PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My 4 with 9 days to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brandon Graham. IMO he's going to be the best pass rushing OLB this draft will produce.

Tyson Alualu. Love the intensity. He's not as physically dominating as Ngata, but he's similar in the way they play.

Dexter McCluster. Can play out of the backfield and also be a legit reciever. This little dude's gonna be an impact player.

Damian Williams. I don't know why he's not getting a lot more hype, but from what I saw, he can make an impact right away. He kinda reminds me of Hakeem Nicks.

I like the way you are thinking. My 4 right now are:

22 Brandon Graham
44 Tyson Alualu
47 Best WR available Tate, Benn, Gilyard, Roberts, Williams in that order.
53 Wootton/Sapp/Worilds in that order, whoever is available.

We address the needs at SOLB, DE, WR and WOLB/DE/pass rusher. Based on my track record, there is no chance BB takes any of these. Now that I've gone on record, the pats will go TE, CB, S and trade out of 1 second. Cody is my binkie but I can't see the Pats going that route.

Last edited:

22 Brandon Graham
44 Tyson Alualu

We address the needs at SOLB, DE, WR and WOLB/DE/pass rusher. Based on my track record, there is no chance BB takes any of these. Now that I've gone on record, the pats will go TE, CB, S and trade out of 1 second. Cody is my binkie but I can't see the Pats going that route.

Worst case scenario for me is a combination of these: Gresham, Mays, Gerhart, or Tebow. Gresham is a good TE, but will be underutilized and wasted here in NE. Mays can't cover to save his life and we already have an in-the-box safety in Chung. Gerhart and Tebow are not worth a first or second round pick.

Last edited:
1. Mathews - just a gut feeling
2a. Benn or Decker
2b. Bowman
2c. Troup or Aluala

22 Brandon Graham
44 Tyson Alualu

If the Pats stay put and make these picks, I would be very pleased with your selections. As many here are, I am expecting trades, whether up or down, to have a huge impact, however.

This is a huge misconception that most Pats fans believe in. While we didn't have and "big stars" on offense, we had some huge ones on defense: Ty Law, Willie McGinest, Richard Seymour, Rodney Harrison, Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi. We won because we were a tough-minded, physical team, who knew how to come up with the big play when needed. We don't many of these caliber players on defense anymore. Wilfork and Warren are really the only ones. Bodden, Mayo, and Meriweather aren't too far off. In this draft and the next we need to add playmakers to the defensive side of the football. Yes, we need "solid" contributors too. A guy like Willie was a perfect example of someone that play in and play out was "solid," while at the same time always coming up with the big play in a clutch situation.

All in all, we need playmakers, especially on the defensive side of the football.

Vrable and Harrison were castoffs, McGinest was considered injury prone, Bruschi was considered a square peg in a round hole (small DE playing ILB) and the Seymour pick was universally condemned. You can look back now and say those guys were stars however if this board had existed heading into the 2001 season and our major pickups were Phifer,Vrable, Smith, Hamilton etc. the natives would have been restless.

The point I was making was that the "backbone" of the team needs to be reformed with solid players 1-53, this team is not one or two megadeals away from being a superpower again.

22. Dez Bryant
44. Jerry Hughes
47. Ricky Sapp
53. Alex Carrington

#22 Jared Odrick DT/DE, Penn St - Unquestionable favorite here. BB likes to build his line with 1st's (Wilfork, Seymour, Warren and McGinest). In the 3-4 he would serve as an end. Big kid, great against the run. I know a lot of people want want to address the lack of a pass rush, but I'd love to see us use the 22 on Odrick. I'd love to grab Jason Pierre-Paul, but its very unlikely hes going to be there at 22. Hes sort of a 1 year wonder anyways, but oozes potential (He can do a backflip in pads!) If Odrick isn't here, I wouldn't be real sad if we grabbed Sergio Kindle or Everson Griffin.
#44 Kareem Jackson CB, Alabama - I know what you're thinking.. "What, a CB right now, are you nuts!" But hear me out. This draft is loaded with CB promise. Most of these guys recieved 1st round grades, and would be 1st rounders in other years. This is more of a value pick. I know we have Butler, Bodden, Wheatley, Wilhite.. But the group of 2nd round CB's are too tempting to pass up. I would feel comfortable with Jackson, Ghee, Spievey or Cook in the 2nd. I'd be very open to saying (Instead lets take Damien Williams at 44 and grab maybe Spievey at 53). I'd say lets grab Hughes here and turn up the heat on the opposing QB, but hes more of a situational pass rusher, and we already have Tully Banta-Cain. Many other ideas could work here.. WR especially.
#47 Damian Williams WR, USC - We really, really have to work on our WR corp, and this is a great place to start. Bryant, Tate and Benn will already be off the board IMHO, so its down to Williams and Demaryius Thomas. Im so tempted to put Thomas here. He gushes potential. He has great size at 6-3, 224. His problem is he drops too many balls, runs poor routes and was in a questionable offense at Georgia Tech. Williams on the other hand excells at those things. Williams is very polished and may be the most NFL ready of all the WR's. On the other hand, I'd be happy with Thomas.
#53 Jason Worilds DE/OLB Virgina Tech- Time to get after the opposing QB here. We need some type of Pass rush for sure, its blantantly obvious. Some definate negatives here. Worilds, like a lot of prospects are Juniors, and BB said himself it can be tough to scout Juniors sometimes. Also injury history with Worilds. However hes very talented and productive. Another name to look for at this pick would be Alex Carrington, who I like a lot. Maybe we take him if we get Sergio Kindle or somehow grab Pierre-Paul? Worth throwing in there nonetheless. Vladimir Ducasse is worth looking into. Has a lot of O-line vestitility.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading :D

Hughes OLB TCU
Williams WR USC
Gronkowski TE AZ. St.
Dixon RB Miss. St.

I had picked Kindle, Best, and Gronkowski as my top three, then I saw Kiper's mock :eek:

With a strike/lockout looming in 2011 I think the Pats change their M.O. a bit and draft more based on need and take guys capable of making an immediate impact on day one. That's what I'm hoping for anyway, meaning it will never happen. :bricks:

Interesting. Thank you. I still see him as a DE in our system at the same weight as Green but a lot younger. Would you send a #2?
DW Toys

DW sorry for my delayed reply. In a vacuum I would send a #2 for Edwards--I do agree with you that he could exceed Jarvis Green's production, and he's worth a 2nd round choice if he's on this year's board--but when I factor in that he'll need a big payday, and that this year's draft is loaded with younger, cheaper players, I get a little weary. I like Edwards and can see him performing well in pass rush roles, but I'd rather, um, stay pat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft