PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Must Win Game on Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we were facing the Colts this week with the defense playing the way it is, I would be worried. The Dolphins will put up points, but we have the better offense and will put up more.

Off the Grid, you think it was a stupid point? I consider this amusing considering the sheer quantities of stupid that comes from you.

Really? Feel free to link to these "sheer quantities of stupid", as you so eloquently put it. I won't hold my breath. :rolleyes:

One thing's beyond dispute: I at least get my facts straight, before running off at the mouth ~ or keyboard.

That...makes ONE of us. :eek:

Albeit I forgot about the Bills game when I made that post, my claim remains the same.

Yes: FALSE. :bricks: :singing: :singing: :bricks:

No, but I do feel the phrase "must win game" is the single most overused cliche in all of sports.
But they're not 2 games behind each of them; they're 1 game behind each of them (assuming NY beats Buffalo, which I wouldn't take for granted). I know you're saying 2 because of the tie breaker but since they still get to play another game against each Miami and NY (both at home), you can't just give the tiebreaker to Miami and NY so soon.

So uh, 1 game down with 12 to play..? I gotta say I think that is something which can be overcome.

Well I look at it being not only 1 game behind in W/L but also Jets would be 3-0(assuming they win) in the division. Miami 2-1, and the Pats 1-2. Also knowing that you can not win the head to head tiebreak with either team is tough. So I do think this is a must win game for the division only.

Off the Grid, you think it was a stupid point? I consider this amusing considering the sheer quantities of stupid that comes from you.
Unintentional humor is always the best.

Besides, you have to admit that saying the Pats didn't win any away games in 2008 without Brady in the game wasn't exactly brilliant.

Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems as if the whole "Pats have a tough schedule" angle is being overplayed just a little bit. The Jets and Dolphins have the same schedule with the exception of two games. Granted in those two remaining games the Pats are playing two 2009 first place teams, as opposed to two 2nd and 3rd place teams, but 88% of the schedule is the same as their division opponents.

Another thing to remember is that nearly every year we see teams with "easy" schedules have trouble (e.g., Steelers in 2009) or teams with "tough" schedules succeed (e.g., Steelers in 2008), as well as schedules that appeared to be tough turn out to be not that difficult and visa versa.

I like this post, and this atitude because it is the way Football is.

I might be alone on this but I am more worried about seeing the Browns on the road than Indy or Bal at home, because it is a trap game and everyone is going crazy off reputations, 'OMG Indy and Pits and Bal we can never beat them'. We have several times this decade, hell in 07 we struggled to a bad Eagles team and blew out a solid Steelers team. Every year we see teams with good rep fail to deliver and teams with bad rep go nuts.

Again I might be alone on this one but I fully expect us to whoop Indy and Baltimore, Minny and Cleveland are sleeper games that I see more fear from. Sanchez turned into Peyton 2 weeks ago, what is to say Peyton doesn't turn into Sanchez, last year we picked him twice and our offense lost the game thanks to showing off, at home I am not afraid of Peyton, yes we haven't won since 04 but outside of Pittsburgh these teams we fear haven't been running through the NFL either, its fair game and I expect 12 wins if anything.

I like this post, and this atitude because it is the way Football is.

I might be alone on this but I am more worried about seeing the Browns on the road than Indy or Bal at home, because it is a trap game and everyone is going crazy off reputations, 'OMG Indy and Pits and Bal we can never beat them'. We have several times this decade, hell in 07 we struggled to a bad Eagles team and blew out a solid Steelers team. Every year we see teams with good rep fail to deliver and teams with bad rep go nuts.

Again I might be alone on this one but I fully expect us to whoop Indy and Baltimore, Minny and Cleveland are sleeper games that I see more fear from. Sanchez turned into Peyton 2 weeks ago, what is to say Peyton doesn't turn into Sanchez, last year we picked him twice and our offense lost the game thanks to showing off, at home I am not afraid of Peyton, yes we haven't won since 04 but outside of Pittsburgh these teams we fear haven't been running through the NFL either, its fair game and I expect 12 wins if anything.

DutchOvenMaster...You see much that is not seen. :cool:

Well I look at it being not only 1 game behind in W/L but also Jets would be 3-0(assuming they win) in the division. Miami 2-1, and the Pats 1-2. Also knowing that you can not win the head to head tiebreak with either team is tough. So I do think this is a must win game for the division only.

Or, here me out, we could win more OVERALL games than the Jets/Phins and win the division :eek:

Is it me or do you guys feel that this is a must win game on Monday?

If they lose this game then the Jets and Dolphins will Both be 3-1 and the Patriots will be 2-2 essentially 2 games behind each of them. I know its early to call this, but I feel that if they win this game they go to the playoffs. If they don't then they miss the playoffs. Simple as that. Anyone else feel this way?

No. It's not a must win game. But it is important. If the Pats don't win this, they would be 1-2 in the division. And that's not a good start. But there would still be 3 division games remaining after. Obviously it is better to squish the fish right now but in the big picture I don't think we need to overstress the importance of 1 game.

Or, here me out, we could win more OVERALL games than the Jets/Phins and win the division :eek:

Yep you could. Or it could be like 2008 where a early division game loss to Miami was the reason Pats did not win the division or make the playoffs.

One interesting component of this year's schedule. The NFL wanted to avoid scenarios such as what happened at the end of last season when a playoff contender faced teams that had already clinched and didn't care if they won or lost, so they re-arranged the schedule to include only division games at the end of the year. However as a result of doing that, combined with keeping a lot of division games on at the beginning of the schedule, there will be no games between division teams for more than two months - not until the Pats and Jets meet in December.

Seems really odd not only for the Pats to go that long without a division game, but for there to not be a single game between any two AFC East teams for that length of time.

Last edited:
Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems as if the whole "Pats have a tough schedule" angle is being overplayed just a little bit. The Jets and Dolphins have the same schedule with the exception of two games. Granted in those two remaining games the Pats are playing two 2009 first place teams, as opposed to two 2nd and 3rd place teams, but 88% of the schedule is the same as their division opponents.

Another thing to remember is that nearly every year we see teams with "easy" schedules have trouble (e.g., Steelers in 2009) or teams with "tough" schedules succeed (e.g., Steelers in 2008), as well as schedules that appeared to be tough turn out to be not that difficult and visa versa.

i agree about us having almost the same schedule as the jets and fins but i think when you play them also helps.jets for e.g now have 2 very easy winnable games @Buf and then Min and @Den so the win in miami was huge for them. they play GB in the middle but then play detriot and cleveland back to back. so their schedule kind of allows to them get back up after a possible tough out a little easier compared to ours it looks like.

i agree about us having almost the same schedule as the jets and fins but i think when you play them also helps.jets for e.g now have 2 very easy winnable games @Buf and then Min and @Den so the win in miami was huge for them. they play GB in the middle but then play detriot and cleveland back to back. so their schedule kind of allows to them get back up after a possible tough out a little easier compared to ours it looks like.

We can all hope that the jets collapse like they have done for the past 40 years.

I would like to think this is a must win game for us on Monday night. If we can prove that we can win a divisional road game, it will go a long way with our developing team.

The thing that does worry me is the maturity of some of these rookies that will be performing for the first time in Prime Time National TV

These rookies probably watched MNF for years but now are a part of it

I would hope that the glamour and bright lights of the national telecast does not go to thier heads and they do something stupid or try too hard to be a 'star' and make a mistake that is costly.

The thing that does worry me is the maturity of some of these rookies that will be performing for the first time in Prime Time National TV

These rookies probably watched MNF for years but now are a part of it

I would hope that the glamour and bright lights of the national telecast does not go to thier heads and they do something stupid or try too hard to be a 'star' and make a mistake that is costly.

I would hope that the few vets on the team will remind them of this and keep them in check.

Is it Monday yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft