PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Wallace = target for Pats deep threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Wallace and any WR not named Wes Welker that wants more then 6 million a year is not going to be a patriot, a young KR/PR with Lightning speed that can play 5 to 10 snaps a game on offense runing a post route is all the pats need,

Welker gronk and hernandez had 3806 yards rec and 33 TD's if they pats are going to spend any money on FA's it need to go on a vet safety and on keeping Carter and Anderson, pats won 13 games and were one play away from winning it all with the 31th ranked defense imagine how good they can be with the 15th ranked defense that can make key stops when they need them

So, Tate, Price, Chad Jackson had no clue how to run post routes ? Did we send a DL coach to scout them prior to the draft ?

I don't know if the Pats would spend a dime on a WR that was just a burner that could get down the field. We have had that sort of WR and the Pats really don't get that much out of them. They get to be ignored by our offense and eventually ignored by the opposing defenses. However if we can get a guy that can get physical with CB and make plays outside the hash marks at about 20 yards down-field with all the other talents in this offense, that would sound like a nightmare scenario for defenses.

Still and all I think the biggest need is a stud DE.

The New England Patriots will not expend a first round draft pick for Mike Wallace especially considering the number of major holes on the New England Patriots defense:

3-4 Defensive End
3-4 Outside Linebacker
Cornerback
Free Safety (a complete abomination)

The New England Patriots can sign wide receiver Brandon Lloyd in unrestricted free agency and retain all the remaining 2012 NFL draft picks on hand in the process.

(The New England Patriots traded the 2012 5th round draft pick to the Cincinnati Bengals for Chad Ochocinco. The New England Patriots traded the 2012 6th round draft pick to the Philadelphia Eagles for Tracy White. The New England Patriots traded the 2012 7th round draft pick to the Minnesota Vikings in the Randy Moss trade.)

2012 NFL Draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The New England Patriots need a wide receiver who can run the entire route tree with precision and beat man coverage in the process.

Last edited:
So, Tate, Price, Chad Jackson had no clue how to run post routes ? Did we send a DL coach to scout them prior to the draft ?

Price never made it on the field he just sucked. bad Draft pick same with jackson, Tate in 2010 was a better KR and deep threat then with the pats had in 2011 after Branch there was no reason to cut him

Ya mikes probably stayin in stellers nation. He is a Youd reviver and Has alot of talent But....

1. you forgot the trade up in Rd 2 of 2006 for that UF one year wonder Chad Jackson while passing up on a very productive college WR Greg Jennings , 238 receptions at W. Michigan

2. Next, Look at all the WR's drafted after Taylor Price....all contributing...Eric Decker, Emanuel Sanders, Brandon Lafell, Jordan Shipley, Damian Williams

the hits keep on coming......they have no clue how to scout, draft, develop a WR. No clue in 10+ years. Just keep bring scrap heap FA and hope and pray.

Imagine if Dolphins had refused to trade Welker to Pats ! lol.

Ouch that hurts. I forgot about Eric Decker. BB should never ever be allowed to draft a WR ever again. It is unbelievable; the press needs to embarrass him on this point because it seems as if the yes-men in the organization cannot tell the Emperor about his WR picks.

I don't know why he he has such a blind spot for WRs (and RBs) but I suspect that he is looking for humble boy scouts but that it not the way it works for WRs. Nope; the best come with egos and full-length fur coats and the works. Live with it Bill and stop blowing draft picks.

Originally Posted by DonBlackmon55
1. you forgot the trade up in Rd 2 of 2006 for that UF one year wonder Chad Jackson while passing up on a very productive college WR Greg Jennings , 238 receptions at W. Michigan

2. Next, Look at all the WR's drafted after Taylor Price....all contributing...Eric Decker, Emanuel Sanders, Brandon Lafell, Jordan Shipley, Damian Williams

the hits keep on coming......they have no clue how to scout, draft, develop a WR. No clue in 10+ years. Just keep bring scrap heap FA and hope and pray.

Imagine if Dolphins had refused to trade Welker to Pats ! lol.

Miami didn't trade Welker to the Patriots. They tendered him at a 2nd round level. The Pats agreed to an offer sheet with Welker that had a poison pill, something like he had to play at least 5 games per year in Foxboro. At the time it was fairly commonplace but the league made the Patriots throw in an extra pick (I think it was a 6th rounder.)

it seems as if the yes-men in the organization cannot tell the Emperor about his WR picks

Weren't Chad Jackson and Maroney, for that matter both McDaniels idea?

Weren't Chad Jackson and Maroney, for that matter both McDaniels idea?

Well, if you want to take Holley's word as gospel in the "War Room":

• Scouts were ticked off in 2006 that Belichick overrode their reports and picked Laurence Maroney in the first round (apparently on the strong advice of Josh McDaniels' brother Ben, one of the Maroney's college coaches) and Chad Jackson in the second round -- even after receivers coach Brian Daboll said he didn't want to coach Jackson.

Even if McDaniels pushed for drafting them, Belichick is the one who ultimately signed off on those picks.

At least Maroney showed promise in his rookie year, Jackson didn't do jack **** (and to think, we traded up for him).

-Jamman

Mike Wallace and any WR not named Wes Welker that wants more then 6 million a year is not going to be a patriot, a young KR/PR with Lightning speed that can play 5 to 10 snaps a game on offense runing a post route is all the pats need,

Welker gronk and hernandez had 3806 yards rec and 33 TD's if they pats are going to spend any money on FA's it need to go on a vet safety and on keeping Carter and Anderson, pats won 13 games and were one play away from winning it all with the 31th ranked defense imagine how good they can be with the 15th ranked defense that can make key stops when they need them

Completely agree.
The changes at WR will be Branch is back, or a like replacement comes in.
85 goes, and a like and cheaper replacement comes in, either and aging vet or rookie, and Edelman gets competition from draft picks or cheap FAs.
The focus needs to be on changing the defense, not the offense.

Ouch that hurts. I forgot about Eric Decker. BB should never ever be allowed to draft a WR ever again. It is unbelievable; the press needs to embarrass him on this point because it seems as if the yes-men in the organization cannot tell the Emperor about his WR picks.

I don't know why he he has such a blind spot for WRs (and RBs) but I suspect that he is looking for humble boy scouts but that it not the way it works for WRs. Nope; the best come with egos and full-length fur coats and the works. Live with it Bill and stop blowing draft picks.

From 2005-2011 which appears to be the timeframe in question the Patriot offense is

1st in scoring
2nd in passing yards
1st in TD passes
1st in QB rating
1st in fewest Ints
3rd in % completed

Its is ridiculous to say that the draft picks on WRs over this period of time has hurt the passing game or franchise.

Miami didn't trade Welker to the Patriots. They tendered him at a 2nd round level. The Pats agreed to an offer sheet with Welker that had a poison pill, something like he had to play at least 5 games per year in Foxboro. At the time it was fairly commonplace but the league made the Patriots throw in an extra pick (I think it was a 6th rounder.)

Incorrect.

Patriots snag Welker from Dolphins via trade - NFL - ESPN

Given that your scenario is precisely the scenario that was in place this year with Slater/The haircut, I'll disagree with you. People like to equate problems overcome with "no problem". They're not the same, however. If the WR position hadn't been an issue before the season, Chad Johnson would never have been brought in. Given that Johnson did essentially nothing last season and nobody else stepped up, that leaves the problem in place.

Last edited:
From 2005-2011 which appears to be the timeframe in question the Patriot offense is

1st in scoring
2nd in passing yards
1st in TD passes
1st in QB rating
1st in fewest Ints
3rd in % completed

Its is ridiculous to say that the draft picks on WRs over this period of time has hurt the passing game or franchise.

I think on messageboards it always ends up with people arguing these extreme viewpoints, when it's rarely the case that things are so black and white.

what you say is true, that bottom line results matter, and I wouldn't say drafting some dud wr has been first on a list of issues, but that doesn't mean it can't be on the list.

those stats you post up are regular season stats, and I think we'd probably all be in agreement that at this point the fans and players set the bar a little higher than regular season success.

to use specific examples, while it's unquestionably a total team game, one problem we had that contributed to the '06 loss is lack of a guy like welker who could hold onto a ball.
we couldn't keep a drive alive in the second half, and that was a big factor.
replace caldwell with a welker and we win that game, and the superbowl, imo.
if you want to look at the 2 giants superbowls, neither game was up to our expected offensive output, and a few extra points might mean 2 more superbowls.

when the guy goes through a list and looks at each case I think they can be evaluated (in hindsight) without any macro analysis of 6 years worth or regular season stats, and that's not even including the players at other positions we might have used those picks on instead.

but everybody here would have plenty of busts on their mock drafts, as well as the real drafts of the rest of the nfl.

I think on messageboards it always ends up with people arguing these extreme viewpoints, when it's rarely the case that things are so black and white.

what you say is true, that bottom line results matter, and I wouldn't say drafting some dud wr has been first on a list of issues, but that doesn't mean it can't be on the list.

those stats you post up are regular season stats, and I think we'd probably all be in agreement that at this point the fans and players set the bar a little higher than regular season success.

to use specific examples, while it's unquestionably a total team game, one problem we had that contributed to the '06 loss is lack of a guy like welker who could hold onto a ball.
we couldn't keep a drive alive in the second half, and that was a big factor.
replace caldwell with a welker and we win that game, and the superbowl, imo.
if you want to look at the 2 giants superbowls, neither game was up to our expected offensive output, and a few extra points might mean 2 more superbowls.

when the guy goes through a list and looks at each case I think they can be evaluated (in hindsight) without any macro analysis of 6 years worth or regular season stats, and that's not even including the players at other positions we might have used those picks on instead.

but everybody here would have plenty of busts on their mock drafts, as well as the real drafts of the rest of the nfl.

The point was that someone was bemoaning the WR draft choices, and this shows that the result show its a nonfactor.

Of course having better players at any position makes a better team, but the opportunity lost because Chad Jackson or Taylor Price failed is tiny.

To put it another way, are we going to whine about the Kevin OConnell pick becuase he didn't beat out Brady and we could have used a QB who put a few more points on the board in a SB?

Given that your scenario is precisely the scenario that was in place this year with Slater/The haircut, I'll disagree with you. People like to equate problems overcome with "no problem". They're not the same, however. If the WR position hadn't been an issue before the season, Chad Johnson would never have been brought in. Given that Johnson did essentially nothing last season and nobody else stepped up, that leaves the problem in place.

I also don't think people are looking toward the future.
Welker - 30
Branch - 32
Ocho - 33

Then you have to realize that Hernandez is only signed through 2013 and I doubt we keep both Hernandez and Gronk.

Edelman, Slater, and Underwood are pretty much useless in the passing game.

Apparently Ochocinco's cap hit is $6.1 million in 2012 and 2013, so hopefully they can cut him/trade him to get rid of that.

So basically you are looking at a future of 2013/2014 and beyond as:
Aging Welker as #1 WR
Gronk TE
and what else exactly?

It's a huge area of concern that people are glossing over just because Brady is un-f8cking-believable.

To put it another way, are we going to whine about the Kevin OConnell pick becuase he didn't beat out Brady and we could have used a QB who put a few more points on the board in a SB?

I think beating out brady and beating out ocho cinco and tiquan underwood are probably a couple of somewhat different situations.
they say everybody competes for their jobs, but I doubt they drafted o'connell with the idea they could unload brady.

At the very least, I hope someone signs Wallace to an enormous offer sheet, so the Steelers either (A) lose him or (B) suffer more salary cap problems in a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes