PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More Production From WR's To Make Up For TE's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gronk and Aaron formed probably the best TE duo in the history of the game, it's unlikely we will replicate that. For us to have a dangerous offense, we need a healhty Gronk and maybe another red zone threat. If Gronk is heathy i expect 1000 yards from him and 2700-3000 from our WRs.

I am looking for more yards out the WRs and RBs this year. TEs I will project about the same.

Position WR - 3300 - the most in a long time. I think we move back to more of a WR offense between the 20s ala early 2000s.

Dobson - 1000 (if healthy)
Edelman - 850
Amendola - 700 (but a good 700... He lost a lot of Brady's trust last year but will get it back as time goes on. Basically last season was almost worst case scenario. If healthy he will produce better and he would be very unlucky to get injured in week 1 again and have it linger).
LaFell - 500 - Not a bad year but my predicted Dobson emergence forces him into more of a backup roll
The Field - 250

TE position - 700

Gronk - 600 (will miss first 6 games I think and used more sparingly missing 1 or 2 more games after)
The Field - 100 (this assumes no FA is signed)

RBs - 800

Vereen - 400 (Vereen really showed certain limitation last year that disappointed me. I think he is still the lead catching RBs but White and Finch (I think he makes it) split a lot of reps with him.
White/Finch 400

Total of 4800.

Last edited:
I think the OP is thought provoking, but flawed. My feelings on the offense are much like that on defense. There is far too much effort being wasted on trying to label specific areas of the offense and give them values. The offense is far too interdependent to assign labels either to positions or for yards.

When are people going to FINALLY get it that the offense is far too complex to set aside labels for positions like "slot receiver", #1 WR, #2WR, move TE, and inline TE, etc. We've been watching Josh's offense for 5 or 6 years now and SHOULD by now understand that NONE of those labels matter.

I think we are going to see much more 3 WR sets than in recent years, and despite what the "WR whiners" would have you believe, we have sufficient talent at that position to fill all the needs we to have to succeed in scoring points. You guys remember points don't you. That's the object of offense, NOT getting yds. :rolleyes:

I see a more fluid offensive system where we will constantly see WR's interchange positions all the time. DA in the slot, DA wide. Dobson Wide, but sometimes in the slot. Lafell lined up all over the place, and the same goes for Gronk, etc. Trying to isolate players with traditional xyz labels is going to be fruitless. Josh is just NOT going to make it that easy for us....or opposing defenses

I can envision a likely scenario where Edelman comes back a better player than last year, but catches fewer balls and has fewer yards, because he won't see nearly as many targets because everyone else would have stepped up their games relative to their experience. I think Bill, Tom and Josh want to get back to the day where the ball went to the open man. We don't need guys with 1000 yd seasons, when it would be a much more EFFECTIVE offense having several guys with 800 yds than one or 2 with over 1000.

As a fan base, we have GOT to start to step away from our incessant need to pigeonhole players on both sides of the ball. This is NOT going to be a good year for that.

BOTTOM LINE - Our offense is going to be a lot better than the flawed unit that was hamstrung with injuries and inexperience, YET still managed to be a top 3 scoring unit. But the reality is that the ONE area where this offense NEEDS to improve this season is in the red zone. THAT's the area that was a visible weakness last season. Obvious having the best Red Zone receiver in the league will help alot, but LaFell, Harrison and Dobson should also pick up some slack as well.

BTW- I would also like to note that last season, the Pats had the 9th best rushing offense in the league. I expect that rating to improve this season. EVERYTHING in football is cyclical. I think as we watch defenses get smaller and quicker, I see BB getting ahead of the pendulum swing back toward a strong running game with the side benefit of taking some of the pressure off Brady to constantly carry the offense.

Edelman did great this past season as he was an excellent target for Brady. I have high hopes for Amendola going into next season. I don't fault him for last season because he played through a serious injury. I feel if Amendola can stay healthy there's a good possibility that he may become more productive this upcoming season. Either way we won't really know how any of this will unfold until we are into the new season. For now all we can do is watch as Belicheck adds, cuts, and reorganizes the roster to make the Pats the best possible team going into the new season.

Last edited:
There's a vast difference between one's expectation of future events and simply acknowledging what might or might not happen. It's certainly possible that none of Thompkins, Dobson, or Boyce will progress, but the odds of that happening are slim.

It can be the case as first stated. But on average (and we have three examples), it is not true and your response is more than likely correct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference