the field, I don't know how to take him over any of the rest.

I think welker is the big block, once they decide on him, the other questions will be clearer.

If you're going to bring up injuries with Edelman, it's only fair to do the same with Vollmer.

Maybe because Vollmer has made the pro bowl. Legitemately! And, Edelman has never shown he can be a NFL starting receiver.

I believe we need to think about the NT of the future.

Wilfork is playing is mind out, and given Wilfork's progression over the years I think it's a good idea to consider drafting a replacement so when Wilfork does experience drop off, probably in the next 2-3 years we'll be ready.

Should be this coming draft or the year after, probably the latter unless there's spectacular talent available. Definitely a 3-4 NT too, not a 4-3 DT.

Last edited:
I believe we need to think about the NT of the future.

Wilfork is playing is mind out, and given Wilfork's progression over the years I think it's a good idea to consider drafting a replacement so when Wilfork does experience drop off, probably in the next 2-3 years we'll be ready.

Should be this coming draft or the year after, probably the latter unless there's spectacular talent available.

Priority #5 in the OP.

Louis Nix if he came out would be ideal, but will probably go too high; or Johnathan Hankins if he slipped a bit in round 1. Jesse Williams or John Jenkins if they fall might be options.

A couple of sleepers to keep an eye on:

1. Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern. 6'2" 328#. Very athletic, very motivated, good work ethic. MIAA DPOY. Had 16.5 TFL and 8.5 sacks as the NT this year, supposedly runs a sub-5.0 40, so he has some athleticism. Got a Senior Bowl invite.

2. Brandon Moore*, DT, Texas. 6'5" 335#. Originally recruited to Alabama, suspended for undisclosed violations, transfered to community college and then to Texas. Has flown under the radar, but very stout. Had 8 TFL this year. Probably won't come out until 2014, so has another year to develop.

Guys like Daniel McCullers and Kwame Geathers might be options as space eaters, but they don't have the athleticism to be much more than that. But still, that could be effective.

Why are we drafting a NG if we're running a 4-3 defense? Not all, but most 4-3 teams have one big run stuffer to play the 5 technique and cover the run, and the other is a technique get up the field pass rusher. We have Vince for that 5 tech guy. Kyle Love is a solid backup and can also start. Deaderick is the backup at 3 tech. We need a starting 3-technique dt to get after the qb. Most 330lb NG's physically can't do it. Vince Wilfork's don't grow on trees. We got very luck to get him where we did. Nix won't fall as Mayo mentioned. But that's ok, we don't need that type of guy.

Maybe because Vollmer has made the pro bowl. Legitemately! And, Edelman has never shown he can be a NFL starting receiver.
Vollmer has also been dealing with back issues for most of the past two seasons and on and off since college. There's more injury risk there than a guy who has multiple unrelated injuries.

Why are we drafting a NG if we're running a 4-3 defense? Not all, but most 4-3 teams have one big run stuffer to play the 5 technique and cover the run, and the other is a technique get up the field pass rusher. We have Vince for that 5 tech guy. Kyle Love is a solid backup and can also start. Deaderick is the backup at 3 tech. We need a starting 3-technique dt to get after the qb. Most 330lb NG's physically can't do it. Vince Wilfork's don't grow on trees. We got very luck to get him where we did. Nix won't fall as Mayo mentioned. But that's ok, we don't need that type of guy.

Because the Pats don't run a strict, vanilla 4-3. They do play 3-4 occasionally, and even their 4-3 fronts sometimes play Wilfork in the 3-4 NT role.

Vollmer has also been dealing with back issues for most of the past two seasons and on and off since college. There's more injury risk there than a guy who has multiple unrelated injuries.

Pro-bowl quality players are worth the risk. The contracts aren't guaranteed. You're only paying him the signing bonus if he gets hurt. It's not like baseball and John Lackey.

Because the Pats don't run a strict, vanilla 4-3. They do play 3-4 occasionally, and even their 4-3 fronts sometimes play Wilfork in the 3-4 NT role.

Did you read the rest of my paragraph? Kyle Love is more than suitable to backup Vince. We don't have a pass-rushing DT. I don't want Jesse Williams and his zero sacks chasing Ryan Tannehill. I want someone who can move.

Did you read the rest of my paragraph? Kyle Love is more than suitable to backup Vince. We don't have a pass-rushing DT. I don't want Jesse Williams and his zero sacks chasing Ryan Tannehill. I want someone who can move.

Kyle Love isn't anywhere on the same planet as Wilfork. Could you imagine the Ravens game in the AFCC without Wilfork? He's a good DT, but Love would be a miserable replacement as an anchoring NT.

The successful scheme we have been running in recent weeks absolutely depends on a dominating NT like Wilfork. Someone posted stats with Wilfork on the field and without, and it was damn clear that Wilfork is the linchpin to this front.

Nobody else on this team can get double teamed and still frequently get push up the middle.

The easy way to put this - this D cannot afford an adequate replacement. It needs a dominant player at that position.

Last edited:

The way I phrased it in the OP was "Depth at DT/penetrating DT/successor to Vince Wilfork", not specifically a NT. But I expect that, to use the Patriot's preferred term of art, we are always going to be "multiple", and it's important to have guys who are stout enough to play 3-4 NT, 4-3 NT, and 4-3 DT. We need depth at DT as well as a penetrating DT, and we will eventually need someone to succeed Wilfork. Louis Nix and Johnathan Hankins have the athleticism to be that kind of player. Jesse Williams and Johnathan Jenkins might, though it's less obvious. As you say, Vince Wilfork's don't grow on trees. Right now Brandon Williams looks like the closest facsimile who is likely to slip through the cracks - not a true Wilfork, but a decently athletic DT who can play in multiple sets. Not all top DTs go 1st round. Kris Jenkins went in the 3rd round, I believe.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back