PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mort: Chargers shopping Cromartie for RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sources: Chargers shopping Cromartie for RB

One place I don't want to see this guy go: the Jets.

Now the Jets wouldn't trade Shonn Greene for him and no one would want Thomas Jones, but I believe the Jets have a 2nd rounder this year. They could trade that to acquire Cromartie.

The Jets are always chasing after the big name players even after they've had a few down years (Braylon Edwards, Lito Sheppard). They're always around the rumors with big name players like Marshall and Bowe and Favre.

I wouldn't want to see a tandem of Revis-Cromartie if I was NE. I don't think it will happen b/c Rex Ryan likes really physical players and Cromartie's tackling woes would not sit well with him, but I could see the Jets possibly being in the mix.

If Bodden walks, I think Cromartie would be a more than adequate replacement for him.

Now the Jets wouldn't trade Shonn Greene for him and no one would want Thomas Jones, but I believe the Jets have a 2nd rounder this year. They could trade that to acquire Cromartie.

The Jets are always chasing after the big name players even after they've had a few down years (Braylon Edwards, Lito Sheppard). They're always around the rumors with big name players like Marshall and Bowe and Favre.

I wouldn't want to see a tandem of Revis-Cromartie if I was NE. I don't think it will happen b/c Rex Ryan likes really physical players and Cromartie's tackling woes would not sit well with him, but I could see the Jets possibly being in the mix.

If Bodden walks, I think Cromartie would be a more than adequate replacement for him.

I would take Thomas Jones for a couple of years.

Shon Greene looks like the future for the NYJ.

Thomas Jones is a very good RB who didn't take much of a beating early in his career, so he could have a couple of near-peak years left.

And if the Jets want to trade away one of the few draft picks that they have (remember, they can't sign FAs until/unless guys like Washington leave) for Cromartie, then I'm totally fine with that. Their roster is already hurting for depth, and that's not a problem that you fix by trading away the few picks that you have for the Braylon Edwards, Lito Sheppards, and Antonio Cromarties of the world. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

Last edited:

How is that possible, he is always injured and cannot cover or play the run.

are you saying bodden is always injured and cannot cover or ply the run so we will not notice it.

Straight up for that bag of donuts, Maroney? YES PLEASE! Seriously folks, addition by subtraction....plus, AC is probably better than anyone on the Pats roster with the exception of Bodden...who may not be a Pat for long.

I see this both ways but nobody says anything about the JS "welcome to the end zone party" for Adai in the 06 Playoff Game. I cannot stomach JS since that CS move. I know how the SD fan feels. Look at :26 and 1:18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxuR7Ag_5qc&feature=related

I think the Pats DB's invented a new art form of missing tackles in 2009. They say AC actually had a decent year in 09 so let's not play that missing tackle game.

As most (I say most IMO) here agree getting something for Maroney is better than nothing. Both have flaws. I'd take Cromartie. Samuel never had to wash his uniform here either but was a great playmaker. Hence Cromartie!

I mentioned this on another post but here goes again from Fox Sports on LMs' Draft. " Not dazzling as an elusive runner, but has exceptional one-cut-and-go ability. Maroney is best when he can reach the corners, where he can utilize his acceleration and burst with more effectiveness. Upright and sometimes overly patient running style". We all blame that bad O-Line for him not hitting the holes, right? Truth be known! Anyone shocked? I think LT was a one cut and go back so Maroney might work for SD.
Good trade for both. Do it!
Worse case scenario he sits in Maroneys' spot on the bench when BB pulls him for "non-hall of fame" type play.
DW Toys

Last edited:

How is that possible, he is always injured and cannot cover or play the run.

are you saying bodden is always injured and cannot cover or ply the run so we will not notice it.

The guy is always hurt? He's played in 16 games every year he's been in the league, playing through a fractured hip in 08 which is his only known major injury that I can recall.

Cromartie's greatest asset is his ability to cover so I don't know where you get off saying he can't cover. He is big, fast, and has good ball skills. He can stay with almost any WR. He's not the most willing tackler in the run game, but let's not kid ourselves neither was Samuel.

I'm not saying Cromartie is going to come in here and light it up 07-esque. But Bodden at 7 million per year or Cromarite at 1.225 million and a RFA in 2011? I'll take my chances on Cromartie.

The one thing that would kill a Thomas Jones for Cromartie trade is that the Jets could not give Cromartie a big new deal that any team trading for him would want to get (a long term deal). Would they trade for Cromartie for just one year and gamble that they could resign him in 2011 if he has a Pro Bowl quality year?

The one thing that would kill a Thomas Jones for Cromartie trade is that the Jets could not give Cromartie a big new deal that any team trading for him would want to get (a long term deal). Would they trade for Cromartie for just one year and gamble that they could resign him in 2011 if he has a Pro Bowl quality year?

Good feedback. I believe Cromartie is a RFA after 2010, based on Reiss' blog, so that would greatly help the Jets.

Maroney vs Chargers - ESPN BOSTON - Patriots Blog
Both Maroney and Cromartie enter the last year of their contracts and would be restricted free agents in an uncapped 2011 season, so that wouldn't be much of a factor.

I'm don't think the Chargers would want an aging Thomas Jones who is unhappy about his contract. At 32, he's about to hit the wall pretty soon and they just went through the LT hitting the wall experience. I could probably see the Jets offering up a 2nd rounder for him though, or maybe a different player.

Too bad we have other teams leftovers at RB...and Maroney. (Faulk isnt going anywhere)

Last edited:

cromartiefb1.jpg

5kkln4.jpg

etc etc etc

Wow... takes a special kind of player to outright mail it in in the playoffs. Yeah, didn't want him before, definitely don't want him now.

Last edited:

The guy is always hurt? He's played in 16 games every year he's been in the league, playing through a fractured hip in 08 which is his only known major injury that I can recall.

Cromartie's greatest asset is his ability to cover so I don't know where you get off saying he can't cover. He is big, fast, and has good ball skills. He can stay with almost any WR. He's not the most willing tackler in the run game, but let's not kid ourselves neither was Samuel.

I'm not saying Cromartie is going to come in here and light it up 07-esque. But Bodden at 7 million per year or Cromarite at 1.225 million and a RFA in 2011? I'll take my chances on Cromartie.

Very good post.
DW Toys

After guys like Duane Starks and Earthwind Moreland you can only go up

I think Cromartie would be an asset to the team but only at the right price

For those who liked Hobbs here,ask yourself...Is Hobbs better than Cromartie?

Last edited:

I've read Charger messageboards, virtually everyone there wants Cromartie gone, especially after his refusal to tackle Greene in the playoff debacle. He seems more interested in Twitter than football and before someone brings up his beast 2007 season, most of his picks occurred when he was a nickelback. Ever since he's taken over as a primary CB his performance hasn't been up to par. I'd much rather keep Bodden and let Butler develop.

I've read Charger messageboards, virtually everyone there wants Cromartie gone, especially after his refusal to tackle Greene in the playoff debacle. He seems more interested in Twitter than football and before someone brings up his beast 2007 season, most of his picks occurred when he was a nickelback. Ever since he's taken over as a primary CB his performance hasn't been up to par. I'd much rather keep Bodden and let Butler develop.

The question is not Bodden or Cro. I think most folks want Bodden back as long as the team still has financial flexibility to do other things (sign Wilfork. Wrap up Brady. Maybe make a play for Peppers, etc.)

The question is what do the Pats do if they cannot strike a deal w/ Bodden.

But to your point, I don't get great vibes from the guy either. With the child support issues, the "twittering", etc...I'd take a chance on him or dish a mid/low level pick or a player like LoMo if BB deems that LoMo will not be with the team in 2011 (see Hobbs).

Last edited:

2010: Free Agent

Faulk will not play a down of football for another team, either we resign him or he retires Imo.

Very good post.
DW Toys
Thanks.
After guys like Duane Starks and Earthwind Moreland you can only go up

I think Cromartie would be an asset to the team but only at the right price

For those who liked Hobbs here,ask yourself...Is Hobbs better than Cromartie?

Agreed. I think Cromartie would be a good asset for us, especially if Bodden isn't retained. And I'd take Cro over Hobbs anyday.

I would trade Maroney for Cromartie in a second.

I wouldn't care if we just used Cromartie in known passing downs.
Let Belichick work with him & we might get lucky.

We already know what we have in MARONEY.
A future dancing with the starts contestant.

Thanks.

Agreed. I think Cromartie would be a good asset for us, especially if Bodden isn't retained. And I'd take Cro over Hobbs anyday.

If Bodden is not retained I am sure the team will bring in a vet...a guy like Cromartie would fit the bill but I am guessing that if Cromartie hits the market he won't be around by the time the team lets Bodden walk. - There will be at least one good savvy vet in the secondary (not counting springs) and I think that vet will remain Bodden.

Last edited:
I think you guys need to remember that whenever Mort says something, it just confirms it won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft