PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Martz, anyone? 49ers fired him today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mike Martz, anyone? 49ers fired him today ...

Did he make Capers the coordinator? Is Capers background (a 3-4 2 gap defensive guy) as different as Martz' to the Patriots system? Did he change the system with Capers?

A resounding no on all counts.

It doesn't take a voice of authority. Its as obvious as the nose on anyone's face (or should be) whose been watching the past 8 years.

J D Sal

Based on Tune's response to your post, not anytime soon.

For the record: New England's offensive scheme is a Belichick/Weiss creation that BB put in place way back in the dark days of NE media cutting & pasting the Cleveburgh Plain Squealer stories into their copy. It's designed to be "adaptable" to the game plan - say it with me boys and girls "adaptable," very good! BB is not adverse to bringing in veteran coaches from other systems (Pete Mangurian, Dom Capers), but he wants them to learn the "New England" system before he considers handing the reigns over. I have no doubt that having them on staff as Position coaches allows the young kids he is grooming to learn from the veterans - which is why I don't expect Martz anytime soon, too strong a personality (he's nuckingfutz!) to bring in under whomever is heir apparent to Josh.

If you fellows don't think BB could accommodate Martz (or another "outsider" of similar stature) via scheme and philosophy, you're wrong. Just because he hasn't done it yet doesn't mean it's out of the question. BB has proven adaptable in other areas and I don't doubt for a second that he'd bring in a proven veteran coordinator if he concludes it would be an upgrade over whomever is already on staff. I'm not campaigning for Martz personally. I'm just saying that he could succeed in New England IF BB wanted him. We certainly have the players to shine in a Martz-style offense, which in many respects already is complementary to what's in place under McDaniels.

Last edited:
The best fit for Martz might be in Buffalo. The Bills seem to have a decent amount of talent on offense, but always rank low in offensive categories and scoring. They kept Jauron, but need to make some changes there.

A couple of notes about Martz that a little birdie passed along to me:

* 2008 was Mike Martz's 10th season as either an offensive coordinator or head coach in the NFL. From '99-2008, his offenses have turned the ball over more than 30 times each season (38.0 per season).

TURNOVERS
2008 SF OC 35 <
2007 DET OC 36
2006 DET OC 39
2005 STL HC 37
2004 STL HC 39
2003 STL HC 39
2002 STL HC 45
2001 STL HC 44
2000 STL HC 35
1999 STL OC 31

Any questions?

Personell has SOMETHING to do with it - but not everything.

Last edited:
Re: Mike Martz, anyone? 49ers fired him today ...

Anyone dismissing Martz as a "bum" needs to take a step back. Martz engineered the "Greatest Show on Turf" and those guys were unstoppable on offense. He also made Shaun Hill look decent during the second half of the 49ers season this year. The guy is a brilliant offensive mind. HOWEVER, he had some shortcomings as a head coach. His arrogance lost the Super Bowl against the Pats but under the right HC, the guy is a valuable asset.

I doubt BB will ever hire him, but I LOL when people are dismissing him as an offensive mind.

i fully agree. Last yr Detriot said they wanted to go to a run oriented offense and control the ball than pass and got rid of martz. Look where it got them. IMO all these old school players and coaches just like the stupid analysts on TV keep believing on "run the ball, stop then run" theory thinking it should be enough. The league has changed but they dont realize. SF will suffer quite a bit if they also go with the same kind of off philosophy.

A couple of notes about Martz that a little birdie passed along to me:

* 2008 was Mike Martz's 10th season as either an offensive coordinator or head coach in the NFL. From '99-2008, his offenses have turned the ball over more than 30 times each season (38.0 per season).

TURNOVERS
2008 SF OC 35 <
2007 DET OC 36
2006 DET OC 39
2005 STL HC 37
2004 STL HC 39
2003 STL HC 39
2002 STL HC 45
2001 STL HC 44
2000 STL HC 35
1999 STL OC 31

Any questions?

Personell has SOMETHING to do with it - but not everything.

It has nothing to do with personnel.

Martz doesn't believe limiting turnovers is a priority. He thinks turnovers are an acceptable consequence of aggressive offense. Most coaches would tell you a punt is better than a fumble. Martz would say he'd rather have a guy fumble trying to make a play than not try to make the play and have to punt. The theory is if you fumble this time but make a big play next time you came out ahead.

It certainly can work. He has had tremendous success with his philosophy. It is also why he never be BB's offensive coordinator. BB values limiting turnovers above everything.

The only way he would ever end up on BB's staff was if he was going to change the way he runs an offense which begs the question of why you'd want Martz if you weren't going to let him be Martz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back