PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Martz, anyone? 49ers fired him today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mike Martz, anyone? 49ers fired him today ...

I like Martz and I think he could fit in fine here, Belichick doesn't have a history of going outside of the organization for top jobs though. OTOH there doesn't appear to be a clear succession plan if McDaniels leaves.
When Weiss left, did anyone think that the clear succession plan was McDaniels ?

When Weiss left, did anyone think that the clear succession plan was McDaniels ?
I think so, he was young but he was the QB coach and had worked hand in hand with The Franchise.

Martz is getting to be like the pissed off old curmudgeon that wonders why nobody wants him anymore . On paper, it was a perfect fit, him and the defense oriented Singletary. Obviously, it wasn't going to work.

BB is not going to bring in anyone from outside which would requirea change in the system.

If Martz's dome dwelling Rams were the "Greatest Show on Turf" then what do the higher scoring 2007 Pats get for a nickname? The "Greatest Show on Snow, in Wind, and Rain"?

Do you really want a guy that even the Lions thought was not very good?

If anything, the Lions' rejection of him is a point in his favor, their ownership and front office is so completely inept.

And that move backfired, didn't it? No way they go 0-16 with Martz calling the plays. For all his personal issues, he has had more success in his career and is more competent than anyone else who was in that organization.

He is an upgrade for most teams, just not one close to the top like the Patriots.

I've pondered the question- no thanks!

Maybe Martz just needs to work under the right head coach. ;)

Tell me about it.;) I wouldn't have any problems with the hire...go Josh go...go Josh go.;):D

he is talented.

I dunno if he is a good fit for the Pats.

I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I also wouldn't hold my breath though...

it is what it is.

I think Martz could do some really unique things with our offense. I wouldn't mind this - the guy is good if he has a talented cast to play mad scientist with.

Shanahan fo RB's coach! The guy has never not turned a back into a stud - best in the business at creating blocking schemes to open up the run.

Anyone dismissing Martz as a "bum" needs to take a step back. Martz engineered the "Greatest Show on Turf" and those guys were unstoppable on offense. He also made Shaun Hill look decent during the second half of the 49ers season this year. The guy is a brilliant offensive mind. HOWEVER, he had some shortcomings as a head coach. His arrogance lost the Super Bowl against the Pats but under the right HC, the guy is a valuable asset.

I doubt BB will ever hire him, but I LOL when people are dismissing him as an offensive mind.

Anyone dismissing Martz as a "bum" needs to take a step back. Martz engineered the "Greatest Show on Turf" and those guys were unstoppable on offense. He also made Shaun Hill look decent during the second half of the 49ers season this year. The guy is a brilliant offensive mind. HOWEVER, he had some shortcomings as a head coach. His arrogance lost the Super Bowl against the Pats but under the right HC, the guy is a valuable asset.

I doubt BB will ever hire him, but I LOL when people are dismissing him as an offensive mind.
Well, the most memorable part of this 49er season might have been the terrible clock management by the 49ers at the end of the Arizona game, which the 49ers lost and cost them an 8 - 8 record. That was on the offense, and Martz was the OC. If he's really good, why'd the 49ers dump him? I think he's losing it. JMO. Also, I don't know how you can say that about Hill. JT O'Sullivan was Martz's guy. It was Singletary that benched JT and put Hill out there, helping turn the season around.

Ummm, no.

They value the system. They aren't going to change it. I think its a good theory.

Besides, Martz is a complete moron. I wish this particular firing of his would have left these annual threads well behind. Sometimes it amazes me how people who watch this team so closely still don't get it.

BB is not going to go with a new offensive system after having it installed here for 8 years. He isn't going to abandon the Fairbanks/Erhardt base system he has been around his whole career and which the basics of still today form the basis of our present offense.

Martz is from a different family, planet, etc. BB may respect his creativity, whatever. He probably respects Monte Kiffin too. Doesn't mean he is pulling a 180 and running a 1-gap cover 2 Tampa defense with 220 lb. linebackers anytime soon.

He respects the system and stability more. He doesn't just pull "name" guys off the street and upset all the techniques, formations, lingo, philosophy he has instilled in the offense for 8 years and change it up. Ridiculous.

When will many of their own fans ever truly understand the Patriots and Belichick's philosophy and what he has built and why?

J D Sal

Last edited:

Ummm, no.

They value the system. They aren't going to change it. I think its a good theory.

Besides, Martz is a complete moron. I wish this particular firing of his would have left these annual threads well behind. Sometimes it amazes me how people who watch this team so closely still don't get it.

BB is not going to go with a new offensive system after having it installed here for 8 years. He isn't going to abandon the Fairbanks/Erhardt base system he has been around his whole career and which the basics of still today form the basis of our present offense.

Martz is from a different family, planet, etc. BB may respect his creativity, whatever. He probably respects Monte Kiffin too. Doesn't mean he is pulling a 180 and running a 1-gap cover 2 Tampa defense with 220 lb. linebackers anytime soon.

He respects the system and stability more. He doesn't just pull "name" guys off the street and upset all the techniques, formations, lingo, philosophy he has instilled in the offense for 8 years and change it up. Ridiculous.

When will many of their own fans ever truly understand the Patriots and Belichick's philosophy and what he has built and why?

J D Sal

Well, I guess the self-proclaimed "voice of authority" has spoken! Yeah, you're right -- BB never goes for "name guys" like Dom Capers to lend their expertise as assistant coaches. Silly us for entertaining such forbidden possibilities. Perhaps someday you might join those who also realize that part of what got BB and the Pats to where they are is the willingness and ability to think outside the box.

Last edited:

I can't believe i'm saying this, but I agree with 'condon84'. :D

For those who question Martz as an OC, and question his offensive schemes, where do you think BB got the model for the Pats' 07 offense? Do I think BB would hire him? Yes, IF, we don't already have someone inhouse, which I believe they do. So I doubt it would happen, but some of you forget that the Lions were much better with him, and the Rams havent done sh*t since him. He's got his issues, but so does Josh, Charlie, and a whole lotta guys. Doesnt mean they can't coach. To say Martz goes for the big play too often, leads me to think you guys didnt watch the Pats 07 season. :rolleyes:

J D Sal
Based on Tune's response to your post, not anytime soon.

For the record: New England's offensive scheme is a Belichick/Weiss creation that BB put in place way back in the dark days of NE media cutting & pasting the Cleveburgh Plain Squealer stories into their copy. It's designed to be "adaptable" to the game plan - say it with me boys and girls "adaptable," very good! BB is not adverse to bringing in veteran coaches from other systems (Pete Mangurian, Dom Capers), but he wants them to learn the "New England" system before he considers handing the reigns over. I have no doubt that having them on staff as Position coaches allows the young kids he is grooming to learn from the veterans - which is why I don't expect Martz anytime soon, too strong a personality (he's nuckingfutz!) to bring in under whomever is heir apparent to Josh.

Well, I guess the self-proclaimed "voice of authority" has spoken! Yeah, you're right -- BB never goes for "name guys" like Dom Capers to lend their expertise as assistant coaches. Silly us for entertaining such forbidden possibilities. Perhaps someday you might join those who also realize that part of what got BB and the Pats to where they are is the willingness and ability to think outside the box.
Did he make Capers the coordinator? Is Capers background (a 3-4 2 gap defensive guy) as different as Martz' to the Patriots system? Did he change the system with Capers?

A resounding no on all counts.

It doesn't take a voice of authority. Its as obvious as the nose on anyone's face (or should be) whose been watching the past 8 years.

J D Sal

Martz is an awful head coach, because he is too reckless. He did take a team to the Superbowl (I forget who they lost to?).

But if he was under a strong HC, he could be a very good OC. I don't know if BB would do it, but I'm sure that Martz might put his ego and some of his schemes aside for a chance at coaching Brady/Moss/Welker et al.

Martz's biggest problem is that he is too stubborn sometimes with what he wants to do and thinks that he is the smartest guy in the room, neither or which he could assume under BB. I'm not syaing that I'm hoping for this, but it would be very interesting to see.

Martz is an awful head coach, because he is too reckless. He did take a team to the Superbowl (I forget who they lost to?).

But if he was under a strong HC, he could be a very good OC. I don't know if BB would do it, but I'm sure that Martz might put his ego and some of his schemes aside for a chance at coaching Brady/Moss/Welker et al.

Martz's biggest problem is that he is too stubborn sometimes with what he wants to do and thinks that he is the smartest guy in the room, neither or which he could assume under BB. I'm not syaing that I'm hoping for this, but it would be very interesting to see.
Well, the 49ers stated reason for firing Martz was because they want a long term solution to the OC position. So, why would a much more established team (the Patriots) want a guy the 9ers deemed a short time guy? So many reasons to not hire this guy...

If Martz's dome dwelling Rams were the "Greatest Show on Turf" then what do the higher scoring 2007 Pats get for a nickname? The "Greatest Show on Snow, in Wind, and Rain"?

The greatest team ever assembled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back