PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint for the Offense

Thinking more about the WR/TE position for 2015:

- Rob Gronkowski, Julian Edelman, Brandon LaFell and Tim Wright are givens
- I'd resign RFA FB/H-back James Develin
- I'd cut Michael Hoomanwanui to save the cap space and add a late round/UDFA
- I'd evaluate Danny Amendola and Josh Boyce and decide what to do with the second slot/Z receiver behind Julian Edelman. I'd consider cutting/restructuring Amendola depending on where the team views Boyce's development and other options.
- I'd look to add 1-2 receivers on day 3/UDFA - probably split ends as discussed above, depending on the Amendola/Boyce situation.

- I'd evaluate Danny Amendola and Josh Boyce and decide what to do with the second slot/Z receiver behind Julian Edelman. I'd consider cutting/restructuring Amendola depending on where the team views Boyce's development and other options.
- I'd look to add 1-2 receivers on day 3/UDFA - probably split ends as discussed above, depending on the Amendola/Boyce situation.

What about Dobson? What future do you see there?

I dislike this TE class so far. Blake Bell's upside appeals to me but haven't really found a TE that can block that I like yet. BUT, if Maxx Williams declares, all bets are off. Guy is a future AHern.

I think this WR class could be nearly as deep as last year's but our record in drafting them is so bad that I've almost given up. I still want Smelter because I like him so much but I'm hesitant beyond him.

I agree, though I would not cut Hoohah until the end of TC, just to be sure that a suitable replacement was ready to go by Week 1.

I would also seriously consider the free agent marketplace before the draft. The cap savings from Amendola should at least be close to being able to pay for another LaFell-caliber talent.

Last edited:
What about Dobson? What future do you see there?

I dislike this TE class so far. Blake Bell's upside appeals to me but haven't really found a TE that can block that I like yet. BUT, if Maxx Williams declares, all bets are off. Guy is a future AHern.

I think this WR class could be nearly as deep as last year's but our record in drafting them is so bad that I've almost given up. I still want Smelter because I like him so much but I'm hesitant beyond him.

I think that Dobson is a big question mark right now. He put together a solid rookie season before getting hurt, then had an entirely lost season this year. It might have all been injuries and poor management by the medical staff (where have I heard that before?), but at this point I think his motivation, toughness and desire have to be proven, along with his ability to stay healthy. The talent is clearly there, but it takes much more than talent - Ras-I Dowling had plenty of talent, too. So I would bring in some competition at WR - at least 1 and maybe 2 split ends.

I think that WR and RB can be addressed on day 3 of this draft, unless an exceptional opportunity presents itself on day 2. This draft is fortunately quite deep at both positions. I think Smelter has the potential to be as good as guys like Kevin White and DeVante Parker, so he's atop my day 3 bargain list. I will be disappointed if we miss out on him, as I was disappointed last year with Brandon Thomas and Antone Exum.

I am not high on the TEs in this class either, but I'm not sure that anything that Hooman does warrants his cap hit, and I would add a late round/UDFA TE for competition. Maxx Williams would surely warrant consideration, and Tim Wright provides flexibility at both split end and move TE.

I agree, though I would not cut Hoohah until the end of TC, just to be sure that a suitable replacement was ready to go by Week 1.

I would also seriously consider the free agent marketplace before the draft. The cap savings from Amendola should at least be close to being able to pay for another LaFell-caliber talent.

In terms of WR I would go for both. A draft pick thinking longterm (Smelter is ideal for that) and, as you said, another FA that is LaFell-esque that will help us short term. One thing I learned from LaFell is that if you find the right guy then he will pick up the system soon. Rookies usually take a 1-2 years, and time is running out for Brady. The ones that are instant game changers are drafted long before our pick.

In terms of WR I would go for both. A draft pick thinking longterm (Smelter is ideal for that) and, as you said, another FA that is LaFell-esque that will help us short term. One thing I learned from LaFell is that if you find the right guy then he will pick up the system soon. Rookies usually take a 1-2 years, and time is running out for Brady. The ones that are instant game changers are drafted long before our pick.

I don't see a ton of FA options at WR:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/wide-receiver/

Got any targets in mind?

What about Eddie Royal? Has the athleticism that fits the Patriot type and has worked with Josh Mcdaniels before.

I think he'd be a fine addition, but his $5M cap hit gave me pause. Price and availability are the issues with Randall Cobb, Torrey Smith, Jeremy Maclin and many others who would be good fits.

I don't see a ton of FA options at WR:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/wide-receiver/

Got any targets in mind?

Would have to take a look at players that potentially might get cut due to contract.

Otherwise the only potentially curious player on that list is actually Hakeem Nicks. He is considered a failure in the last few years with the Giants and this year in Indianapolis it doesn't look better. If they don't extend him I would offer him a low and safe contract and see if he bites.

Can't hurt to have him at least as another camp veteran.

What about Eddie Royal? Has the athleticism that fits the Patriot type and has worked with Josh Mcdaniels before.
Working with Josh before have NOT been a better option, infact people WHO have worked with him have failed?

Oakland's Denarius Moore might be a good option:

- He's only 25 years old
- Good chance that he'll want to move on from Oakland (wouldn't anyone?)
- He's having a down year in a contract year on a terrible team after 3 solid years
- He's younger than DA with more speed, and can help stretch the field a bit
- He probably wouldn't break the bank

He could probably be signed for somewhere in the Brandon LaFell range. The 3 year cap savings from cutting Amendola is $12.9M ($2.1M in 2015, $4.3M in 2016, and a whopping $6.5M in 2017).

I'd be ok with Edelman-LaFell-Moore-Dobson-rookie at WR, plus Tim Wright.

Oakland's Denarius Moore might be a good option:

- He's only 25 years old
- Good chance that he'll want to move on from Oakland (wouldn't anyone?)
- He's having a down year in a contract year on a terrible team after 3 solid years
- He's younger than DA with more speed, and can help stretch the field a bit
- He probably wouldn't break the bank

He could probably be signed for somewhere in the Brandon LaFell range. The 3 year cap savings from cutting Amendola is $12.9M ($2.1M in 2015, $4.3M in 2016, and a whopping $6.5M in 2017).

I'd be ok with Edelman-LaFell-Moore-Dobson-rookie at WR, plus Tim Wright.

I looked a bit at him yesterday when you posted the FA link. Unfortunately, I really have no idea about him at all. I think I knew more about Sanders when we wanted to sign him as RFA than I know about Moore.

It all sounds good. I guess it depends on his football intelligence.

I wish there was a taller receiver available but unless the Bucs cut Vincent Jackson I doubt there will be anything "in stock". Also not sure if a player like Jackson (or Fitzgerald) would be in our price range.

Working with Josh before have NOT been a better option, infact people WHO have worked with him have failed?

Still think that Greg Salas could've been more productive here than he has been with the Jesters
(then again, who wouldn't?). And I really wanted the Pats to sign Brandon Gibson instead of DA.

As for realistic WR targets, besides the aforementioned Salas, Royal & Moore, I would also consider:
Cecil Shorts (if he's past his concussion issues), Kenny Britt (Rutgers), Kevin Ogletree, and Seji
Ajirotutu.

An interesting take from Mike Reiss's chat today:

John S. (Southington, Connecticut): Another disappointing end to Aaron Dobson's season. Should the Pats alter their methodology for judging WR talent in the draft? Perhaps they should select players that their current criteria rules out!

Mike: John, this might come across a little harshly, but I believe it to be the truth. Everything they liked about Dobson was spot-on -- he has good size, athleticism, catches the ball well, runs well, good kid etc. -- but the one area where I think the miscalculation shows up is how the player would adapt to a hard-driving, competitive environment. This place isn't for everyone. You look at the WRs who have made it here -- Deion Branch, Julian Edelman, now Brandon LaFell -- they rose up to that challenge and showed the necessary competitive drive to seize that top role. The QB demands a lot. So does the head coach. Some rise up to that, others not so much. Dobson hasn't shown it just yet. Can it happen? I don't think the book is closed, but it's not trending in the right direction, obviously.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/51419

Not to mention Wes Welker.

It clearly takes a lot of elbow grease and film study to succeed in this system. Something to think about in terms of evaluating potential FAs and draft prospects at WR.

What kind of deal does CJ Spiller expect from the Bills? If he wants out of Buffalo, he could replace Vereen in the passing game and being a much better runner. Kind of a home-run threat from that position. Bills new owner spent a zillion dollars when he took over the Sabres. I'm sure he'll spend as much as he can. Question would be whether CJ wants out. Not, whether we can give him a better deal or not.

We've spent a lot of time over the last few weeks looking into the projected salary cap numbers for next year and many have argued that it would be tight going forward. If this is so (or even close to the truth) then we need to spend our money on the interior offensive and interior defensive line. Connolly should be replaced with someone better and Wendell should be replaced as well. Either could be a backup but not a starter at this juncture. Stork is a fine addition so far but the rebuilding must continue with upgrades at both guard positions. We still don't have the kind of offensive line that can consistently protect an old qb or open holes for our rbs against a stout front regardless of who is carrying the ball.

On defense our best tackle (and bedrock our our defense) is 33 and will likely be gone after this year or next. Historically he has played 90% of the snaps and will be a challenge to replace with 2 players never mind one. As of now, we have Branch (of questionable dependability), Saliga (whose resume includes at present a total of about five games of solid play), Chris Jones (a decent rotational player), and Easley (who I really hope can be a star, but is far from a sure thing as of yet). IMO, we need some guards and a tackle or two who are ready to play, not the "shiny hood ornament" of an outside wide receiver or a third down back. Both of those would be lovely additions but aren't essential to this teams' success. Again, let's build from the inside.

We've spent a lot of time over the last few weeks looking into the projected salary cap numbers for next year and many have argued that it would be tight going forward. If this is so (or even close to the truth) then we need to spend our money on the interior offensive and interior defensive line. Connolly should be replaced with someone better and Wendell should be replaced as well. Either could be a backup but not a starter at this juncture. Stork is a fine addition so far but the rebuilding must continue with upgrades at both guard positions. We still don't have the kind of offensive line that can consistently protect an old qb or open holes for our rbs against a stout front regardless of who is carrying the ball.

On defense our best tackle (and bedrock our our defense) is 33 and will likely be gone after this year or next. Historically he has played 90% of the snaps and will be a challenge to replace with 2 players never mind one. As of now, we have Branch (of questionable dependability), Saliga (whose resume includes at present a total of about five games of solid play), Chris Jones (a decent rotational player), and Easley (who I really hope can be a star, but is far from a sure thing as of yet). IMO, we need some guards and a tackle or two who are ready to play, not the "shiny hood ornament" of an outside wide receiver or a third down back. Both of those would be lovely additions but aren't essential to this teams' success. Again, let's build from the inside.

I agree - but through the draft, not FA.

I don't think he'll be a consideration for the Pats, but Chris Carter's son Duron is being courted by a number of NFL teams. There are reportedly about 15 teams "interested" in him, with SF, Seattle and Indy the most mentioned. Carter has reportedly said he would like to play for Indy.

Carter (6'3" 206# according to his NFLDraftScout profile, though I've also seen him listed as 6'5") was a high profile recruit to Ohio St. who was ruled academically ineligible, and then bounced around a lot. S lot of teams passed on him after he went underrated in 2013, but he has done well with the Montreal Alouettes and is now garnering interest. Carter reportedly had a lot of issues with immaturity and poor work habits, and I rather doubt he'd be a good fit for the Pats. But he will be on an NFL roster next year.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/11...l-colts-seahawks-49ers-cfl-montreal-alouettes
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ceiver-duron-carter--cris--son-211232239.html

An interesting take from Mike Reiss's chat today:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/51419

Not to mention Wes Welker.

It clearly takes a lot of elbow grease and film study to succeed in this system. Something to think about in terms of evaluating potential FAs and draft prospects at WR.

Brandon LaFell in learning the Pats' offense:

The amount of work you’ve got to put in to learn this offense is ridiculous,” LaFell said. “To come out there and produce and get on the same page as Tom and the other guys, it took me the whole offseason, part of camp and pretty much the first two or three games. It’s gratifying, but it’s tough to do.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...4/12/patriots_notebook_lafell_s_work_pays_off

Something to think about in terms of expectations for a FA or rookie WR next year. As Oswlek put it, as long as we run our current offense we can't expect that most receivers will succeed. It takes someone with a lot of dedication, intelligence, a great work ethic, and a thick skin to succeed.

Some guys who I think would have succeeded nicely:

- Emmanuel Sanders
- Antonio Brown
- Marvin Jones

None of those guys was higher than a late 3rd round pick. Brown and Jones were day 3 prospects.

Dont think you can say those 3 and not adding other WRs like AJ Green, Julio Jones, Larry Fitz etc. They are perfect Patriots WRs aswell. But the wont be there on day 3 so it comes Down to what BB value most. And this is a area where I think the coachs background philosophy ( offense or defense minded ) comes into play.

I love the middle and out philosophy, but I do value a good wr or back. And I also beleave a good back takes the top of a passrush, and could help as much as a good OL.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back