PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MVP Race is a toss up between Brady, Ryan, Rodgers and Elliott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was checking the stats earlier looking at the pass/run splits inside the 5. Some examples:

Packers - 66/34

Falcons - 45/55

Patriots - 32/68

stat padding twat
Exactly.

ATL had 20 rushing TDs. Pats 19. GB...11

I'm OK with Matty Ice winning it.

If Rodgers wins it it'll be a joke.

I get that Goodell probably screwed over Brady on the MVP, although the official voters tend to put a lot of weight on winning and securing a top seed, so I'm not convinced he is out. I think it will be a very close race. However, can someone please explain to me a single logical argument that Aaron Rodgers should win the award over Matt Ryan? Where exactly does he have an advantage? Ryan faced similar issues with a lackluster defense, played a tougher schedule, won more games, and was better statistically by a landslide. If Rodgers wins the MVP, it's due to another Midwest loud screaming campaign, similar to the Peyton Manning years, where it's basically a PR campaign based around some new MVP theme, this time being a dumb catch phrase. Remarkable that Rodgers "ran the table!!!" Well, Brady won his last seven games, not his last six. Many 10-6 teams don't even qualify for the playoffs. This is just like Manning, and I'm already seeing Green Bay writers with their "he's deserving of it" talk while minimizing that other players are MORE deserving. I've seen this movie with the Colts and Manning enough times to know how it ends...

The disqualifier for Ryan?

9 games in a dome vs zero for TB.

That NEVER gets the play it should. It's a massive advantage.

Ryan played 7 road games outdoors..... ATL averaged 30.5 points
Brady played 7 road games outdoors....NE averaged 29.1 points
Ryan had 19 TD passes away
Brady had 18 TD passes away (7 games)
Ryan passer rating on grass......116
Brady passer rating on grass.....113
Ryan passer rating on turf.......116
Brady passer rating on turf....111
Ryan passer rating outdoors...114
Brady passer rating outdoors...112
Ryan passes thrown with temps <40 degrees....0
Brady passes thrown with temps <40 degrees....145

Ryan / Brady passer rating vs. common opponents ( * = road game)
--Denver 98 * / 68.2 *
--Seattle 102 * / 90.1
--SF 144 / 114.6 *
--STL 118 * /93.5
ATL and NE were both 3-1 vs common opponents

No question, Atlanta had a warm weather/climate controlled schedule and every stat comparison is not apples to apples. HOWEVER....the common opponent stats are revealing, especially given Ryan's success on the road verses these common opponents.

Yes, lets not have any mention of interceptions when talking up the "I'm not a homer" pick :)

Snark aside, I dont disagree that Ryan is absolutely deserving of MVP consideration. I don't have any problem with people voting for him. But leaving off Brady's incredible interception ratio as you compare stats is a bit disingenuous.

Brady might have sat out 4 games for the capitol crime of the NFL Can Never Have Egg On Its Face, but unlike Ryan, he did not throw any interceptions that ended up costing his team the game. Ryan did this three times.

Last edited:
Was checking the stats earlier looking at the pass/run splits inside the 5. Some examples:

Packers - 66/34

Falcons - 45/55

Patriots - 32/68

stat padding twat

That confirms what I thought I had been seeing. I know it's petty, but it annoys me to see Rodgers throw the ball three straight times inside the ten and then hear everyone praise him for his number of TD passes.

I think it's a good thing we run the ball so much on the goal line. A happy Blount is a productive Blount.

Aw patriot fans with no running game in the past we've been down the road of Brady throwing 3 straight times inside the 10

Those years we didn't win superbowls.

Peyton had atleast 15 seasons of years like that

Matt ryan may be one and done. Rodgers too

I'm taking Brady and our team chances over theirs.

Packers - 66/34

Falcons - 45/55

Patriots - 32/68

stat padding twat
So you were annoyed when BB left brady in the 4th Q in 2007 when we were blowing teams out 52-0 etc etc ? I dont get the fascination of this stat of throwing inside the 5 or 10 yard line. Should you be more classy and not throw the ball in the 5 just so that the other team gets a better chance to stop you ? Why dont we just tell the other team we are running the ball inside the 5 ? I personally never had a problem when manning supposedly did it or when rodgers or anyone does it. In BB's words -"The job of the offense is to put the ball in the endzone, running/throwing whatever".

That confirms what I thought I had been seeing. I know it's petty, but it annoys me to see Rodgers throw the ball three straight times inside the ten and then hear everyone praise him for his number of TD passes.

I think it's a good thing we run the ball so much on the goal line. A happy Blount is a productive Blount.
They have a WR converted RB. When your best chance to score is your QB and a mobile QB in that, you putting the ball in his hands is not a bad or unclassy move.

I get that Goodell probably screwed over Brady on the MVP, although the official voters tend to put a lot of weight on winning and securing a top seed, so I'm not convinced he is out. I think it will be a very close race. However, can someone please explain to me a single logical argument that Aaron Rodgers should win the award over Matt Ryan? Where exactly does he have an advantage? Ryan faced similar issues with a lackluster defense, played a tougher schedule, won more games, and was better statistically by a landslide. If Rodgers wins the MVP, it's due to another Midwest loud screaming campaign, similar to the Peyton Manning years, where it's basically a PR campaign based around some new MVP theme, this time being a dumb catch phrase. Remarkable that Rodgers "ran the table!!!" Well, Brady won his last seven games, not his last six. Many 10-6 teams don't even qualify for the playoffs. This is just like Manning, and I'm already seeing Green Bay writers with their "he's deserving of it" talk while minimizing that other players are MORE deserving. I've seen this movie with the Colts and Manning enough times to know how it ends...
I guess we can disagree but the colts/manning movie was more nauseating."sheriff", "offensive coordinator on the field" etc etc were just too much.
The "Run the table" is something he said which the media ran with it. ITs annoying the same way other team fans find "Do your job" or "Patriot way" terms annoying . GB defense is downright terrible. But rodgers run in the last few weeks has coincided with their defense playing better just as brady has benefitted with a much better defense after the seattle game. Thats why these awards in a team game are something i never understood. Regarding rodgers himself, a lot of people where calling him fading when their team was fading but 40 TD's and 7 INT's is not fading. That is really not a very good GB team in terms of weapons or coaching. This is all him , just like 2006 brady.

Based on reading several articles this morning (especially BR) it seems that the general tenor is that Aaron Rodgers is the MVP and deserves more than anyone else.
I would vote for Ryan as he has the best stats for the second best team in the NFC.
I think Tom Brady played quarterback better than anyone in the NFL this year, but Ryan played well enough in the extra 4 games to earn the MVP.
Rodgers was the third best QB in the league this year (slightly ahead of Dak).
I know Rodgers called his shot, but he loses to Ryan on all the counting stats except for TDs. I really think Ryan deserves it this year (even if he goes one and done in the playoffs).
I mean that 9.26 yds/att is just amazing.

Packers - 66/34
Falcons - 45/55
Patriots - 32/68

stat padding twat

That pisses me off. I went back and looked at 2012, too. Patriots scored 557 points to GB's 433. They also had 25 rushing TD's to GB's 9. Rodgers had 39 TD's to Brady's 34. Yet there wasn't even mention of Brady being in the MVP race.

I guess we can disagree but the colts/manning movie was more nauseating."sheriff", "offensive coordinator on the field" etc etc were just too much.
The "Run the table" is something he said which the media ran with it. ITs annoying the same way other team fans find "Do your job" or "Patriot way" terms annoying . GB defense is downright terrible. But rodgers run in the last few weeks has coincided with their defense playing better just as brady has benefitted with a much better defense after the seattle game. Thats why these awards in a team game are something i never understood. Regarding rodgers himself, a lot of people where calling him fading when their team was fading but 40 TD's and 7 INT's is not fading. That is really not a very good GB team in terms of weapons or coaching. This is all him , just like 2006 brady.
The 2006 Patriots went 12-4 and that team had a lot less offensive talent than this year's Packers team. Brady's leading receiver was Caldwell.

The bottom line is that Rodgers, Ryan, and Brady are all deserving which makes the conversation so much fun.

I believe the reality though will have the award going to Rodgers. There is an annual debate over what the MVP award really means. One side says it should go the player with the best stats on a playoff team. The other debate goes with the literal "Most Valuable" to the team (in which a player could lose points for being on a stacked team).

IN this case, I think Rogers meats both criteria.........he has the best stats and is the most valuable to the team. Green Bray would be nothing without Rogers. Brady has Belichick to blame for this, but the Pats were 3-1 without Brady which certainly hurts his case.

The bottom line is that Rodgers, Ryan, and Brady are all deserving which makes the conversation so much fun.

I believe the reality though will have the award going to Rodgers. There is an annual debate over what the MVP award really means. One side says it should go the player with the best stats on a playoff team. The other debate goes with the literal "Most Valuable" to the team (in which a player could lose points for being on a stacked team).

IN this case, I think Rogers meats both criteria.........he has the best stats and is the most valuable to the team. Green Bray would be nothing without Rogers. Brady has Belichick to blame for this, but the Pats were 3-1 without Brady which certainly hurts his case.
But the Falcons would be nothing without Ryan. Had a better season than Rodgers in all the stat departments except for TDs.
Ryan only suffers because he isn't the new NFL poster child Rodgers.

ABTB. Anybody but Tom Brady.

The damn award's a jinx.

Give it to one of the guys on an NFC Team that might make it to the SB. It'll make a nice consolation prize when Brady wins his fifth Lombardi and four SB MVP.

Last edited:

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Rodgers isn't even a legit top 5 candidate.

They have a WR converted RB. When your best chance to score is your QB and a mobile QB in that, you putting the ball in his hands is not a bad or unclassy move.

They weren't running it in with a healthy Lacy earlier in the season either. In 5 games, 360 yards, 0 TDs from a 235 lb RB. Like I said, I admit I'm being petty, but it's generally been my impression that Rodgers likes padding his stats and the team complies.

As for 2007, the Pats clearly ran up scores and padded stats. It was a big FU tour to the rest of the league for calling them cheaters over something that should never have been a big deal.

saw john lynch on tv on cowherd's show. they were discussing mvp votes (lynch has one) and the debate was between rodgers and ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back