PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MVP Race is a toss up between Brady, Ryan, Rodgers and Elliott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan is a gonna win it. He has the best numbers on a top 2 seed anchoring a historically great offense
It's kind of "his turn" too. It'll be a nice consolation prize when his team flops in the playoffs...again.

But the Falcons would be nothing without Ryan. Had a better season than Rodgers in all the stat departments except for TDs.
Ryan only suffers because he isn't the new NFL poster child Rodgers.

Yeah, can't argue with you. Matt Ryan had a terrific year and is just as if not more deserving than Rodgers (because of overall record).

saw john lynch on tv on cowherd's show. they were discussing mvp votes (lynch has one) and the debate was between rodgers and ryan.

Shows on NFLN and ESPN had it between Brady and Ryan, with Elliot generally running third.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Rodgers isn't even a legit top 5 candidate.

And that's fine. This year specifically there were many great options between Carr, Ryan, Brady, Rodgers, Elliot, and Prescott so I agree that you could make an argument for him not being in the top 5.

Personally, I see a QB threw 40 TDs en route to carrying a team with terrible defense and a below average running game to the playoffs. I think that does put him in the top 5 (top 1/2 in fact) but that's just my opinion.

Brady might have sat out 4 games for the capitol crime of the NFL Can Never Have Egg On Its Face, but unlike Ryan, he did not throw any interceptions that ended up costing his team the game. Ryan did this three times.

There are 3 games that that Ryan arguably did that: the Chiefs, Seattle and the Chargers. I'll give you the Chiefs, but the Seattle game is BS. Ryan hit Julio right in the hands and he popped the ball up to be intercepted. After Seattle scored, Ryan hit Julio right in stride on a deep pass, but Richard Sherman got away with a blatant pass interference on fourth down which would have given Atlanta a great chance to kick a field goal and win. As for San Diego he threw one interception in a game that went into overtime. Atlanta lost because they went for a fourth and one in overtime on their own 43 and Freeman got stuffed.

You posted videos of interceptions against Carolina and the Raiders. Atlanta swept the Panthers by margins of 15 and 17 and beat Oakland on the road by 7. I'm not sure how those interceptions constitute him "costing his team the game" when they actually won.

Shows on NFLN and ESPN

1438.gif~c200

:)

Give it to matt ryan. the mvp never wins the super bowl the same year.

Ryan played 7 road games outdoors..... ATL averaged 30.5 points
Brady played 7 road games outdoors....NE averaged 29.1 points
Ryan had 19 TD passes away
Brady had 18 TD passes away (7 games)
Ryan passer rating on grass......116
Brady passer rating on grass.....113
Ryan passer rating on turf.......116
Brady passer rating on turf....111
Ryan passer rating outdoors...114
Brady passer rating outdoors...112
Ryan passes thrown with temps <40 degrees....0
Brady passes thrown with temps <40 degrees....145

Ryan / Brady passer rating vs. common opponents ( * = road game)
--Denver 98 * / 68.2 *
--Seattle 102 * / 90.1
--SF 144 / 114.6 *
--STL 118 * /93.5
ATL and NE were both 3-1 vs common opponents

No question, Atlanta had a warm weather/climate controlled schedule and every stat comparison is not apples to apples. HOWEVER....the common opponent stats are revealing, especially given Ryan's success on the road verses these common opponents.

I've seen the common opponent thing before. I know at least in SF it was a rainstorm for a half and Denver was sub zero nearly. That has a bit to do with ratings etc.

Playing outdoors on a clear sunny day with near zero wind isn't much different than a dome. It's the elements and I bet it wasn't bad weather for those games.

Brady is the best.

The Pats would still win lots of games without him.

With Rogers, Green Bay would suck. Truly suck.

Probably the same is true for Atlanta.

Besides the individual stats.....

Atlanta scored 108 more points than GB (99 more than NE)
Atlanta won head to head vs. GB
Atlanta finished with a better record and higher seed than GB, despite having a marginally worse defense than GB to compensate for.

There are 3 games that that Ryan arguably did that: the Chiefs, Seattle and the Chargers. I'll give you the Chiefs, but the Seattle game is BS. Ryan hit Julio right in the hands and he popped the ball up to be intercepted. After Seattle scored, Ryan hit Julio right in stride on a deep pass, but Richard Sherman got away with a blatant pass interference on fourth down which would have given Atlanta a great chance to kick a field goal and win. As for San Diego he threw one interception in a game that went into overtime. Atlanta lost because they went for a fourth and one in overtime on their own 43 and Freeman got stuffed.

You posted videos of interceptions against Carolina and the Raiders. Atlanta swept the Panthers by margins of 15 and 17 and beat Oakland on the road by 7. I'm not sure how those interceptions constitute him "costing his team the game" when they actually won.

Those all weren't examples of Ryan's game costing interceptions just examples of interceptions that came up on Google (I'd like to thank the NFL for being so goddamn proprietary when it comes to forbidding anyone the right to show even a few seconds of gameplay).

That said, you are welcome to show us any equivalent example of a Brady interception that cost them a game.

But since Brady has thrown only 2 interceptions this year...

..and only lost one game all year...

...your choices are a little limited.

EDIT: For what little its worth, I've long asked for/wanted Interceptions to be divided into No-Fault/Fault categories similar to how PFF does with Incompletions (which they at least try to recognize and divide out receiver drops and throw-aways). Clearly not every interception is the quarterbacks fault, but the fact remains, Ryan has thrown 3 interceptions at the end of games that cost them the game. Brady hasn't.

Its just my opinion that this and setting the NFL record for TD/Interception ratio should at the very least put Brady at 1b in MVP talks.

Last edited:
Hey, I never said he did. Moreover, I hope Tommy wins the MVP. I was just disagreeing with the idea that Matt threw interceptions that cost his team 3 games. If Brady doesn't win I hope it's Ryan.

Shows on NFLN and ESPN had it between Brady and Ryan, with Elliot generally running third.
Today ESPN had brady vs rodgers on its shows.

Brady is the best.

The Pats would still win lots of games without him.

With Rogers, Green Bay would suck. Truly suck.

Probably the same is true for Atlanta.
Define a lot of games - 8, 9, 10?
Last time that didn't have Brady, they went from the best regular season team ever at 16-0 to 11-5. If Brady is worth 3 to 5 wins, that takes this year's Pats' team from 14 - 2 to 11-5 at best and 9-7 at worst.
I would think we could meet in the middle and say the Pats are probably a 10 win team without Brady this year.
I do not want to speculate on what GB or ATL would do without their respective signal callers, but that is more an indictment of BB being so strong at adapting.

The bottom line is that Rodgers, Ryan, and Brady are all deserving which makes the conversation so much fun.

I believe the reality though will have the award going to Rodgers. There is an annual debate over what the MVP award really means. One side says it should go the player with the best stats on a playoff team. The other debate goes with the literal "Most Valuable" to the team (in which a player could lose points for being on a stacked team).

IN this case, I think Rogers meats both criteria.........he has the best stats and is the most valuable to the team. Green Bray would be nothing without Rogers. Brady has Belichick to blame for this, but the Pats were 3-1 without Brady which certainly hurts his case.
And you seriously think Atlanta wouldn't crumble without Ryan?

There is something wrong with the league if Zeke gets it. He is far from being the best rb in the league, and we want to give him an award over a much more important position??? The gaping holes he has to run through are enormous!!!

Anyway imo. It's between Ryan, Rogers and Brady. The latter two are by far the better players, and Brady has the best numbers on a per outing contest between him and Rogers. So he's been the best pure player in the league. However, its an MvP award, and there Brady suffers b/c he automatically contributed zero to a quarter of the season, and b/c the teams actually did pretty well when he wasnt there. Rogers could get it just by how spectacular the climb out of hell was and how much he carried his team during that time, on the other hand he had a number of really bad games early in the season.

So I would say its between Ryan and Brady, with either choice being ok to me. Clearly Brady would have won if he had those extra 4 games, but there is no denying how good and how consistent Ryan has been this year.. So... tossup.

Ryan is 11-5 winning 68% of his games
Brady is 11-1, winning 91% of his games
The 4 extra games Ryan had were all losses

Winning is the most important stat, and Brady won just as many games with 4 less chances, giving him a much higher win percentage.

Then there is the whole deflategate being a total sham of a witch hunt, which, when PIT recently got "caught" with deflated balls, Mara, perhaps THE driving force behind crucifying Brady and the Pats for the same exact thing, claims it to be "much ado about nothing"

I know Brady surely cares a LOT more about winning his 5th SB, but he is certainly bitter about what happened to him and his reputation and I'd bet that he WOULD like to pick up the MVP award in addition to another ring, particularly this year, though he'd never admit it.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Rodgers isn't even a legit top 5 candidate.

You can say that all you like, but about 75% of the NFL world thinks you're completely wrong in your opinion. Rating Dak and Carr and Elliot squarely above Rodgers is....laughable.

That said, my vote goes to Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back