PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss: Notes from Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a twisted sort of way this is a good thing if it happens. It would mean Mayo and all the other young rookies that have been drafted or signed are doing a bang-up job. No?
Interesting way of looking at it, but yeah, if the rooks beat him out, teh Pats get production for less $$$ and get younger in the process with players who will likely be even better next year.

How many times you have to reguritate you pathological hate of Jackson? Do you think there is still one person on Patsfans who hasn't read your hate posts for the last two years over and over ad nauseum? Hamstring in year one. Bust. ACL in year two. Bust. Repeat daily.

Over the last two years you have ten times the mindless CJ IS A BUST posts as anyone who ever said that Jackson's two injury years did not prove anything.

Jackson is healthy this year. This is his year to prove himself or not prove himself. As of the first preseason game, he is tending toward not, but whether he does or does not, calling him a bust based on not getting on the field for two years is plain ignorant.

Once again,
If he doesn't make the team, I will say he didn't work out. If he does make the team, I'm sure you'll continue to spew.

Good grief!

Uh, did you and the others obsessed with this player read my Training Camp posts? The parts describing C Jackson? Obviously you did not, because it soes not support your case.

But if I post a considered opinion about the INT play in the pre-season game which criticizes the guy, a bunch of guys like those posting here in indignation go ballistic. You're obsessed.

Where was your indignation over the remark about Cassel? By your own 'thinking' you folks must all be Cassel haters.

Finally your ten times remark is totally and absolutely off base. Once you go thru the recent CJ threads go count the # of posts I've made. Not many. Then go back and count the 1st whiner's posts on the topic. You can even count against me the posts where I said we need to see a full training camp and games before making any decision. Once you've finished, you can post your recantation and apology in this thread.

I am not concerned whether Hobson makes the team or not.

At this point, linebacker, along with running back, is the deepest position on the team. With veterans Thomas, Vrabel, and Bruschi, emerging player Woods, and rookies Mayo, Crable, Guyton, and Redd, and Seau in waiting, Hobson is not critical. It would be great for the team to have another veteran ILB to pair with Bruschi right now. If not, the team is stacked.

Where are all the people who told me defiantly that Hobson would be a great player for you guys b/c he was held back by lousy coaching and supporting cast?

Where are all the people who told me defiantly that Hobson would be a great player for you guys b/c he was held back by lousy coaching and supporting cast?

*mumble* can't talk, mouth full of crow *mumble* ;)

I wasn't one of them, but the lousy coach and supporting cast is right.

Besides, just because Hobson is struggling with the transition doesn't mean he won't be a solid player once he gets up to speed. Only time will tell.

I wasn't one of them, but the lousy coach and supporting cast is right.

Besides, just because Hobson is struggling with the transition doesn't mean he won't be a solid player once he gets up to speed. Only time will tell.

not saying he wont b/c IMO he will find some way to at worst be an ok rotational player. I will say though that the lack of talent around him was no problem for the beast Dave Harris

*mumble* can't talk, mouth full of crow *mumble* ;)

:D

Last edited:
Uh, did you and the others obsessed with this player read my Training Camp posts? The parts describing C Jackson? Obviously you did not, because it soes not support your case.

But if I post a considered opinion about the INT play in the pre-season game which criticizes the guy, a bunch of guys like those posting here in indignation go ballistic. You're obsessed.

Where was your indignation over the remark about Cassel? By your own 'thinking' you folks must all be Cassel haters.

Finally your ten times remark is totally and absolutely off base. Once you go thru the recent CJ threads go count the # of posts I've made. Not many. Then go back and count the 1st whiner's posts on the topic. You can even count against me the posts where I said we need to see a full training camp and games before making any decision. Once you've finished, you can post your recantation and apology in this thread.

It's not quantity of posts, it is content. You make grandeous conclusions based on very limited data (Jackson can't get separation based on one training camp report or that he doesn't know the playbook because he may or may not ran the wrong route on one play). You use your biases against Jackson to jump to conclusions.

I have never used any biases to form an opinion. I have said we need the full year to get a real picture of the guy. You may have said we need a full preseason to see, but you are just giving it lipservice since you have already labelled him a bust.

As for my post count on this subject, I think my post count on this board in the last few weeks has been much higher than yours in all threads. Why don't we look at percentage of posts? I bet your percentage of your posts on the Jackson topic is greater than mine.

not saying he wont b/c IMO he will find some way to at worst be an ok rotational player. I will say though that the lack of talent around him was no problem for the beast Dave Harris

How many games did Harris play the last two years? How many people play on defense?

I still maintain that Hobson was miscast as an OLB and better suited at ILB. Whether he can pick up the Pats' defense or not is another thing.

Last edited:
How many games did Harris play the last two years? How many people play on defense?

I still maintain that Hobson was miscast as an OLB and better suited at ILB. Whether he can pick up the Pats' defense or not is another thing.

I agree on your Hobson point, as for the point on Harris. This man started nine games and was a force out there laying out big hits,crushing RB's and picking up a nice five sack total. He is still very raw at this point but if Gholston pans out, I stay up nights thinking about a LB core of Pace, Harris and Gholston

I agree on your Hobson point, as for the point on Harris. This man started nine games and was a force out there laying out big hits,crushing RB's and picking up a nice five sack total. He is still very raw at this point but if Gholston pans out, I stay up nights thinking about a LB core of Pace, Harris and Gholston

I am saying that Harris only started 9 games in the two seasons Hobson played under Mangini. That is only about a 1/4 of the games. I wasn't belittling Harris because I think he is a good player.

I would hold you giddiness about the LB corp right now. Gholston is still raw and looks to be struggling with the transistionto OLB. If he ever lives up to expectations, it may take him time.

As for Pace, he needs to prove he isn't just a one year wonder in a contract year. You already have that in Bryan Thomas. Besides, he had a good, not great year last year. I wanted the Pats to sign him during the offseason, but I figured it would be that he would get more of a value deal. I don't know if he will ever be a stud OLB, but he appears to be good with the right coaching.

As for Hobson, would really like to see him get comfortable and become a regular part of the rotation. Mayo should be fine but I think Bruschi's snaps need to be limited so he can be effective in situational play. I don't trust Alexander in anything but spot duty. Guyton has great skills but is raw. Ruud seems to have good instincts but is likely limited to ST at this point.

A confident and productive Hobson would go a long way to solidifying the middle of the defense. The talent level of the defense seems much improved this year, but I would like a steady veteran presence along with Bruschi for the big games on the schedule.

I would like to see that. I hold out hope for seeing that. But I am not confident that he will become that. My fear would be that a guy like Guyton, who might be raw, but shows some talent will get cut to keep a veteran who will be a liabilty. If Guyton continues to play better then Hobson I am all in favor of cutting him.

I do not like cutting guys that show some promise for guy that do not based on the "experience" factor. Unless that experience is with the team working in the role that is expected of them, I see it as another Chad Brown/Monty Beisel problem. Even if the rookie needs to take some serious lumps to get up to speed, especially with talent around them and the offense to back them up, with what is a fairly weak schedule, I'd rather take the upside bet.

It's not quantity of posts, it is content. You make grandeous conclusions based on very limited data (Jackson can't get separation based on one training camp report or that he doesn't know the playbook because he may or may not ran the wrong route on one play). You use your biases against Jackson to jump to conclusions.

I have never used any biases to form an opinion. I have said we need the full year to get a real picture of the guy. You may have said we need a full preseason to see, but you are just giving it lipservice since you have already labelled him a bust.

As for my post count on this subject, I think my post count on this board in the last few weeks has been much higher than yours in all threads. Why don't we look at percentage of posts? I bet your percentage of your posts on the Jackson topic is greater than mine.

In my camp posts or comments in other threads this season, I have not said that he does not know the playbook. I am guilty of accepting an astute observer's observations about separation since he'd said he's focused on the player during his camp visits. You are obsessed with the issue and player, taking personal affront at camp observations and critiques of pre-season plays. Were you not obsessed, you'd be defending Cassel and CJ Jones with similar passion and number of posts.

Last edited:
In my camp posts or comments in other threads this season, I have not said that he does not know the playbook. I am guilty of accepting an astute observer's observations about separation since he'd said he's focused on the player during his camp visits. You are obsessed with the issue and player, taking personal affront at camp observations and critiques of pre-season plays. Were you not obsessed, you'd be defending Cassel and CJ Jones with similar passion and number of posts.

Huh? Personal affront? I guess when I praised it for being an insightful analysis, but only one practice I was affronted? Sorry, I am not a reactionary yahoo fan. Maybe I should dumb myself down and overreact based on a practice or two or one preseason game. I am sorry for actual taking a rational approach and being will to give a player a chance to either succeed or hang himself.

I do not defend Cassel because his decline started last preseason. He seems to have regressed for over a year now and he is not coming off a major injury. I haven't seen anything out of Cassel in over a year to justify him as our #2 QB. Unlike Jackson, I don't see this as a make or break season. I think that might have passed already.

I do not defend CJ Jones because he had zero shot at making the 53 man roster coming into camp. Jones coming into camp best shot at making the team was as a practice squad player. So if he screwed up the game on Thursday, it didn't change his chances of making the 53 man roster. Why would I concern myself with a guy who will not be on the team by the end of the month and never really had much of a shot to make the team?

You don't see me trashing any player based on one practice or preseason game either. There just isn't as much of the irrational hate of any player this preseason other than Jackson.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back