PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Sims-Walker a free agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradfordPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Apparently the Jaguars are moving on.

I guess this will be the "we should sign him" thread.

Thoughts on his ability to fit in with the Patriots?

LINK

EDIT:
This link is more reliable....

Last edited:
Re: Mike Simms-Walker a free agent?

I think he would be a nice pickup......SIGN THE BEAST!

Last edited:

This is the first "sign him" thread the pats should be all over.

Productive with the Jags, 6'2 big receiver, should be affordable. Give him Brady he could be very good.

Could play a Jabar Gaffney type role in this offense

Problem is we have guys like him in Price and Tate and since those 2 are not going anywhere and with Welker and Branch coming back,all we need is a true down the field bomb threat and WR roster for 2011 is complete....Tate is not the man for that,Walker is neither.

We need a #1 receiver,we have plenty of #2s and 3s type receivers and that's what Walker is.

Last edited:
I'm happy to say that I've been on the Mike Sims-Walker bandwagon for some time now. I really want him. He is the solution to every weakness our WR corps has, and that being size and a vertical threat(not the 40 yards downfield variety but the 40 inches above the CBs head variety). The guy has a ton of talent that has gone under the radar with David Garrard throwing to him and Maurice Jones-Drew taking on the bulk of the offensive workload.

i like he's game i think him and Brady would be a perfact fit

Last edited:

"sign the beast" is right.

as long as there's no hidden reason he was let go.

I'd be happy with rice or sims walker. Sims walker/ rice as the number 1. Branch on the other side. Welker as a slot. And im really intersted in taylor price. His combine numbers are almost identical to desean jacksons. Price is like 2 inches taller and he averaged 14 ypc at osu. Tate i think will always be a special teams guy. He doesnt have that go up and get the ball mentality maybe he could be a good slot guy but hed have to battle edelman for the 2nd slot guy.

I'd be happy with rice or sims walker. Sims walker/ rice as the number 1. Branch on the other side. Welker as a slot. And im really intersted in taylor price. His combine numbers are almost identical to desean jacksons. Price is like 2 inches taller and he averaged 14 ypc at osu. Tate i think will always be a special teams guy. He doesnt have that go up and get the ball mentality maybe he could be a good slot guy but hed have to battle edelman for the 2nd slot guy.

FYI, not OSU, but University of Ohio, which is part of why he was available in the late third.

I like MSW, but I do not think this would be the best move for the Pats for a few reasons:

1) Given the need for a WR around the league, and the general scarcity of actual FA WRs (does not include players who have tenders or tags) I think MSW would come with a decently sized contract...probably like 20-30m over 4 years type of thing. I'd take him for like 3 or 4 mil a year max

2) After a "breakout year" (read 800 yrds and 7td), he comes back and loses his starting job to Mike Thomas before the halfway point??? He was held catchless in 3 games and only broke 50 yrds in 2 games. I know jax regressed on offense last season, but MSW is not a top 15 receiver, which brings me to my next point.

3) We already have 2 receivers of equal or better ability in Welker and Branch. I am sure MSW would make us better on offense in some way, but we as pats fan should be more specific when we say WR is a need. THe overall position of WR is not a need. The need is for a physical deep threat WR to counter the playing styles of Welker and Branch. We have a surplus of good but not great guys like MSW, adding him is just going to give us more of the same. Let teams like the Rams reach for this guy

Here's an idea...let the teams who draft before us, who need WRs, overpay in FA market so we can snag something nice in the draft

Him and MJD have carried that offense for the last two years. He could have a Welker-type explosion on this team.

I'd be happy to see him on the team. But some team will no doubt offer way above the odds! Probably the Redskins ;)

I would think his best comparison might be David Givens... Jags on offense stunk, and defenses almost always stacked the box to stop MJD. not sure, could be ok...

Sims-Walker has a lot of trouble with physical corners playing bump and run coverage. Considering the corners in our division, he'll have to work on that should the Patriots sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye