PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My assessment of yesterday's game

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
O.K. lets start out with the most unfortunate thing I have to say - I hate Peyton Manning as much as all of you do here but lets be realistic here for a moment - Peyton is simply the best signal caller in the game today - Yes even better than Brady now - Brady does have all the rings but I think Peyton finally has proven without a shadow of a doubt that after all these years of problems reading good NFL defenses and schemes that he has got it right at this late point in his career - You can't beat Denver and New England back to back especially at their home stadiums without having total control of your offense PLUS a vast knowledge of what the defense has laid out in front of you,I saw something I had never seen before of manning till last night...He was calling audibles and changes at the line of scrimmage adjusting to what the Patriots had laid out in front of him and he made the appropriate changes to destroy the secondary often and all night..It IS a big change from the old Peyton who used to have that dumbfounded look on his face when the Patriots D set up a wacky formation-Now it appears we can't fool him much anymore. - I know Pats homers here say the same that the Indianapolis Colts will CHOKE again in the playoffs and hopefully they will,BUT it won't be because of Manning and the offense,it will be because their opponent is running roughshod over the Colts D-Line - IMO Manning has finally seen the key to success in winnig a Championship-Now the rest of his team needs to follow suit - I for one am hoping they never do.​
Everyone is asking why did the Patriots forgot the run and did mostly passing when Indy had the worst rushing D in the league? - My take on it is that once Rodney went down with an early first quarter injury in the secondary,BB and staff probably said UH-OH our best secondary guy is down and we can't stop them even more so now and I think that is why they went to the air when it was apparent Dillon and Maroney were doing damage on the ground,Rodney going down with that injury changed the whole offensive scheme for the Patriots,If you think about it,the Patriots prior to the injury to Rodney were running about 60% of the time until he got hurt,I guess they felt the only way to stay competitive was to throw the ball because they knew now that with Rodney gone that Peyton was going to light up the secondary like a Christmas Tree-Much like last year..And they were right​
Rodney's injury might have been the final DOOM in this game for the Pats before the 2nd quarter actually began,no matter what turnovers we had,Rodney missing from the game gave the Colts much easier ways to score without a doubt-those Colt receivers had absolutely no fear with any passing patterns that they executed and to perfection I must say.​
I would not blame Brady for this loss,In fact I think he played a game good enough to have won this one but you simply cannot plan for tipped ball interceptions,the Colts players were in the right place at the right time and no matter how hard you practice during the week and no matter how hard you play,things like this happen....It just happened to be a major reason why we lost the game but overall I think the offense was moving very well all night,even though the run game would have possibly been the diffrence maker as Madden was saying about 100 times last night that if we had just continued to run we would have had a better chance to keep Manning and Company on the sidelines,hence a much tougher game for the Colts to win.​
I was paying close attention to Tedi Bruschi last night and he just did not seem to be the Tedi of old...I hope age is not catching up with him but those tight ends of Indy were catching critical third down conversions all night,That is usually where Tedi was so special at,years ago those TEs would have been shut down by him but he could not keep up with the speed and patterns of those guys...Lets hope it was just a bad game for him and not a 'getting older' thing.​
I think stupid calls from the officials and Defensive penalties were also a big factor,Those Defensive pass interference penalties were way too often,If our guys can't keep up with speed receivers in the playoffs without causing serious infractions and giving continuous first downs to the opposition then we will be in trouble...We need to keep those to a minimum when playing top offenses when the playoffs begin - When you have 80+ yards in penalties in a game you will LOSE 90% of the time,whether it was a refs blunder or not.​
Finally I think that we will likely be the 3rd or 4th seed in the playoffs and a bye week seems unlikely unless bad things happen to one of the top AFC remaning contending teams like Denver,Baltimore,San Diego and of course Indianapolis - IMO only if 2 of those 4 goes into a big losing streak can we rise to the first or second seed ....But remember Brady is UNDEFEATED in domes in his career,so is playing in Indianapolis sometime in January really so bad then not having the game in New England?​

The Pats tried to be cute when they didn't need to. Rodney's injury would seem to be all the more reason to keep pounding the ball, the best D against Pay-ton is to keep him off the field.

I have a tough time placing any blame at the officials' feet, we benefited from some calls, so did they. Stupid and/or untimely penalties is another matter.

Overall, Tom played pretty well. You can't really prepare for tipped passes. But a couple balls were of the 'WTF was he thinking?' type. It was just one of those off-days, which unfortunately happened with the whole football world watching to see if it lived up to the hype.

While blasphemous, it's hard to argue against Pay-ton's improvement play-calling wise and the way he controls the game. We knew he was going to pass, the Pats knew he was going to pass, my grandmother knew he was going to pass and with but a few exceptions he was pretty much able to do as he pleased. If not for a couple Vinatraior shanks, the game could have easily been the whipping that it felt to be.

Re: My assessment of yesterday's game - (Last meeting post)

O.K. lets start out with the most unfortunate thing I have to say - I hate Peyton Manning as much as all of you do here but lets be realistic here for a moment - Peyton is simply the best signal caller in the game today - Yes even better than Brady now - Brady does have all the rings but I think Peyton finally has proven without a shadow of a doubt that after all these years of problems reading good NFL defenses and schemes that he has got it right at this late point in his career - You can't beat Denver and New England back to back especially at their home stadiums without having total control of your offense PLUS a vast knowledge of what the defense has laid out in front of you,I saw something I had never seen before of manning till last night...He was calling audibles and changes at the line of scrimmage adjusting to what the Patriots had laid out in front of him and he made the appropriate changes to destroy the secondary often and all night..It IS a big change from the old Peyton who used to have that dumbfounded look on his face when the Patriots D set up a wacky formation-Now it appears we can't fool him much anymore. - I know Pats homers here say the same that the Indianapolis Colts will CHOKE again in the playoffs and hopefully they will,BUT it won't be because of Manning and the offense,it will be because their opponent is running roughshod over the Colts D-Line - IMO Manning has finally seen the key to success in winnig a Championship-Now the rest of his team needs to follow suit - I for one am hoping they never do.​
Everyone is asking why did the Patriots forgot the run and did mostly passing when Indy had the worst rushing D in the league? - My take on it is that once Rodney went down with an early first quarter injury in the secondary,BB and staff probably said UH-OH our best secondary guy is down and we can't stop them even more so now and I think that is why they went to the air when it was apparent Dillon and Maroney were doing damage on the ground,Rodney going down with that injury changed the whole offensive scheme for the Patriots,If you think about it,the Patriots prior to the injury to Rodney were running about 60% of the time until he got hurt,I guess they felt the only way to stay competitive was to throw the ball because they knew now that with Rodney gone that Peyton was going to light up the secondary like a Christmas Tree-Much like last year..And they were right​
Rodney's injury might have been the final DOOM in this game for the Pats before the 2nd quarter actually began,no matter what turnovers we had,Rodney missing from the game gave the Colts much easier ways to score without a doubt-those Colt receivers had absolutely no fear with any passing patterns that they executed and to perfection I must say.​
I would not blame Brady for this loss,In fact I think he played a game good enough to have won this one but you simply cannot plan for tipped ball interceptions,the Colts players were in the right place at the right time and no matter how hard you practice during the week and no matter how hard you play,things like this happen....It just happened to be a major reason why we lost the game but overall I think the offense was moving very well all night,even though the run game would have possibly been the diffrence maker as Madden was saying about 100 times last night that if we had just continued to run we would have had a better chance to keep Manning and Company on the sidelines,hence a much tougher game for the Colts to win.​
I was paying close attention to Tedi Bruschi last night and he just did not seem to be the Tedi of old...I hope age is not catching up with him but those tight ends of Indy were catching critical third down conversions all night,That is usually where Tedi was so special at,years ago those TEs would have been shut down by him but he could not keep up with the speed and patterns of those guys...Lets hope it was just a bad game for him and not a 'getting older' thing.​
I think stupid calls from the officials and Defensive penalties were also a big factor,Those Defensive pass interference penalties were way too often,If our guys can't keep up with speed receivers in the playoffs without causing serious infractions and giving continuous first downs to the opposition then we will be in trouble...We need to keep those to a minimum when playing top offenses when the playoffs begin - When you have 80+ yards in penalties in a game you will LOSE 90% of the time,whether it was a refs blunder or not.​
Finally I think that we will likely be the 3rd or 4th seed in the playoffs and a bye week seems unlikely unless bad things happen to one of the top AFC remaning contending teams like Denver,Baltimore,San Diego and of course Indianapolis - IMO only if 2 of those 4 goes into a big losing streak can we rise to the first or second seed ....But remember Brady is UNDEFEATED in domes in his career,so is playing in Indianapolis sometime in January really so bad then not having the game in New England?​

I stick with what I said earlier this year as above- and don't think the game in Indy is so bad,Deep inside I was expecting this to happen

yawn.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back