PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Wallace = target for Pats deep threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the very least, I hope someone signs Wallace to an enormous offer sheet, so the Steelers either (A) lose him or (B) suffer more salary cap problems in a couple of years.

49ers. They could surely use him to pair with Crabtree.

Does anyone think the Rams are going to let Lloyd walk that easily given Fisher is in town, he's their number 1 receiver and outside of Jackson, there's slim to no talent on O?

Does anyone think the Rams are going to let Lloyd walk that easily given Fisher is in town, he's their number 1 receiver and outside of Jackson, there's slim to no talent on O?

Depends if they want to pay him nearly $10 million for next year alone...I wouldn't be surprised if they offered him a contract, but franchising a 31-year old WR who played two months there would surprise me.

Depends if they want to pay him nearly $10 million for next year alone...I wouldn't be surprised if they offered him a contract, but franchising a 31-year old WR who played two months there would surprise me.
I'm thinking more from the standpoint that Fisher will try to put as much talent around Bradford as possible. Lloyd has played well in McDaniels' (Patriots) system for a couple of seasons now. It'll be interesting to see what the Rams do.

I think beating out brady and beating out ocho cinco and tiquan underwood are probably a couple of somewhat different situations.
they say everybody competes for their jobs, but I doubt they drafted o'connell with the idea they could unload brady.

Hence the analogy. To bemoan the draft success of WRs while the passing offense has consistently been the, or near the best in the NFL is silly.

I also don't think people are looking toward the future.
Welker - 30
Branch - 32
Ocho - 33

Then you have to realize that Hernandez is only signed through 2013 and I doubt we keep both Hernandez and Gronk.

Edelman, Slater, and Underwood are pretty much useless in the passing game.

Apparently Ochocinco's cap hit is $6.1 million in 2012 and 2013, so hopefully they can cut him/trade him to get rid of that.

So basically you are looking at a future of 2013/2014 and beyond as:
Aging Welker as #1 WR
Gronk TE
and what else exactly?

It's a huge area of concern that people are glossing over just because Brady is un-f8cking-believable.

Why would you think they wouldn't keep Hernandez? He is an excellent fit in this offense and a walking mismatch.

Why would you think they wouldn't keep Hernandez? He is an excellent fit in this offense and a walking mismatch.

That may be true, but Hernandez seems to drop a lot of balls. And it seemed to me that as the year went on, he seemed that he got a mild case of alligator arms in the middle of the field.

We all know Denver is a ready made trade partner should we decide to unload Hernandez.

Add in that we can take Fleenor at #31 and improve on the blocking the Hernandez does not do well while sacrificing very little as a route runner and receiver.

The only question is what would BB want from Denver to pull the trigger on that deal?

That may be true, but Hernandez seems to drop a lot of balls. And it seemed to me that as the year went on, he seemed that he got a mild case of alligator arms in the middle of the field.

We all know Denver is a ready made trade partner should we decide to unload Hernandez.

Add in that we can take Fleenor at #31 and improve on the blocking the Hernandez does not do well while sacrificing very little as a route runner and receiver.

The only question is what would BB want from Denver to pull the trigger on that deal?
Sorry OJ. but Hernandez is one of the most UNIQUE offensive talents in the NFL. He can run, catch AND block (much underrated) He is a key element in this offense and could not be easily replaced by simply adding a generic TE, especially an untried rookie.

FIRST 3 YEARS OF BOTH. DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ENGLISH

So Catches and TD are cherry picked ? lol. Stick to watching 24 reruns

Introduced into the system at different rates. Your cherry picked stats simply show that Wallace has been improving and getting targeted much more by Ben as he progresses.

LOL . When did Mike Wallace reach 98 catches, or 11 Td's in a season ? Hell, when did Wallace even reach 80 catches ?

1,257 yd 10td 21ypc
1,193 yds 8td 16.6ypc

vs

1,023 yds 7td 12.2ypc
1,143 yds 8td 14.3 ypc

I can cherry pick stats too. Except the ones I picked mean a lot more and show how much more productive Wallace is with the touches he gets. More TDs, yards per catch, and overall production.

you're pretty hung up on cherry picking. Stats are the measure of success; you may not like the fact Colston has better stats but deal with it. If cherry picking stats which are the measure of what NFL uses as the bar bothers you, Why don't we wipe away 50Td's of Brady by cherry picking

So give up #1 pick to acquire RFA Wallace, give mega contract extension to Wallace to have him sit behind Welker and Gronk to catch 40 balls like Deion, since whoever comes in we are not bringing him in to catch 100 balls, since we have Welker and Gronk. Well that makes sense.

Colston has more does less with more, Wallace does more with less. How does that make Colston more productive?

While I would love to see what a Mike Wallace type receiver would do in this offense, I have to caution all those who would sell their souls for a #1 type outside WR, that the flawed, WR needy Patriots pass offense DID just amass the 2nd highest amount of passing yds in the HISTORY of the NFL.

Assuming Mike Wallace became a Patriot, how much more yardage is he likely to add? More likely his receptions would just take away stats from others. Now I would love to have his talents on the field, but at what price? Having a player with his skills is a LUXURY, I'd love to have but there is NO way that anyone here can demonstrate its the kind of NECESSITY that requires giving up premium draft pick and a max contract for what would make what is already one of the top 3 offenses in the league "marginally" better. This is nothing more than an interesting mind game. It will NEVER happen, especially when there are MANY other possible scenarios that can add that skill set as a MUCH lower cost.

What is the most interest aspect of the Mike Wallace scenario is that it is pretty clear that Pittsburgh could very easily lose him this season. Any one of the teams who are 30MM under the cap and want him could create a situation that would make it impossible for the Steelers to keep him.

I've said it before. The Steelers are going to be in for a rough couple of years. That are in a tough cap situation, they are in a very tough division, AND they have an aging team that is in decline, They simply DON'T have the cap and draft resources to quickly rebound. It could very well be that the "mighty" Steelers could be fighting the Browns for the 3rd spot in their own division for the next few years.

While I would love to see what a Mike Wallace type receiver would do in this offense, I have to caution all those who would sell their souls for a #1 type outside WR, that the flawed, WR needy Patriots pass offense DID just amass the 2nd highest amount of passing yds in the HISTORY of the NFL.

Assuming Mike Wallace became a Patriot, how much more yardage is he likely to add? More likely his receptions would just take away stats from others. Now I would love to have his talents on the field, but at what price? Having a player with his skills is a LUXURY, I'd love to have but there is NO way that anyone here can demonstrate its the kind of NECESSITY that requires giving up premium draft pick and a max contract for what would make what is already one of the top 3 offenses in the league "marginally" better. This is nothing more than an interesting mind game. It will NEVER happen, especially when there are MANY other possible scenarios that can add that skill set as a MUCH lower cost.

What is the most interest aspect of the Mike Wallace scenario is that it is pretty clear that Pittsburgh could very easily lose him this season. Any one of the teams who are 30MM under the cap and want him could create a situation that would make it impossible for the Steelers to keep him.

I've said it before. The Steelers are going to be in for a rough couple of years. That are in a tough cap situation, they are in a very tough division, AND they have an aging team that is in decline, They simply DON'T have the cap and draft resources to quickly rebound. It could very well be that the "mighty" Steelers could be fighting the Browns for the 3rd spot in their own division for the next few years.

It's not about overall yards, Ken. It's about the ability to beat the league's best defenses by forcing them to play honest.

As for the "necessity", BB made that clear last year when he traded for Johnson.

excuses of comparing teams they play or do not play or making excuse for dome is grasping for straws, where your argument has nothing to stand on

Be that as it may, throw out Wallace year 1, and Colston year 3(injury with 11 games)

So , First 3 seasons, throwing the outlier season out

Wallace
Season #2 60 Catches
Season #3 72 catches
Avg 66.

Colston
Season #1 70 catches
Season #2 98 catches
Avg. 84

84 > 66
Game over

Career Avg catches:
Wallace : 57.0 (3 seasons)
Colston : 74.8 (6 seasons)

74.8 > 57
Game over, again

Career Avg per games played
Wallace : 171 catches / 48 games = 3.56 catches per game
Colstons : 449 catches / 86 games = 5.22 catches per game

5.22 > 3.56
Game over, again

So, noone cares for YPC, but you are trying to use catches as the best stat for a WR. Welker must be the best WR in the history of the NFL, he's averaging like 100+ a season in NE.

How about how much he produces? Wallace gains more yards with his catches and even though he has less catches, he has more yards, and over the past few seasons, and the same ammount of TD's as Colston. Wallace is also much younger.

Colston's last 3 seasons, should be his prime, correct?

3,240 yards (13.9ypc) 24 TD's (9.8 catches per TD)

Wallace's last 3 seasons, also his first 3, meaning, he shouldn't even be in his prime yet, no?

3,206 yards (18.7ypc) 24 TD's (7.1 catches per TD)

So, including Wallace's rookie season against Colston's 3 most recent seasons, Wallace falls 34 yards short but is averaging just under 5 more yards per catch, and has just as many touchdowns. I don't care how many catches he gets in a ****ty offense compared to a receiver in the NFL's most pass-happy offense by a mile, 2 more catches and he has more yards than Colston. I guarantee you that, barring Wallace missing a season or becoming Mark Sanchez' receiver, you can combine his career to Colston's best 4 seasons and Colston won't come close.

Last edited:

In regards to drops

Last year he had 45rec 9drops, this year 79rec 5drops and still managed to catch 70-72% of the balls thrown his way.

It only takes a couple of drops in key situations to get a bad wrap. He was pretty clutch in the SB until that 1 drop at the end.

His improvement has been off the charts imo, in more areas than just receiving.

Last edited:
As for the "necessity", BB made that clear last year when he traded for Johnson.

Also proof by wanting Brandon Lloyd during the season while we still had Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST