PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint for the Defense

So was I but they seem like a good logical fit. I wasn't particularly 'whelmed' by Chandler Jones either. Have you checked out Terrence Fede's highlight video yet? Unfortunately it's all we have to go on. I prefer him to pretty much anyone else.

Really? I thought Jones was a beast on tape. Destroyed tackles. Franky I only saw the Pitt\WVU game, The only Defender I liked more was Mark Barron. When drafted a Dlineman I want someone who caused havock at the college level. I see that in Clowney, Donald, Ford and Easley in that group.
Also I don't want he Pats to draft a SS but I'm huge on Jimmy Ward

Really? I thought Jones was a beast on tape. Destroyed tackles. Franky I only saw the Pitt\WVU game, The only Defender I liked more was Mark Barron. When drafted a Dlineman I want someone who caused havock at the college level. I see that in Clowney, Donald, Ford and Easley in that group.
Also I don't want he Pats to draft a SS but I'm huge on Jimmy Ward

If you like Barron and Ward then we can be friends. Ward is one of my favourites this year and Barron is probably the player I most enjoyed scouting. Loved him!!!

Scott Chricton is probably me favorite real 43 DE outside of Clowney. I'd rather have Ford or Attachou though. I also think Dom Easley can play 43 End.

Bad year for pass rushers. And yes Easley can play end.

I keep coming to the conclusion that Easley is my favorite DE in the draft, followed by Terrance Fede as a developmental end.

So was I but they seem like a good logical fit. I wasn't particularly 'whelmed' by Chandler Jones either. Have you checked out Terrence Fede's highlight video yet? Unfortunately it's all we have to go on. I prefer him to pretty much anyone else.

I haven't. I have a strong bias against highlight reels even if it's all that's available.

I am a little worried about your comparison of Fede to Jones. His arms don't look very long and that would be a big difference.

From Walter Football today:

3/25/14: Sources tell WalterFootball.com that Donald could slide in the first round because there are only a few teams that he fits - namely Chicago and Dallas. Donald is a wild card who could go in the top 16, or one of those teams could move down and perhaps land him. A year ago a similar prospect, Sharrif Floyd, wasn't expected to slide into the teens and 20s, but that's what happened.

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Draft Big Board

Daniel Jeremiah has already said he thinks Donald is the best DT in this draft but that he expects Timmy Jernigan to go ahead of Donald because Jernigan fits more teams.

Please.

From Walter Football today:

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Draft Big Board

Daniel Jeremiah has already said he thinks Donald is the best DT in this draft but that he expects Timmy Jernigan to go ahead of Donald because Jernigan fits more teams.

Please.

It will never happen but I would pay to see what BB would do if Hageman and Donald were both still on the board. Perhaps the closest to this coming true would be if they were both on the board in the early 20's and BB trade up to get one. The problem is even though they're different players with different roles because they're both on the board BB probably would say well as long as one slides we got a player we were targeting.

BTW Aaron Donald is on Path to the Draft on NFLN tonight at 7PM.

This idea of moving Logan Ryan to the deep safety spot and bringing McCourty more up into the box is interesting:

Patriots may take look with Logan Ryan at safety | Boston Herald

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ryan-possibly-moving-safety.html#.UzKtO_l_u6M

Purely from a draft perspective, if this is going to be BB's new philosophy in the secondary, isn't it a perfect philosophy for my two favourite secondary prospects, Kyle Fuller and Jimmie Ward? Fuller would be perfect in that new McCourty role of coming up into the box and covering TE's with his physicality and coverage ability whilst Ward would be ideal for that role but also the new Logan Ryan role of covering half the deep field (Browner side) and making plays on the ball.

I don't necessarily think it means they'll be drafted because we do have a logjam in the defensive backfield, but theoretically, both players were absolutely made for these roles.

This idea of moving Logan Ryan to the deep safety spot and bringing McCourty more up into the box is interesting:

Patriots may take look with Logan Ryan at safety | Boston Herald

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ryan-possibly-moving-safety.html#.UzKtO_l_u6M

Purely from a draft perspective, if this is going to be BB's new philosophy in the secondary, isn't it a perfect philosophy for my two favourite secondary prospects, Kyle Fuller and Jimmie Ward? Fuller would be perfect in that new McCourty role of coming up into the box and covering TE's with his physicality and coverage ability whilst Ward would be ideal for that role but also the new Logan Ryan role of covering half the deep field (Browner side) and making plays on the ball.

I don't necessarily think it means they'll be drafted because we do have a logjam in the defensive backfield, but theoretically, both players were absolutely made for these roles.

I've suggested Fuller in that role before. His experience playing LB and his physicality are well suited to that role. The only question is whether he is more valuable as a man coverage CB. That, and the high draft cost of Fuller, is why I tend to prefer Antone Exum in that role.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ward is the best single high FS prospect in this draft, and along with Lamarcus Joyner the best coverage safety. The problem has always been that we already have a really good single high FS in McCourty, and I don't see us playing a ton of Cover 2.

I'm not sure about bringing McCourty up in the box. He's pretty undersized for that role, and I wonder if he will hold up in a more physical role. Also, while Ryan is a great ballhawk, he doesn't have McCourty's pure speed and recovery range.

But it will be very interesting to see how the Pats' try to figure out how to use all their weapons in the secondary.

I've suggested Fuller in that role before. His experience playing LB and his physicality are well suited to that role. The only question is whether he is more valuable as a man coverage CB. That, and the high draft cost of Fuller, is why I tend to prefer Antone Exum in that role.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ward is the best single high FS prospect in this draft, and along with Lamarcus Joyner the best coverage safety. The problem has always been that we already have a really good single high FS in McCourty, and I don't see us playing a ton of Cover 2.

I'm not sure about bringing McCourty up in the box. He's pretty undersized for that role, and I wonder if he will hold up in a more physical role. Also, while Ryan is a great ballhawk, he doesn't have McCourty's pure speed and recovery range.

But it will be very interesting to see how the Pats' try to figure out how to use all their weapons in the secondary.

I'm not sure about bringing McCourty up into the box either because I'm not sure he's physical enough (Fuller certainly is) but as I said in the main forum, the reason I quite like this is that, with Revis on the team, the deep safety now has much less ground to cover and Ryan, whilst not necessarily having McCourty's range, is the better ball player and now that our deep safety needs to worry less about covering wide areas of ground, he is much better able to go for the interceptions.

I think this move is about getting the four best DBs on the field, with Harmon, Dennard and Arrington all being excellent depth and I don't think the window is really there for Fuller or Ward. I'm just saying that these new roles are absolutely ideal for them.

Wonder if Ebner after 2 red shirt years could be the answer, know its a long short, but so was Stephen Neal.

Wonder if Ebner after 2 red shirt years could be the answer, know its a long short, but so was Stephen Neal.

I think this move, if true, is about getting the best players on the field as much as possible. I don't think Ebner qualifies in that regard. Don't forget, at least for now, we still have Adrian Wilson.

Another player out of the Donald race? With Jared Allen signing for the Bears, Lamar Houston will probably line up at 3-tech quite a bit. A bit similar in role to Donald?

I fear BB beleave Donald is 4-3 DT only, and mayby the same reason we didn't sign Allen. BB wanna be able to play 4-3 and 3-4 with the same people.

I fear BB beleave Donald is 4-3 DT only, and mayby the same reason we didn't sign Allen. BB wanna be able to play 4-3 and 3-4 with the same people.

In his latest Mock Draft, CNNSI.com's Chris Burke mocked Aaron Donald at #11 to Tennessee, with the following very interesting comment:

Assuming new defensive coordinator Ray Horton wants to implement a hybrid defense with a 3-4 focus, Donald would be a godsend. He can play inside in a 4-3, outside in a 3-4, even slid to nose tackle back at Pittsburgh. Donald would provide tons of flexibility, including the ability for Tennessee to limit Al Woods to a two-down role, where his run-stopping abilities would be most beneficial.

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Blake Bortles goes No. 1 to Houston Texans | Audibles - SI.com

The conventional thinking is that Donald is a scheme-limited penetrating 3-tech. Burke is the first person I've seen in the media actually discuss Donald as a scheme-diverse player who can be used in multiple roles, which is how I see him (and Dominique Easley as well, perhaps to an even greater extent).

Just because these guys aren't traditional 2-gappers doesn't mean that they don't have versatility and can't be productive in different schemes.

Pete Carroll on Brandon Browner:

Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll has long been a proponent of cornerbacks playing a physical bump-and-run style, and when he considers what the New England Patriots now have with Brandon Browner, it’s his ability to be effective in that area that stands out most.

“That’s when he’s at his best, on the line of scrimmage," Carroll said Wednesday at the NFC coaches breakfast. “He’s built for that. He’s so long, so big and so aggressive."

With this in mind, count Carroll among those intrigued as to Patriots coach Bill Belichick’s defensive plans with Browner (6-4, 221) and fellow cornerback Darrelle Revis (5-11, 198).

“It’s going to be really fun to watch those guys play together. I’m anxious to see how they use them, how they do it,” Carroll said. “Bill’s a great football coach and he’ll figure out how to use those guys. Look forward to watching it.”

Carroll expounded more on Browner as a collection of New England reporters gathered at this table.

“He’s a fantastic football player, a great competitor. He has a great depth of understanding of the position,” he said. “He’s played bump-and-run press technique since he was a freshman in college, back at Oregon State. We played against him back in the day. He was only there a couple of years because he left early. He was a fantastic player in college, went to Canada and was a fantastic player in Canada. By the time we got him, he was so savvy in playing the position, and I think he really blossomed, again took another step forward just with our commitment to the style of play and all.

“I talked to Bill about it, and I’m kind of envious. He’s a great baller. He’s going to get a really special guy in Brandon.”

Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll talks Brandon Browner - ESPN Boston

My defense-only draft (obviously unrealistic, but an exercise), using NFLDraftScout rankings and including a Mallett trade:

- Mallett to Houston for #33. Again, this is an exercise, not a prediction of what's going to happen.
- 29 + 62 to Pittsburgh for #15.
#15 - Aaron Donald - DT - Pittsburgh. NFLDraftScout #16. "The chaos messenger".
- 33 to Jacksonville for 39 and 105.
#39 - Dominique Easley, DT/DE, Florida. NFLDraftScout #57. "Chaos messenger" #2. Total disruption up front.
#93. Jordan Tripp - LB - Montana. NFLDraftScout #116. Speed and versatility at LB.
#105. Christian Jones - LB - Florida St. NFLDraftScout #123. Speed and versatility at LB #2.
#130. Antone Exum - DB - Virginia Tech. NFLDraftScout #138. My SS, can also play press-man CB.
#140. Phillip Gaines - CB - Rice. NFLDraftScout #148. Darrelle Revis understudy.
- Trade #198 and #206 to New Orleans for #167.
#167. Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB/S - Boston College. NFLDraftScout #159. Speed and versatility at LB #3, hybrid LB/S.
#244. Larry Webster, DE, Bloomsburg. NFLDraftScout #255. Athletic sub rusher and hybrid DE/OLB. A poor man's Dion Jordan.

UDFA:

- Jonathan Dowling - DB - Western Kentucky. NFLDraftScout #284.
- Terrance Fede - DE - Marist. NFLDraftScout #561.
- Zach Moore - DE - Concordia. NFLDraftScout #365.
- Ben Gardner - DE - Stanford. NFLDraftScout #266.
- Zach Kerr - DT - Delaware. NFLDraftScout #305.

Jut missed:

- DeMarcus Lawrence - DE - Boise St. NFLDraftScout #90. The hardest call was taking only 2 out of Lawerence, Jordan Tripp, and Christian Jones.
- Dontae Johnson - DB - North Carolina. NFLDraftScout #179.
- Walt Aikens - CB - Liberty. NFLDraftScout #207.
- Justin Ellis - DT - Louisiana Tech. NFLDraftScout #156.
- Brent Urban - DT/DE - Virginia. NFLDraftScout #165.

We already know this but this one's for Mayo:

My breakdown of the tier 1 DTs is done and should be posted sometime. When it is, it's basically going to say that Aaron Donald is amazing

That's from Greg Peshek who does the comparative breakdowns.

We already know this but this one's for Mayo:

That's from Greg Peshek who does the comparative breakdowns.

The Metrics are in:

Peshek: DT Metrics 1.0 - Out Of The Box - Rotoworld.com

If you include knocking the ball down Donald influenced the QB (sack, hurry, knock down, batted pass) every 6.19 snaps. Hageman does so every 7.29 snaps (an impressive figure in it's own right). Perhaps Hageman's most impressive stat is that on a quarter of his run stops, he made the stop between 4-7 gaps away from where he lined up which shows tremendous range.

Donald is a great prospect and I'd be thrilled to get him but Hageman statistically isn't that much of a compromise when it comes to influencing the game. And with his great size and length , he has the potential to be a dominant player in his own right. It's a bit like saying "would you rather have JJ Watt or Muhammad Wilkerson?" They are both great players.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back